BritBox

Quite a bit of discussion early this morning on BBC Radio London about the comedy content on newly launched BritBox. Apparently they are not going to have things like Love Thy Neighbour and It Ain't Half Hot Mum on it. Quelle surprise.

https://www.techradar.com/news/britbox-the-one-stop-streaming-service-for-classic-british-tv

They'll be on ShitBox.
Launches if we leave the EU.

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th November 2019, 3:26 PM

They'll be on ShitBox.

That's funny . Laughing out loud

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th November 2019, 3:26 PM

They'll be on ShitBox.

But this being the vegan city etc what you had (even on a station which generally has mainly old boy callers (aged 85 plus) who still have the energy to iron their union jack underpants) was a modest stream of people questioning the political correctness of sacred cows like Fawlty Towers. Consequently, I think it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Luckily I have stacks of cheapo second hand DVDs so I have no need to bother with it. I've never done Netflix or anything like that because I just don't see the point in stumping up money for something which cuts in and out every 20 seconds (which is in my experience generally the case with BBC Sounds, the Channel 4 player etc). Anyhow, I hate 98% of films.

What a joke

If I can't get access to dozens of sitcoms that poke fun at black people and homosexuals - I ain't interested

F**k that off

Quote: lofthouse @ 8th November 2019, 5:56 PM

What a joke

If I can't get access to dozens of sitcoms that poke fun at black people and homosexuals - I ain't interested

F**k that off

:D

I wonder if it will do The Real McCoy?

Found out today when trying to buy it on DVD that there is no DVD because it was decided there wasn't a big enough audience for one.

Which is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm not really excited about this. Another way to rip us off. I can understand ITV but the BBC is supposed to be free as we've paid our licence fees.

According to reports, Britbox will not be screening Till Death Us Do Part or It Ain't Half Hot Mum because both programs are likely to give offence to viewers desperate to be offended.

There will also be warnings on screen at the start of several other programs for exactly the same reason.

I strongly suspect that even the TV test card from years gone by would be banned by 21st-century snowflakes on the grounds that the permanently-on-screen image of the young girl holding her doll might appeal to viewers with inappropriate sexual preferences.

In any rational universe, you couldn't make it up.

However, in 21st-century Britain you don't have to make it up - because it's absolutely real! Laughing out loud

The test card was creepy as. It should be banned.

Quote: Chappers @ 11th November 2019, 9:29 PM

....the BBC is supposed to be free as we've paid our licence fees.

I can see why you would say that, but the BBC needs an escape root, especially with the dominance of Netflix and a government that attacks the licence fee all the time. They launched this in America 2 years ago.

I've supported the BBC for years but I think that now they've outlived their usefulness.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th November 2019, 7:49 PM

I've supported the BBC for years but I think that now they've outlived their usefulness.

I've supported the BBC financially for years but nowadays I watch on average only about one BBC programme per day.

Almost any streaming service is very much better value and the programs are, for the most part, miles ahead of almost everything the BBC produces these days.

Mind you, what can you expect?

If a scriptwriter were offered a salary of £3.7 billion per year to produce a certain number of scripts - regardless of quality - how long do you think it would be before he/she ceased to give a damn how good or bad those scripts were ?

I suggest the answer is "not very long". Laughing out loud

Has anyone signed up for Britbox?

Yes, I had it for a while early last year and am currently using it again at the moment. Got a question about it?