The Cockfields

New 3-part Sitcom starting on Gold tomorrow, and continuing to Thursday. Stars Joe Wilkinson, Diane Morgan, Bobby Ball, Sue Johnston, Nigel Havers, and Sarah Parish.

I hadn't even heard of it until this evening when I saw the trailer. Seems to be getting good press though! Radio Times and the Guardian at least. I'm looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.

Apologies if there's a thread already - there's an section for it on the TV pages here but couldn't find a thread.

It's pretty good, but I couldn't help but feel something written by Wilkinson and Morgan would be more interesting.

I didn't like this at all. It just sort of.... unfolded. I didn't laugh once, and the plot, such as it was, wasn't nearly interesting enough to keep me on board. The scene with the cricket pitch for example. Some comic potential there, nothing happened.

I've watched the first one, not my cup of tea to be honest. I'll plug on on through but I'm not expecting much more.

Watched all 3 now. Enjoyed it though not sure we'll see more? Don't even know if they'd plan for it - seems like a 1 miniseries and done?

Very much a slow burner but did have its amusing moments.

Certain people, like Joe Wilkinson and Diane Morgan, have such a strange and captivating screen presence that action and dialogue seem somehow like bonuses! Laughing out loud

He's still so embedded in my mind as Dan from Him & Her, and she's so in my mind as Philomena Cunk, despite other roles, it was so strange at first to watch them as the 'straight' characters among other eccentric/weird characters! :D But yes they still had a great presence even as the 'normies' of the show.

And felt Bobby Ball was perfectly case as the domineering Stepdad, even if he is very similar to Frank from NGO, heh.

I've just watched Episode 1 and it's absolutely superb!

As British sitcoms go (and some of them go very well indeed), this is one of the best ever.

It's leagues ahead of every British sitcom broadcast in recent times.

In fact, you'd have to go back a long way to find something better than this.

Top-notch! Laughing out loud

I've just watched Episodes 2 and 3 and I have to say this series is nothing short of magnificent.

To me, it's much more of a comedy-drama than a sitcom: in a sitcom, characters tend to be somewhat larger-than-life whereas in The Cockfields they appear wonderfully if a little frighteningly real.

Anyone unfamiliar with Joe Wilkinson beyond his appearances on 8 out of 10 Cats might be forgiven for thinking him no more than a bit of a weirdo.

However, in co-writing The Cockfields, he's revealed himself as one of the most talented comedy writers of the modern age.

The BAFTAs await!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5819/the-cockfields-series-2/

A bit late, but still welcome news. I hope it's a good omen for Joe Wilkinson In Cars With Other People's Mums too.

Been through Series 2 now. I was on the fence about the first series and the second one still kind of leaves me of mixed mind. There are two major cast changes, one works, the other not so much. Gregor Fisher actually brings a lot more to the the role than Bobby Ball did but Diane Morgan's replacement Susannah Fielding doesn't fare so well. It all seems too much screen time about so little plot but the Christmas special finishes it off nicely in that modern dramedy sort of way. I hope they have sense to leave it where it lays. It is that sort of middle aged crisis kind of programming that After Life has seemed to inspired but without the Gervais mandated vulgarities. Granted it's not surprising since Diane and Joe are in AL to see a milder exurban version so soon, but maybe too soon? As a side note, Greg McHugh's character is wasted, there was a potential for much better back story that they teased but completely failed to deliver on, seemed like editing was to blame.

Gone back to the start of series 1 as it's on BBC now.

Seems strange to see Joe Wilkinson as the most normal person in the show.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th March 2023, 8:54 PM

Gone back to the start of series 1 as it's on BBC now.

Seems strange to see Joe Wilkinson as the most normal person in the show.

Yes, I'm giving it half a chance, even though I'm not a big fan of Joe or Diane Morgan, for that matter. I'm intrigued to see how Gregor Fisher fits into Bobby Ball's shoes after the 3rd episode.

There is a BCG member (or previous member) Ben in the cast
And he's a thoroughly nice chap and funny as well , so I'm pleased he's doing well

Don't tell him I haven't watched the show though

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 29th March 2023, 1:32 AM

There is a BCG member (or previous member) Ben in the cast
And he's a thoroughly nice chap and funny as well , so I'm pleased he's doing well

Don't tell him I haven't watched the show though

I didn't knw that. I'll have to look out for him.

Not THE Ben? I thought he was a short arse.