Mulberry

Does anyone remember this from the 90s? Starring Geraldine McEwan (of Marple) as Ms. Farnaby, and Karl Howman as Mulberry, a grim reaper sent to ease Ms. Farnaby into the afterlife. I enjoyed this back in the day, it was a very gentle comedy but very much a sitcom. It was created by John Esmonde and Rob Larbey and lasted for two series. It's a shame that it was not allowed to finish, for it ended without Ms. Farnaby dying.

I became interested in this during the pledge weeks we have here in the States for our Public Broadcasting channels and they have a program called something like "Britcoms: from script to screen" or something like that. They interviewed Larbey about this program (one of many he was asked about) and the premise piqued my curiosity. He revealed his planned ending which was never done, wish it was because it sounded brilliant!

Quote: Dice @ August 30 2013, 5:54 AM BST

I became interested in this during the pledge weeks we have here in the States for our Public Broadcasting channels and they have a program called something like "Britcoms: from script to screen" or something like that. They interviewed Larbey about this program (one of many he was asked about) and the premise piqued my curiosity. He revealed his planned ending which was never done, wish it was because it sounded brilliant!

I saw that myself, on WNED?? It would have made such a good ending, and you could really see that he cared about this show and the characters. This is the clip you mean?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fjDZSvzMVw

I remember enjoying this one back in the day. Will try to get round to watching a few episodes to see how it holds up.

Never watched this. What channel is it on?

It ran for 13 episodes over two series on BBC One, in 1992 and 1993.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/1159/mulberry_the_complete_first_second_series_dvd/

Yeah, enjoyed this on original (NZ) transmission. Not quite sure, but think we might have had both series shown back to back, which was a bit jarring with one of the core cast changing between series! I especially liked the first series and the way it built up the mystery a bit, instead of showing its hand in the first episode.

I bought this on DVD last year and gave up after two episodes as it just seemed to take ages to get anywhere. Which is a shame as I really liked the idea of it.

I may give it a whirl again at some point, but then I said that about The Piglet Files.

Because I've read so much about this show and because I'm a Larbey fan, and have set a goal to see as many Larbey works as I can, I decided to start with this show. Am downloading the episodes from YouTube and will have a Mulberry marathon this Saturday night and the next, since PBS is having another funding drive for the next few weeks. Skimming over the episodes I have downloaded, the show doesn't really look all that great. But, I will watch the 6 and 1/2 hours of it, then make my decision. It's bound to be better than the crap PBS runs during the membership drives.

After I've seen all the episodes, I will go to the site and read/watch Larbey's interview on how he would have concluded the show had he had the chance.

Have seen all episodes of this show and can now understand why it pops up in so many conversations. What a charming story! Especially the second season that, to me, just oozed charm and humour. Just begging for at least one more season. I wonder who the fools at the BBC were that cancelled it?

And Bob Larbey, years later on the interview. What a sweet gentle man. The whole Mulberry experience was pure pleasure for me.

I would highly recommend, if nothing else, view or download the two series from YouTube. Then watch the Larbey interview. Well worth the time.

Or even better, buy it!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/item/1159/mulberry_the_complete_first_second_series_dvd/

A blast from the past! I remember Mulberry and that old women.

Subversion of pretensions is an omnipresent trope in comedy, but it's something the early 90s particularly seemed to indulge in.

What stands out, however, is how often this is done for Miss Farnaby to her own aid and delight, as well as being something that's just exploited for comedic effect. Rose's limits are self-imposed and she relishes in Mulberry creating a rapport with her and empowering her to do things she enjoys while she's still here.

I've been watching this recently and loved it to bits. It's an endlessly charming series, with characterisation strong throughout. Howman's performance as Mulberry sees shades of Jacko repurposed to a much grander end, as an outgoing and cheeky son of the grim reaper with a conscience.

Yet another one that completely passed me by. More evidence if needed that we don't make anywhere near enough sitcoms anymore. Reading the blurb I'd proffer without ever knowing, this was one of those projects that wouldn't have been commissioned for anyone other than such an established sitcom creator similar to this one's.

I uploaded an interview which was an extra from the DVD to YouTube. I then tweeted it to Karl Howman who quote tweeted it and also had some nice words to say about Geraldine McEwan, which was cool.

In the interview he said that the BBC wanted another 13 episodes of Brush Strokes at the time but Esmonde and Larbey wanted to do something different, which explains how it came to be and also why it had as many episodes as it did.