Frankie Boyle Page 27

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 9th November 2019, 1:46 PM

Except he is quite selective with who he goes after with regarding the powerful and the elite. He'll have a pop at Farage, Johnson and Mogg but he won't have ago at the left-side of millionaires such as Swinson, Corbin or Sturgeon.

Am I saying he should play it fair? No - his comedy style, his choice. But I can say he is a vitue signalling shit for brains these days.

Hating on centre/right-wing MPs/commentators is all the rage for little lefties. When the majority of left spew their bile of hatred on a daily basis.

If Boyle took the piss out of both sides, he would get far more respect that his new position of comedy has taken him.

Such nonsense. He's always attacking Corbyn. And the Lib Dems. Have you ever seen the programme before?
I'm glad you were so careful to avoid any 'hatred' or 'bile' in your own post anyway. AHEM!
Thought I was reading The Daily Mail for a moment there...

Some 10 years ago, Frankie was told by the powers that be at the Beeb that for the purposes of satirical comedy, Israel was totally, completely, absolutely and utterly out of bounds.

As far as I can determine, in the entire history of the BBC, Israel is the only country in the world around which they have built a comedy-proof fortress.

Indeed, on the first episode of New World Order, he made jokes about Gaza - but, without consultation with Frankie, these jokes were cut from the broadcast.

On that basis, I think we must assume that Frankie's recent less hard-hitting comedy style is, at least in part, due to the attitudes and actions of the BBC.

That having been said, his new softness is not simply a matter of the things he doesn't say: it's also about the things he does say - his virtue-signalling.

It's also about the fact that Frankie tolerates even for one moment the restrictions that the BBC have placed upon him.

All in all, it's not difficult to see why he stands accused of having sold his soul and his comedic integrity in order that the BBC might continue to employ him.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 9th November 2019, 8:23 PM

Such nonsense. He's always attacking Corbyn. And the Lib Dems. Have you ever seen the programme before?
I'm glad you were so careful to avoid any 'hatred' or 'bile' in your own post anyway. AHEM!
Thought I was reading The Daily Mail for a moment there...

Oh...The Daily Mail one liner most luvvies accuse us nasty right leaning people of reading. If you think what I wrote was full of hatred and bile, then man alive - you were spoon fed as a child, no?

Could you show me some various links and articles to Boyle's attacks on Corbyn and the Dems? And I mean, proper attacks, not gentle satrical nonsense about their appearance or whatever.

Come on, Chris. You can do better than that.

I was spoon fed as a child! Isn't everyone?

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 10th November 2019, 6:32 PM

I was spoon fed as a child! Isn't everyone?

Yours may well have been a silver spoon.

Mine may well have been a baby-led weaning kinda thing ;)

Don't tell me - I'm a boomer, right?

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 10th November 2019, 7:35 PM

Yours may well have been a silver spoon.

Mine may well have been a baby-led weaning kinda thing ;)

Don't tell me - I'm a boomer, right?

You're very touchy about being a "boomer". I've no idea how old you are and hadn't mentioned anything about your age. You do seem to be very angry and right wing but some people are just like that. It's not an age thing.
Frankie Boyle made fairly savage comments about Corbyn, anti-semitism and Vince Cable being almost dead.
We are not actually supposed to be discussing how much you hate 'lefties' but Frankie Boyle's New World Order. I'm not convinced you've ever seen it.

An article in today's Guardian laments Frankie's departure, 10 years ago, from Mock the Week, saying that in recent years the show has had all the bite of a gummy turtle-hatchling.

To me, the outstanding memory of Frankie's time on the show is his outrageous joke about a certain Olympic swimmer and another joke about a certain portion of the Queen's anatomy being haunted.

You certainly don't get jokes like that any more on Mock the Week.

The show has certainly lost much of its impact since the departure of Frankie (and others): as if that were not bad enough, the remaining panellists' witty quips are, like those of panellists on almost every other TV show, obviously pre-scripted.

Even if they weren't so obviously non-spontaneous, we have the word of no less an authority than Ross Noble that they are indeed written beforehand - and often not by the panellists who deliver them.

Were Frankie's jokes written by somebody else?

I doubt it very much indeed. I doubt the BBC employs a writer with anything resembling the talent to emulate Frankie's eviscerating satire and his stunningly original turn of phrase.

Mock the Week is nowadays a pale shadow of its former self: a mixture of ageing comics only too willing to toe the BBC's line on political correctness and younger comics who have learned very well how to be politically correct but have yet to learn how to be funny.

I don't think Frankie was sacked from the show: I think he bailed because he wasn't prepared to be silenced by an increasingly dull and increasingly humourless BBC.

That's the man we want back on our screens.

Come back, Frankie Boyle: your country (together with the rest of Britain) needs you! Laughing out loud

Again. Sounds like a good argument until you watch an episode and realise its bollocks.
Ageing comics? Honestly. What are you talking about ? Mock the Week's no tamer than its ever been.
They do have women on it now though which I know some of you don't like.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 11th November 2019, 7:58 PM

Again. Sounds like a good argument until you watch an episode and realise its bollocks.

"Bollocks" is all I write, Chris.

You should know that by now. Laughing out loud

At the risk of writing even more bollocks, I think the only thing we're likely to agree upon when it comes to Frankie Boyle is that he's an astonishingly talented comedian.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 10th November 2019, 8:02 PM

You're very touchy about being a "boomer". I've no idea how old you are and hadn't mentioned anything about your age. You do seem to be very angry and right wing but some people are just like that. It's not an age thing.
Frankie Boyle made fairly savage comments about Corbyn, anti-semitism and Vince Cable being almost dead.
We are not actually supposed to be discussing how much you hate 'lefties' but Frankie Boyle's New World Order. I'm not convinced you've ever seen it.

By the term 'leftie' to many, means somebody in the 'woke' culture. There are many left-wing civil, level headed people out there. Me? I'm a political swinger. Do not align myself with one. All I know is, I am not an extremeist.

Anyway, yes, I do get a bit angry and right wing about some topics. You say 'right-wing' like it's some sort of creepy cult (could be).

You seem obsessed and reliant on me never watching FB's New World Order. As you were - if it makes you feel better.

I mentioned it once or twice. I don't think that makes me obsessed!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 10th November 2019, 1:06 PM

his new softness is not simply a matter of the things he doesn't say: it's also about the things he does say - his virtue-signalling.

I've just watched "Frankie Boyle live: excited for you to see and hate this".

"I've got nothing but love for trans people", he says completely without irony and without an attached punchline. It was pure virtue signalling.

He was slagging off Ricky Gervais for making jokes about trans women, declaring that Ricky may be a good actor and a good writer but he certainly isn't a stand-up comedian.

Do you see what he did there (apart from again virtue signalling)?

Ricky made jokes about trans women and so to punish him for that unforgivable transgression against political correctness, Frankie asserted that Ricky isn't a stand-up comedian - thus attempting to expel him from the stand-up community and, in modern parlance, to "cancel" him.

Frankie Boyle - embracing the cancel culture?

I would never have believed it possible.