Not Going Out - Series 10 Page 9

Lee Mack has a rare and astonishing talent: he can be funny in a sitcom while spouting what is, by all conventional standards, extremely weak material.

He is the Philosopher's Stone of comedy because, in the whole wide world, he is the only comedy actor who can turn s*** into gold.

There is absolutely no other explanation for the ongoing success of Not Going Out

Quote: Feeoree @ 28th May 2019, 4:26 PM

I didn't realise we were getting 2 Christmas specials this year. One is called 'Driving Home For Christmas' according to Wikipedia and the citation/reference points to Avalon's website confirming 2x45 minute specials - http://distribution.avalontelevision.com/not-going-out/

So the random extra special I found listed wasn't a glitch/mistake, but damned if anyone knew this was going to be on. Well, some did, but it wasn't very well advertised!

I didn't mind it to be honest, got a bit funnier when Frank reached the woman's house. And her calling him a count amused me, even if it was obvious that at some point in the episode someone would call Frank that!

Dialogue felt a bit off this time? Not as much effort? Or should I say less full of gags/one-liners. Then again it was a non-audience show and maybe intentional?

Quote: beaky @ 31st October 2019, 11:38 PM

I find this endless series of gags and set-up lines infuriating. Mack's great in Would I Lie to You, but this sitcom's dreadful.

Gags in a comedy programme? Now that's a revolutionary idea. I bet the writers of such as Hold the Sunset, Mum, Fleabag and The Rebel wish they had thought of that.

Just awful, unfortunately.

So how do we get a series 11: thread https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/lee-mack-details-not-going-out-safety-rules-as-filming-takes-place-amid-pandemic/

Also anyone see the Christmas special?

Quote: Wideawakeasleep @ 20th August 2020, 1:19 PM

So how do we get a series 11: thread https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/lee-mack-details-not-going-out-safety-rules-as-filming-takes-place-amid-pandemic/

When he says there are kissing scenes where there was a plastic screen, does he mean there's a screen between him and Sally Bretton, and they kiss opposite sides of the screen? Or is the plastic screen between them and the crew?

There's a screen between him and the other actor which is then removed in post production. Its going to be used in a lot of the soap operas as well.

Have never been a fan of this flat pack sitcom but I watched an episode form this series the other week and I have to give it some credit for making an effort with the narrative and getting that old style sitcom feel to it, which so few current sitcoms even attempt. I only saw this one ep, so I don't know if the whole series has come the same way towards trad sitcom plotting, or it was a one off. I also found Mack less painful than I used to, so maybe I'll become a fan of it, by series 20 or whatever.

I still like it. Has still been a few solid funny episodes since the change-up of setting.

Yeah, massive improvement on that Halloween one! Was a typical fun Christmas special with silly events escalating to even sillier.

Me too, Christmas was an improvement. The next series can pickup a bit. Hoping we get at least some kind of laughter track that doesn't sound too canned.

What was the audience like for these recordings?

There's been no audience, Dave.

So how do we get a series 11: thread

Start one!