Frankie Boyle Page 26

Virtue signalling has become one of the most meaningless insults ever. Anybody who uses that term must by definition believe that anybody who wears a poppy is a virtue signaller.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 5th November 2019, 11:52 PM

I'll tell you one person who's been on his show.

Owen f**king Jones.

That says all you need to know about who Frankie Boyle mixes with now.

And it's still okay to dislike PC virtue signallers. It's still doesn't mean you are a bigot. But of course some people are so very black and white with anything these days, they decide for you that you're just some "boomer" who's left behind in this progressive leftist society.

Hmmm. This "progressive liberal society". Which voted narrowly for Brexit, has had a Conservative government for nearly a decade and which has an overwhelmingly Tory press? That one?

I can't find any evidence that Owen Jones has been on Frankie Boyle's New World Order. Not saying he definitely hasn't been. He has interviewed him elsewhere though. FB's always been on the Left. This is nothing new. He hates Corbyn though.

You are, of course, free to dislike "PC virtue signallers" (whatever the hell that means). It's just amazing that despite relentless posts complaining about it, no one actually seems to be able to find or even remember ANY EXAMPLES WHATSOEVER of this ever happening on Frankie Boyle's New World Order.

BBC defends Frankie Boyle as comedian comes under fire for IRA joke
Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/04/bbc-defends-frankie-boyle-call-ban-ira-joke-9110598/?ito=cbshare

The famously 'politically correct' comic in action, this year.

Dislike virtue signallers if you want, but how else are we going to get some rich and famous people to give to charity unless they at least get a pin ? Do you think Bill Gates would be sticking needles in African children and ignoring medical experts, if he didn't think it would make him epic ? Otherwise he could turn into Dr Evil, and do things like sabotaging his own software, make Word 7 spell checkers stop working so we have to pay for the new version that little bustart of an ingrained twoty wonker.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 6th November 2019, 7:02 AM

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/04/bbc-defends-frankie-boyle-call-ban-ira-joke-9110598/?ito=cbshare

Frankie's joke was offensive to a number of people but it wasn't politically incorrect.

The targets of the joke were not socially disadvantaged or discriminated against in our society.

Government ministers, MPs and politicians in general have always been acceptable targets for comedy and have been used as such since time immemorial by even the sweetest and nicest of comedians.

In choosing the targets he did, Frankie was on very safe ground from a PC standpoint.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 6th November 2019, 7:02 AM

Frankie mentioned Theresa May's meeting at Chequers with a dozen or so top Tories and asked "Where's the IRA when you need them?" and thereby caused significant consternation among a number of viewers who found it distasteful.

BCG's comedy aficionados might like to compare that joke with a substantially similar joke that countless comedians must have come up with over the years in which the comedians mention the opening of Parliament where 650 MPs would be gathered and then ask "Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him?"

I'm fairly confident that joke would have caused no significant negative reaction if it had been made on morning TV. I am very confident it would have caused no significant negative reaction had it been made on New World Order.

So, subjecting 650 men and women to a violent, bloody and altogether ghastly death at the hands of Guy Fawkes and his associates is okay as a comedic image but the idea of subjecting only a dozen or so very similar people to the same imaginary death at the hands of the IRA is an outrage?

That's why comedy is not only funny (ha ha): it's also very funny (peculiar).

Has anyone ever made such a joke on morning TV then? Or is this more rubbish?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 6th November 2019, 12:19 PM

Frankie's joke was offensive to a number of people but it wasn't politically incorrect.

The targets of the joke were not socially disadvantaged or discriminated against in our society.

Government ministers, MPs and politicians in general have always been acceptable targets for comedy and have been used as such since time immemorial by even the sweetest and nicest of comedians.

Good. I want somebody of Boyle's calibre punching up, not down. I want him going after the powerful and the elite, not the weak and downtrodden. I want him kicking the establishment, not underdog. And you might think the golden age of free speech and comedy involved Curry and Chips and It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Bernard Manning, but I can happily live without that dreck.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 7th November 2019, 6:14 AM

Has anyone ever made such a joke on morning TV then?

Good question.

I've just dug out my old VHS video recorder and I'm about to rewatch the last 35 years of morning TV in order to answer it.

I may be some time.

I think you lost all credibility on this the moment you revealed you couldn't think of a single example of the thing your supposedly complaining about ever actually happening.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 7th November 2019, 9:29 PM

I think you lost all credibility on this the moment you revealed you couldn't think of a single example of the thing your supposedly complaining about ever actually happening.

That's kind of you, Chris.

I thought I'd lost it a long time before that. Laughing out loud

Some people don't let facts get in the way.

I'm not familiar with Frankie's recent work on TV but never get bored of his stand up or old appearances on panel shows. He's got in to hot water quite a few times in particular with his comments about Katie Price's son, Harvey. Maybe as he's getting older he's just naturally toning it down.

"You've got to be careful with jokes, haven't you? Cos not everybody's got a sense of humour."

Frankie said that during a recent performance and, as simple an observation as it might appear, it's a profound truth.

The problem for comedians and comedy writers is that, although not everybody has a sense of humour, absolutely everybody thinks they have a sense of humour.

In this modern day and age, if a man identifies as a woman (or vice versa), only the most tactless of individuals would suggest that he/she is deluded.

However, as #woke as we all may be as 2019 becomes 2020, I think it's still permissible for me to suggest that some people who believe themselves to be possessors of a sense of humour are, in fact, delusional.

As Frankie suggests in his quote above, life can sometimes be hard for funny people forced to live in a world teeming with so many seriously miserable bastards.

I feel your pain, Frankie! Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ 7th November 2019, 6:43 AM

Good. I want somebody of Boyle's calibre punching up, not down. I want him going after the powerful and the elite, not the weak and downtrodden. I want him kicking the establishment, not underdog. And you might think the golden age of free speech and comedy involved Curry and Chips and It Ain't Half Hot Mum and Bernard Manning, but I can happily live without that dreck.

Except he is quite selective with who he goes after with regarding the powerful and the elite. He'll have a pop at Farage, Johnson and Mogg but he won't have ago at the left-side of millionaires such as Swinson, Corbin or Sturgeon.

Am I saying he should play it fair? No - his comedy style, his choice. But I can say he is a vitue signalling shit for brains these days.

Hating on centre/right-wing MPs/commentators is all the rage for little lefties. When the majority of left spew their bile of hatred on a daily basis.

If Boyle took the piss out of both sides, he would get far more respect that his new position of comedy has taken him.

Quote: chipolata @ 6th November 2019, 6:37 AM

Virtue signalling has become one of the most meaningless insults ever. Anybody who uses that term must by definition believe that anybody who wears a poppy is a virtue signaller.

Virtue-signalling is substantially about making a public show of one's piety.

There's nothing pious about wearing a poppy.

The essential purpose of buying and wearing a poppy is to commemorate the millions who have died in warfare and to support those who, while still alive, are in need of support and, of course, those who may as a result of military conflict, one day join those glorious millions.

While a few people might wear poppies simply because it's "expected", I suspect that the overwhelming majority of poppy-wearers are wearing them out of a genuine sense of respect for and gratitude to those who died and who may yet die in military conflict.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 9th November 2019, 1:46 PM

he is a virtue-signalling shit for brains these days.

There's nothing meaningless about that sentiment.

I have no difficulty in understanding exactly what Tommy means. Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ 6th November 2019, 6:37 AM

It is as meaningless as the buzz words lefties in all areas of entertainment uses against the centre/centre right/far-right, to try and smear and end their careers with.