Current radio comedy Page 142

Quote: chipolata @ 1st September 2019, 11:06 AM

My bad!

Did you miss some words out? Your what is bad?

Incidentally there's a Tim Vine radio programme next Thursday on Radio 4 at 6.30.

Quote: Chappers @ 1st September 2019, 9:36 PM

Incidentally there's a Tim Vine radio programme next Thursday on Radio 4 at 6.30.

Yes, very much looking forward to that - can't be done of the radio of course, but Flag Hippo is SOOOO FUNNY!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjqIDFjBNhQ

God's Work was bad, Charlotte And Lillian was alright.

As for less recent stuff I've been listening to Don't Start recently and it's good.

I found this week's Clare in the Community (and I'm not a huge fan of it) and especially An Actor's Life For Me laugh out loud. Also enjoying Potting On, The Cold Swedish Winter, Marriage Lines and the not intended comedy of Dixon of Dock Green. R4 Extra does though need to put the link to its schedule at the top of its page where it would be easy to find.

Well, blow me down,Dixon of Dock Green on the radio.I've just had a look,first broadcast in 2005.
Why oh why oh why ?
It was out of date in 60's.
I thought Z Cars had driven it to well deserved oblivion.

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th October 2019, 12:39 AM

Well, blow me down,Dixon of Dock Green on the radio.I've just had a look,first broadcast in 2005.
Why or why or why ?
It was out of date in 60's.
I thought Z Cars had driven it to well deserved oblivion.

Nostalgia, I suspect.

A number of episodes have been adapted for radio by Sue Rodwell who is quite keen on crime - although I have no evidence that she commits much of it herself.

You haven't heard it then.

Quote: john tregorran @ 24th October 2019, 12:58 AM

You haven't heard it then.

No, I admit I haven't heard it. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 24th October 2019, 9:40 AM

No, I admit I haven't heard it. Laughing out loud

It's not like you to pass comment on something you have little or no knowledge about. Whistling nnocently

Quote: chipolata @ 24th October 2019, 9:46 AM

It's not like you to pass comment on something you have little or no knowledge about. Whistling nnocently

Outrageous! Angry

I am really enjoying "The Change" which in 2019 probably hovers around "great stuff versus trite and patronising" angles. I'm not bothered about those. I recognise it as a genuinely funny and brave bit of writing for its time not so long ago.

Well acted too.

Has there been any discussion of it here before?

(Not that it needs to be said but I have never had such a leaning whatsoever so it teaches all the issues that can arise) :)

Have just voted in the second round of the Comedy Awards. Many of my Round One nominations were chosen for Round Two. More than I expected. Mostly I found it quite easy to vote in Round One although I only found one programme to vote for in each of two categories. I just about managed to find something very good in each category to vote for in Round Two too although in a couple of the TV categories there were few alternatives to the one I voted for which I liked.

But turning to Round Two in more detail, the most difficult category for me turned out to be radio sitcom. Not because of having too few options. Because it is the category where every one of the final six in my humble opinion is excellent. (Plus I could name at least another six radio sitcoms which, while being from previous years, I heard on the radio for the first time during 2019 - including The Cold Swedish Winter, The Change and Potting On - all of which were very good indeed).

A bit surprised by this although pleased as it shows that radio comedy in the round (many of the other radio categories have several greats in them too) has really picked up from what were in my opinion its worst decades - the 1990s and the Noughties - (I accept that Potting On was originally 2008 but that is late in the Noughties when things radio comedy wise did start to get better) - and is now very probably ahead of much television output, some of which is totally dreadful. Still fortunately nothing British quite reached the depths of Schitt's Creek which appears to have gained international awards and doesn't have a single laugh in it. I did try for a whole episode of it but left conceding I would just have to be bemused.

I found a great profile on YouTube that has pretty much any radio comedy you can think of

And it's updated constantly too

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCC_qWsYJboW8n0yDJXO_oSA

Quote: lofthouse @ 13th January 2020, 9:05 PM

I found a great profile on YouTube that has pretty much any radio comedy you can think of

And it's updated constantly too

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCC_qWsYJboW8n0yDJXO_oSA

Wow - it took a while to load up on my old computer but it looks "extensive"!!!!!

Yes,thanks.There's a lot to digest there :)