Only Connect Page 53

Quote: Chappers @ 24th September 2019, 11:06 PM

Well I'm quite familiar with Sgt Pepper but I've never heard of Huntz Hall.

Well one out of two is not bad ;), perhaps you're not quite old enough to remember Saturday Morning Pictures. Whistling nnocently

You see the whole gang including Huntz Hall and Leo Gorcey at the beginning of this film. This is their earlier incarnation when they were called The East Side Kids - then they changed to name to The Bowery Boys for some reason................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mlwr48FKdc

.............very dated but we kids in the late 50s lapped them up at the local Ritz or Odeon.

EDIT : I see a 21 year old Ava Gardner was in it.

Most recent episode, Eggtimers vs 007s seems to indicate Connecting Walls getting easier. VCM addressed criticism of her fatuous bantz by offering some fatuous bantz. Still mentioning the question editors' names. Should just give them a desk and chairs, so they can adjudicate with witty bantz like Richard Osbourne in Pointless, so they can feel more important.

Utterly appalling bantz to close the most recent episode. "Joke" about 60 yr old camera operator having a 23 yr old Belarus bride. Could save time just by saying: "The people who script my witty bantz are a pair of f**kwits."
Easy walls again, too.

Quote: Kenneth @ 13th November 2019, 9:34 AM

Utterly appalling bantz to close the most recent episode. "Joke" about 60 yr old camera operator having a 23 yr old Belarus bride. Could save time just by saying: "The people who script my witty bantz are a pair of f**kwits."
Easy walls again, too.

Yes, I thought it was toe-curling...................and I don't submit walls - that is now an exclusive it seems to The Clique.

I record every episode and, when I watch it, I fast forward to the first "connections" question and watch until the last "sequence" question - at which point I stop and delete the recording.

All else is bollocks.

I'm puzzled how a bloke with earbuds in, jumping in the air with his jacket undone, can represent the word "shine".

Quote: Nogget @ 13th November 2019, 4:30 PM

I'm puzzled how a bloke with earbuds in, jumping in the air with his jacket undone, can represent the word "shine".

The picture was a still from the 1996 film of that name.

According to Victoria, there are viewers of Only Connect who write in to complain whenever a contestant, in asking for a further clue, says "Next" rather than "Next, please".

What must it be like to have to operate under the scrutiny of people so easily offended?

I can't imagine.

I really cannot imagine. Laughing out loud

When will they get that no one gives a f**k about the question-writers' names being shoved into the bantz? Perhaps they could make a spin-off show called Witty Banter, where Victoria and the question editors give 20 minutes of hilarious bantz, as this would free up time for Only Connect to extend the Missing Owls round.

Watching Only Connect is akin to doing an online cryptic crossword where every clue is interrupted by an annoying pop-up.

For most viewers, I think the joys of the connections and sequences round are a combination of getting answers right and kicking themselves for not having foreseen an answer when it is revealed.

I was surprised therefore when, in last night's episode, a sequences question was based upon knowledge of how resistors on a circuit board are colour-coded.

I wondered firstly how many people in the world are familiar with such colour coding and secondly how many of those who are unfamiliar with it are even remotely interested in it? I suspect the answer in both cases is a minuscule fraction.

What next? A question based on the door numbers of the last four properties one of the producers has lived in? Laughing out loud

PS. On the plus side, however, I did get two of the connections and one of the sequence questions right!

Actually, it's basic electronics taught at 'A' level in schools and colleges.
Ohm's law calculations with series and parallel resistors where the resistors have colour coding to denote their value
Just because you are thick doesn't mean the rest of the populace are.

You may have a point but nobody on either team had any idea what the question was about.

They must be every bit as thick as I am.

That makes me feel a little bit better. Laughing out loud

I'm watching the latest episode and the music question was possibly the most ridiculous and pointless question I've ever seen on the show.

The connection between the four religious-sounding songs was that they were all played at the wedding of Harry and Meghan Markle.

I mean, FFS! Laughing out loud

Quote: Kenneth @ 20th November 2019, 12:40 AM

When will they get that no one gives a f**k about the question-writers' names being shoved into the bantz? Perhaps they could make a spin-off show called Witty Banter, where Victoria and the question editors give 20 minutes of hilarious bantz, as this would free up time for Only Connect to extend the Missing Owls round.
Watching Only Connect is akin to doing an online cryptic crossword where every clue is interrupted by an annoying pop-up.

Yes it's got too cringey for me to watch anymore. Victoria's long indulgent platitudes are a turn off, I wish they'd stop. She was much better as the nerdy but terse host in the earlier BBC4 shows. As the series got more successful it seems it went to their heads and the prods and Victoria herself wanted more of the limelight.

Now it has developed a sort of exclusive clubby condescendence likely to alienate a lot of normal quiz addicts in overdoing the nerd appeal. They could easily get another 5mins of quizzing in but I wouldn't extend the missing owls round it's already too heavily weighted with points.

I see that Herc will have written for this show for six years come November...