What are you reading? Page 8

Continuing to read Celia Johnson's biog. by her daughter Kate (slow reader - nearly at end!) and an odd coincidence that wouldn't have register with her at the time of course, but she was starring in the theatre play of "Lloyd George Knew My Father", which is about Lord and Lady Boothroyd (Ralph Richardson) doing anything they can to stop a bypass being built through their estate.

She then goes on to say that at that time she made friends with this new 22 year old actor Simon Cadell, who helped her, now widowed, with lots of things (don't go there you naughty person), and of course Simon played 20 years later a major part in "Blott On The Landscape", which was basically the same story.

I wonder if Simon realised this plagiarism?

I'd forgotten all about Simon Cadell and his weird skewiff nose. He was a very good actor.

Chin?

You're right, it was his chin, not nose. Was it him tied to the bed naked in Blott, or was that George Cole?

Good point. Do you know, I've forgotten, but def one of those two.

Birthdays for the Dead - Stuart MacBride. You need a strong stomach for this, really. I find some of it hard to take.

I'm reading the British Comedy Guide forums.

They're chock-full of fascinating and hilarious postings by people of every type you can imagine - and a few types you probably can't imagine (unless you're Stephen King).

It's better than a laugh a minute - it's a laugh every few seconds! Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 23rd September 2019, 11:25 PM

He also had around 500 wives and concubines

That's more than me.
McCabe's official biography and Stan and Ollie.

I'm thinking of reading do androids dream of electric sheep

Any recommend it?

Pieces of Her - Karen Slaughter.. the American psyche is weird.

The Road to Rome - Ben Kane. Takes me back to my teenage years when I was obsessed with books about the Romans.

Lord Sugar's autobiography 'What you see is what you get'

Been plodding through it for 6 months... Impossible to read in one sitting because of all the bragging.

In general, if something went wrong in business, it was someone else's fault.
If it was a success, of course it was all his doing.
That theme prevails all through.

The things he tried in business manifest themselves in his Apprentice show.

I'm not mocking the man, he's worth about £800 million
He writes (or ghost writes) as he speaks - which is blunt.

There are a lot of people he does not like and you get the feeling that it is reciprocated.

Recently bought Rodney Bewes autobiography couldn't finish it as he comes across as arrogant and very bitter I should have read the reviews on amazon as they all seem to agreed

Also been reading the railway detective novels by Edward Marston very enjoyable and non taxing read

I have found that with a lot of autobiographies.
They can't hide their true personality.

I didn't care for Alex Ferguson but I changed my mind after reading his.
Obversely, Ian Botham came off as a right wanker.

What is it about male writers of historical fiction that they have to describe every bloody move in a battle? I really don't need to know Caesar's every manoeuvre in a battle. Boring. Waste of words. I'm reading 'Road to Rome' by Ben Kane.Apart from that, and the fact that so many of the main characters are unlikable, It's fine.