TPTV Films Page 10

Thank you TPTV, you've saved me a about a fiver and now I've deleted my search on Ebay for "Inn For Trouble" now you have shown it.

Made my day. :D

So review, now I've watched it...............

Inn for Trouble (1960)

Amusing but certainly not funny film, which through my rose-tinted specs I thought was funnier as the TV series The Larkins. The only saving grace for me was Peggy Mount who is always good for a laugh - I can highly recommend the TV series "George and the Dragon" with Sid James and film "Sailor Beware!" to see Peggy at her full blast best.

A number of "faces", including Leslie Phillips, Graham Stark, Barbara Mitchell (playing to another Ada), Stanley Unwin, Charles Hawtrey, Gerald Campion (Bunter of course), Willoughby Goddard (oddly playing a policeman - again I can highly recommend "The Mind of Mr. J.G. Reeder"), A.E. Matthews (old duffers - apparently died the year the film was released aged 90), Irene Handl, Esma Cannon, Graham Moffatt (looking old, bald and fat sadly - Will Hay films) and an uncredited Edward Woodward who I didn't spot, but maybe he was edited out of the TPTV version they broadcast.

Belchers Beer.That's quite funny.
We couldn't get ITV ,never saw the Larkins.Peggy Mount is always good though,as you say.

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th October 2019, 5:09 PM

We couldn't get ITV ,never saw the Larkins.

Yes, we didn't get a clear signal until 1959, when they built the 1000ft Mendlesham aerial mast in Suffolk

A Taste of Honey (1961)

Had never seen this film, so wanted to see what all the fuss was about as it received mucho raving at the time of its release and every review on IMDb was of high praise; BUT I'm not fond of these kitchen sink dramas, full of angst and regret, but there again don't feel as though I've wasted 2 hours of my life.

Shown as part of Dora Bryan day, she was brilliant in it as was everyone else really with I see Murray Melvin receiving the best actor award in the Cannes Film Festival and yes, he was very good.
Best thing for me, being a nostalgia freak, was the post war scenes of Manchester and Blackpool.

The Blue Parrot (1953)

Poor even for a B movie and most on IMDb seem to agree, with for me only being interesting as to who was in it -

The Major in Fawlty Towers (Ballard Berkeley) as the police superintendent, Dermot Walsh playing an American detective (WHY? No Yank wanted the part?), Arthur Rigby (Dixon of Dock Green station sergeant) and John Le Mez (against type) as the dodgy owner of a very sleazy nightclub (Blue Parrot) ............................

"I wish to make a complaint, about this 'ere parrot I bought not half an hour ago from this very boutique"

The Next of Kin (1942)

Quite a long film for a propaganda one via the Imperial War Museum with a nice bit of intrigue regarding Fifth Columnists and spies, with "Careless Talk Costs Lives" and/or "Be like Dad, Keep Mum".

Unusual in one of my favourite actors Mervyn Johns, normally playing a quiet man, in this is the main German villain - the complete opposite from the similar but far, far better "Went the Day Well" in which he had a major part.

And YET AGAIN the prudish TPTV blurred out the cover of a saucy magazine that he browsed in a book shop - for crying out loud TPTV give it a rest!!!!

And apparently, according to the IMDb, "Winston Churchill wanted to ban this film because he considered that it would demoralize audiences", and I have to admit the British do not come out well in some parts of the film.

Be like dad,keep mum

:) that would cause a war these days.

Journey Together (1945)

Another IWM film about training pilots for the RAF, which I was most interested in as my father served for 27 years, coming out a Flight; BUT despite a number of famous actors in it I only managed to watch it half way through as it was SO boring!

Mr. Proudfoot Shows a Light (1941)

Very short PIF, which was a bit silly really about the dangers of being careless with the blackout. The only persons of note in it were Michael Wilding (missed him) and Irene Handl - blink and you'd miss her.

Sounds like the blackout was successful then :)

Yes, well Mr Proudfoot ( an arrogant know-it all) had his house bombed because of his carelessness.

On reflection, I realise why I didn't notice Michael Redgrave - it was because there were no British airman in the film, only German and he must have been one of those and I didn't twig him. Also them all speaking with clipped English accents of that period was VERY weird.
"I say chaps, Heil Hitler"

Vacant Possession 1966

This was an odd thing for TPTV as it appeared to be an hour-long episode from a TV series such as the "Wednesday Play" or some such like.

Wasn't bad and I only watched it to see a well-spoken mid-30s Brian Murphy sans tash, and was that a wig he was wearing?

I think I watched that a while ago is that the one where the old lady is a bit of a con artist if it is I enjoyed it.But you are right it did seem to be part of an anthology series

Yes, and I think she played the mother to the supermarket owner (?) Peter Bowles (?) in To the Manor Born - wasn't a series I followed.