Forces TV

I just discovered this station a couple of weeks ago. A strange idea really. Presumably in olden days this was purely for the forces.

Anyway I'm watching Keep it in the Family and have watched Shelley and Trippers Day.

https://www.skymedia.co.uk/channels/forces-tv/

I've watched it for a while it had some interesting documentaries but I do find the comedies an eclectic bunch and they do repeat a lot

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2019, 8:37 PM

I just discovered this station a couple of weeks ago.

They broadcast the first series of Bilko back in July 2017 as discussed at some length on these very forums at the time:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/14917/2/#P1176639

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 29th October 2019, 2:11 PM

Bilko

Arguably the funniest sitcom character and the funniest sitcom - ever!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 29th October 2019, 2:35 PM

Arguably the funniest sitcom character and the funniest sitcom - ever!

Surely no "arguably" about it. And the most enduring. Only Hancock's Half Hour runs it close in both respects.

Quote: Chappers @ 28th October 2019, 8:37 PM

I just discovered this station a couple of weeks ago. A strange idea really. Presumably in olden days this was purely for the forces.

The American military has had a similar service for decades, although I don't think it's accessible by the general public. When I was abroad it was nice to see familiar programming. It's probably not as big of a deal now that people can stream shows from around the world.

The programming is provided by the American Forces Radio and Television Radio and Television Service, or AFRTS. It is commonly commonly pronounced "A-farts." :D

I watched 'Get Some In" a few months ago on it - it hadn't aged well.

I find the comedy shows it is currently airing to be pretty weak and seem incredibly dated and twee. Bless This House is watchable because of Sid James but I wished he slapped some sense into his kids. Shelley I find so-so but not particularly funny, Keep It In The Family I find is one of the twee middle class sitcoms that were all over TV in the eighties, and Tripper's Day is awful despite Leonard Rossiter.

Quote: DaButt @ 29th October 2019, 3:05 PM

The American military has had a similar service for decades, although I don't think it's accessible by the general public.

There are other stations available to the serving forces only; Forces TV is aimed at military personnel but public facing and accessible.

I've just found this and thought it a very strange mix considering the average age of the armed forces is probably not going to be in the Bless This House demographic. Having said that I did laugh (once) when Sid James started talking about Europe and referendums with his wife taking the opposing view.

I've only watched a few but really enjoying Shelly. Found the humour much more adult than I remember or maybe most of the jokes went over my head when I first saw it. Surprised my parents let me.

Quote: Sixty3closure @ 3rd November 2019, 8:51 AM

I've only watched a few but really enjoying Shelley.

I remember Shelley finding out that conception does not typically take place during sexual intercourse: it takes place sometime later.

It struck him that, because that is so, a woman might very well become pregnant while she's vacuuming the carpet.

He's right.

I suppose one might say (if one were into American expressions) that, at that moment, she's sucking it up in more ways than one. Laughing out loud

And I realise now that Andy Hamilton wrote some of Shelley.

I've just come across Forces TV as well. Enjoying Father, Dear Father and noticed there was a run of aorund 4 or 5 Bless This House on yesterday (Sat) that I recorded. Shelley I must admit I've not seen for years.

Watched slingers day with Bruce Forsyth he was a great entertainer but a pretty bad actor judging this, I have never heard of this program or the Leonard rossiter version read up about it and found out that is was rossiter's last work and when he died Forsyth replaced him.

Quote: Billygoatscruff @ 11th November 2019, 9:11 AM

Watched slingers day with Bruce Forsyth he was a great entertainer but a pretty bad actor judging this, I have never heard of this program or the Leonard rossiter version read up about it and found out that is was rossiter's last work and when he died Forsyth replaced him.

Yes, I too watched this out of curiosity as I never watched the series when first broadcast. Don't know of course what it was like with LR, but with Brucie I suppose it was OK...................just that, OK. An interesting look at 80s TV middle of the road comedy.