Recent sitcoms Page 3

Quote: navpaks @ 31st October 2019, 5:11 PM

What is billed as comedy should just be billed as drama.

Agree. We are being fooled now into accepting light soaps as sitcoms, a savage insult to our best decades of classic sitcoms. Angry

Quote: navpaks @ 31st October 2019, 5:11 PM

how do all the crap ones we get on TV get selected?

By being written by known names in the so-called comedy industry. They are not scrutinised like unknowns' because they've sold tickets at stand-up gigs so must be good. They usually aren't, as we know only too well now. Sitcom commissioners have lost the plot.

Maybe as an art form its time has passed. In the great sweep of history sitcoms were around for a blink of an eye, compared to literature or plays. Maybe it's time to accept that as an art form they've had their day.

Quote: chipolata @ 1st November 2019, 11:54 AM

Maybe as an art form its time has passed. In the great sweep of history sitcoms were around for a blink of an eye, compared to literature or plays. Maybe it's time to accept that as an art form they've had their day.

The reason sitcom has been around only for the blink of an eye is that radio and television have been around only for the blink of an eye.

Accordingly, I see no reason why sitcom should not continue to exist for as long as radio, television and/or their home-based entertainment successors continue to exist

The primary reason sitcom is in decline is, I believe, its cost of production compared with the cost of producing alternative light entertainment such as panel shows and reality shows.

Another factor is that some panel shows and some reality shows attract large audiences and thus represent excellent value for the broadcasters' (or the public's) money.

Yet another factor is broadcasters' keenness that the talents of writers and actors should come a very distant second to the socio-political desirability of those writers and actors.

As long as TV comedy is controlled by virtue-signalling snowflakes or by genuinely sincere but nevertheless deluded snowflakes and as long as much cheaper productions can entertain the great unwashed just as well as modern sitcom can, the future of quality TV sitcom will be almost non-existent.

The good news is that, until such time as the world wakes up from nightmare that is being #woke, we can always watch Netflix or Amazon Prime or some other streaming service that gives us sitcom from the days when quality mattered.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st November 2019, 1:30 PM

The reason sitcom has been around only for the blink of an eye is that radio and television have been around only for the blink of an eye.

Precisely. And in Darwinian terms maybe the sitcom, for whatever reason, just isn't strong enough to survive.

Forced myself to endure about 5 minutes of Plebs the other day..

Oh boy.....

I also agree it's not that funny at all.