Scarborough Page 3

Ep 6
Really slow, but I think it's supposed to be laid back like the village. Two many stories spinning in slooow motion, but I'll say it again, I like it. I just don't think we'll see a second series.

Quote: cmroberts @ 12th October 2019, 12:01 AM

I just don't think we'll see a second series.

I'm surprised it ever got a first series.

That's not to say it's no good: it's actually very good indeed.

When it comes to writing plain, honest and very funny British comedy-drama, Derren Litten has no equal in my book.

His style of comedy isn't everybody's cup of tea but I have to give him credit: he's the best in the world at what he does.

So why am I surprised Scarborough was ever commissioned?

There are people at the BBC who think Derren and his sense of humour are not what the British public should be exposed to in this modern day and age.

Having said that, Derren is a big-name in TV comedy and he deserves to be because his talent is huge: he puts millions of bums on millions of seats. Accordingly, there are those at the BBC who want to keep him.

Having said that, Julius Caesar was a big name in ancient Rome but, when the knives are out, the knives are out.

It must be hard at the BBC with so much animosity when there isn't as much programming (compared to US). It's surprising that they actually get anything on air.
I tried finding some of Derren Litten's stand up on YouTube and barely anything came up.

Quote: cmroberts @ 17th October 2019, 5:07 AM

I tried finding some of Derren Litten's stand up on YouTube and barely anything came up.

Derren Litten isn't a stand-up comedian: he's a writer.

When it comes to writing ensemble comedy set among the British working class, he is (for my money) the best there's ever been.

If you watch Benidorm on Netflix (the first six series are available), you'll see what I'm talking about.

He can sometimes be a little too rude for my own personal taste but, be that as it may, he remains a spectacularly talented writer.

In Scarborough, there's some marvellously funny dialogue and the quality of the acting is superb.

Quote: cmroberts @ 12th October 2019, 12:01 AM

Really slow.

Agread , it's a laugh an hour.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th October 2019, 8:54 AM

If you watch Benidorm on Netflix (the first six series are available), you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also agreed, Benidorm is wonderfully written, but Scarborough doesn't even come close. Benidorm had more colour and more engaging characters imo. It had a fun holiday vibe, Scarborough is just dreary.

Benidorm was a vividly colourful festival of comedy that gave us more laughs per minute than we had any right to expect for the price of a BBC licence fee.

Scarborough is a different kettle of comedy: there's more drama, more plot and necessarily, therefore, the laughs are fewer and further between than in the joke-packed Benidorm. Nevertheless, there is still plenty of funny stuff and an abundance of excellent comedy dialogue.

It's pulling in just over 2 million viewers per episode whereas Benidorm finished its mammoth 10-series run with 3 million.

As I say, the two shows are very different but I think there's a lot to like about Scarborough.

I didn't carry on watching live but catching up now, seems to be better to binge if watching Episode 2 and 3 right next to each other is anything to go by, watching 4-6 later. I'm enjoying it more as it unfolds (and it seems it's definitely an unfolding story, with the truth of the 'burglary' and the ongoing money handbag saga), and as we get to know the characters more.

Maybe I'll give it a try when I've got more time on my hands. No - I don't wear a watch.

I watched episodes 4-6 and finished the series last night.

Yeah, I liked the first few episodes anyway but this second half of the series really solidified that for me. I'd say it was even better in the last 3 episodes. I enjoyed the friendship between Marion and Mr Ferris, and Mandy who I expected to be 'the annoying little sister' turned out to be nice and it was fun to see her confidence/self esteem grow.

I felt like the humour got a lot better timed too, earlier in the series it felt like it hung in the air a bit, like there was a part missing. And felt Litten must have gotten more confident in balancing the humour and drama further in.

I'd like to see a second series, but not 100% sure we'll get it. I think it deserves it.

A slower paced, fairly gentle comedy. I really enjoyed it, and would be keen to see it back. Superbly photographed and an excellent cast. Nicely loped along I thought. More please.

A mixed bag as a sitcom. Thought Jason Manford was very good, but a couple of the characters were paper thin. Would watch another series just for the views of Scarborough.

In case anybody's bothered, this has been axed. Can't say I'm surprised, I didn't watch beyond two episodes.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5555/scarborough_no_series_2/

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 21st November 2019, 9:00 PM

In case anybody's bothered, this has been axed.

So, no second series? I'm not surprised.

The day is not far off when British TV comedy will be entertainment's equivalent of a vicarage tea party.

It won't be entirely devoid of humour but there will be nothing said or done of which the vicar's wife might disapprove. :(

Hardly, Rood.
Not so much a victim of the "PC Brigade" as the "This is a Bit Shit, isn't it Collective"

Quote: Lazzard @ 22nd November 2019, 9:57 AM

Not so much a victim of the "PC Brigade" as the "This is a Bit Shit, isn't it Collective"

The latter being an identity frequently assumed by the former when wishing to appear not quite so po-faced. Laughing out loud