What are you watching on TV? Page 2,169

New Family Guy.

"Who left their gender fluid in the shower?"

I just saw an ad for Dove soap or cream or some such and there was this numpty soaping/ creaming up her shoulders and there's this silly grin on the eejit's face. Does anybody else here grin like a Cheshire cat while soaping their shoulders?

Quote: Briosaid @ 11th November 2019, 11:30 PM

Does anybody else here grin like a Cheshire cat while soaping their shoulders?

Edward Heath used to grin like a Cheshire cat while shrugging his shoulders.

I'm watching Guilt, a new drama serial on BBC2.

Set in Edinburgh, it's the story of two guys driving home from a party who accidentally hit a pedestrian and kill him.

That's not exactly a spoiler because it happens in the first couple of minutes.

They then set about ensuring that nobody links them to the man's death.

I see the BBC describes it as a comedy-drama and, in truth, I was wondering whether or not they'd apply that description to it.

I've watched two episodes and it contains nothing that would make the average viewer think it had been written with comedy in mind.

That's not a criticism: that's praise for the writing and the acting.

I don't think I've ever in my life before seen a comedy-drama that contained absolutely nothing that the writer had quite obviously put in there purely for the purpose of getting a laugh.

It's certainly not devoid of humour but it's subtle, well-written stuff and is entirely appropriate to the character and the situation. Nothing is said or done that's unlikely to be said or done by real people in a similar real-life situation.

It's a compelling drama, dark in parts but with a very light touch.

Neil Forsyth (for it is he who has written it) deserves a pat on the back.

The BBC comes in for a fair bit of slagging off these days but it has to be said that, for all their faults, they do come up with some cracking dramas.

I'm currently watching Episode 1 of Gold Digger on BBC1.

It's about Benjamin, a young attractive copywriter who forms a romantic relationship with Julia who has just turned 60.

However, please don't be misled: as 60-year-old women go, she's by no means unattractive.

Are his intentions honourable or is he a gold digger?

Time will no doubt tell but, before it does, I think viewers are in for some first-class dramatic entertainment.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th November 2019, 1:56 PM

I say "pensioner" but please don't be misled: she's 60 years old and, as 60-year-old women go, she's by no means unattractive.

Wikipedia says the actress is only 54, so I expect an uproar from actual sexagenerian actresses upset because they weren't given the part.

A good point, DaButt!

I'm not sure what the PC Brigade will make of this but I'm pretty sure they'll say it's some kind of "appropriation" that was perfectly acceptable until quite recently when the PC Brigade became all-powerful rulers of the United Kingdom after centuries of having to live out their lives on the fringes of society as moaning Minnies.

In the pic above, the age gap doesn't immediately strike me as inappropriate.

Mind you, that's probably because the age gap between the actors is only some 16 years rather than the supposed 30 years between their characters in the series.

Ben's age has not yet been revealed but other characters in the series are guessing it's about 30. The actor is actually 38.

Therefore the actress is about six years younger than her character while the actor is about eight years older than other characters in the drama are assuming it is.

If there is an outcry because an older actress is being done out of the role by a younger one, there will certainly be an outcry for the opposite reason in the case of the actor.

It's an outrage! Laughing out loud

PS. I think the BBC has missed a valuable trick here. The age of 60 is a huge landmark in a woman's life and I believe a great many lady pensioners in Britain would have been reassured that all is not lost when a woman reaches that age if the BBC had chosen to show a genuine lady pensioner being fancied by a much younger man.

Unfortunately, it looks very much as if the BBC thought that no 60-year-old actress would be credibly fanciable by a much younger man. :(

Caught a few minutes of Tipping Point (?) I think it was and the question was who recorded "School's Out", he said 'Nobby Holland'................way, way wrong of course, BUT to complete his stupidity, who do you think he meant?

Did Nobby Stiles and Jules Holland ever have a love child?
I don't read the Mail.

Quote: john tregorran @ 10th November 2019, 7:33 PM

I try to avoid The Mail.

Quote: john tregorran @ 10th November 2019, 9:48 PM

Not even in the Mail ?

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th November 2019, 12:16 AM

I don't read the Mail.

Really? I had no idea. You should have mentioned it before! :)

Not a lot of TV but a mate of mine visited after his father's death. Hadn't seen him in six weeks. Normally, it's three, To cheer him up. I had promised him Detectorists which oddly he hasn't seen and then I found I didn't have it so now it is on order. I gave him the choice of the dozen or so DVDs I have in my living room (I've got a hundred more in my main DVD library in my bedroom) and he opted for an episode of Don't Drink The Water and an episode of the Muppet Show.

I have just done an audit of my DVD stuff actually. Much of it is second hand so I have bought it all on the cheap:

A - British Sitcom

01 Only Fools and Horses
02 Hancock's Half Hour
03 Fawlty Towers
04 Dad's Army
05 Father Ted
06 George and Mildred
07 Detectorists (on order)
08 Desmond's
09 Black Adder
10 Watching
11 The Royle Family
12 One Foot In The Grave
13 Count Arthur Strong
14 Last of the Summer Wine
15 Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
16 Hi-De-Hi
17 Rising Damp
18 The Vicar of Dibley
19 The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
20 A Fine Romance
21 I'm Alan Partridge
22 Yes Minister
23 Home To Roost
24 Bread
25 A Sharp Intake of Breath
26 On The Buses
27 Man About The House
28 Citizen Smith
29 The Thin Blue Line
30 The Top Secret Life of Edgar Briggs
31 The Green Green Grass
32 And Mother Makes Three
33 Dinner Ladies
34 Twenty Twelve
35 'Allo 'Allo
36 Steptoe and Son
37 Are You Being Served?
38 Two's Company
39 Red Dwarf
40 The Dustbinmen
41 The Fosters
42 Butterflies
43 Bless This House
44 The Liver Birds
45 The Likely Lads/Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
46 Terry and June
47 Brush Strokes
48 The Good Life
49 Chef
50 Absolutely Fabulous
51 Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt
52 Don't Drink The Water
53 Father Dear Father
54 Citizen Khan
55 You Rang M'Lord
56 Oh Doctor Beeching
57 Just Good Friends
58 George and the Dragon
59 Get Some In
60 Rab C Nesbitt
61 Keeping Up Appearances
62 Ever Decreasing Circles
63 Sorry!
64 Fresh Fields

B - British Various

01 Morecambe and Wise
02 Les Dawson
03 Marty Feldman
04 Abigails Party (film)
05 The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer
06 Being There (film)
07 The Two Ronnies
08 Trigger Happy TV (on order)

(Plus The Snowman/Father Christmas and Touching The Void (film) : also several football and opera DVDs)

C - American Sitcom

01 Bilko : The Phil Silvers Show
02 Cheers
03 The Big Bang Theory
04 Get Smart
05 Mister Ed
06 Alf
07 Taxi
08 Police Squad
09 Mork and Mindy
10 The Golden Girls
11 Frasier
12 Happy Days
13 The Simpsons
14 The Flintstones
15 Becker
16 The Dick Van Dyke Show
17 Malcolm in the Middle
18 The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
19 Bewitched
20 The Munsters
21 I Dream of Jeannie
22 The Addams Family
23 Dharma and Greg
24 Roseanne
25 Soap
26 Married With Children

D - American Various

01 The Muppet Show
02 The Banana Splits
03 Top Cat
04 The Furchester Hotel

(Plus Buena Vista Social Club (film))

'The Elephant Man'. It's so cool they found someone resembling him - AND such a fine actor to boot. What are the chances?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th November 2019, 1:56 PM

The BBC comes in for a fair bit of slagging off these days but it has to be said that, for all their faults, they do come up with some cracking dramas.

I'm currently watching Episode 1 of Gold Digger on BBC1.

It's about Benjamin, a young attractive copywriter who forms a romantic relationship with Julia, a pensioner.

I say "pensioner" but please don't be misled: she's 60 years old and, as 60-year-old women go, she's by no means unattractive.

Are his intentions honourable or is he a gold digger?

Time will no doubt tell but, before it does, I think viewers are in for some first-class dramatic entertainment.

She's not a pensioner. She's just turned 60 and got her Senior Railcard. Get your facts right!

Quote: Chappers @ 14th November 2019, 8:46 PM

She's not a pensioner. She's just turned 60 and got her Senior Railcard. Get your facts right!

If I start getting my facts right, everyone might think my account's been hacked!

Notwithstanding that, however, in the interests of accuracy, I have amended my original posting.

PS. This really is me - my account hasn't been hacked. Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ 14th November 2019, 8:46 PM

It depends on the source of the pension of course. I was in receipt of a pension - and proud, therefore, to call myself a pensioner - three years prior to qualifying for my state pension.