Life With The Lyons

I shouldn't think many on here know of the Lyons family, but they were huge stars in the late 50s/early 60s on radio and TV, a real American family who endeared themselves to the British public when they made their home in the UK at the start of WWII when so many actors etc. were going the other way to a safe life in Hollywood.

Ben Lyon and his wife Bebe Daniels were both silent movie stars, and had two children Barbara and Richard (adopted) and they made for the real family that people tuned into each week to hear their funny escapades.

The only other well-known figure in the Life With The Lyons progs. was Scot lassie Molly Weir as their housemaid Aggie, who would go on to be quite famous to a new generation of viewers in the 1970s after starring in a long-running series of commercials for Flash household cleaning products. Her catchphrase became "Flash cleans baths without scratching" or "Flash and no messing".

But I digress, my main reason for posting is that I have now watched both the films Life With The Lyons and The Lyons In Paris that appear to be the only things available on DVD. So...................
................the humour, I'm sorry to say as I used to enjoy this on the radio when I was a sprog, hasn't travelled well and I found it childish and humourless.

See Amazon product listing

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2019, 11:11 AM

I shouldn't think many on here know of the Lyons family

When you're right you're right!

'As cos oi be an old bor, and you be a young'un yersee.

I'm one of the few.(as usual)

Just you and me JT, just you an me; but I bet Chappers remembers them. :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2019, 11:11 AM

I shouldn't think many on here know of the Lyons family

Come off it, Sir. Me and Benny are both big Beatles fans, so we know that John and Yoko's second album (anyone who can listen through the first minute without destroying the record is deaf) was named Life with the Lions. Cos John Lennon fancied a bit of wordplay that riffed on pop culture.

For those who haven't heard Life with the Lions, you're in for a real treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5YXmiZDOSc

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2019, 11:16 PM

I was sitting down contemplating the world one day and noticed this written on the wall by some anonymous Gent.And thought it about sums it up.

At age 4 success is not peeing in your pants.
At age 6 success is finding your way back home.
At age 12 success is having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 20 success is having sex.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is having money.
At age 60 success is having sex.
At age 65 success is having a drivers license.
At age 70 success is finding your way back home.
At age 75 success is having friends.
At age 80 success is not peeing in your pants.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th November 2019, 11:16 PM

Seriously before my time but my Dad told me about them.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th November 2019, 8:06 PM

Seriously before my time but my Dad told me about them.

Bollocks ;)