I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,108

Bit of a cop out giving the Booker to two people, but Atwood is a fantastic novelist (and very funny) and deserves the plaudits.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 14th October 2019, 11:18 AM

Not true - they're just the ones that the media like to report and on whom the authorities prefer to clamp down as the following report in yesterday's paper shows:

The media tend to report them because they are far more commonplace - whether you like it or not Brexit has unleashed an ugliness in this country that seems to make it more acceptable to abuse women and minorities. There are, of course, examples from the other side, but they are fewer and farther between. And incidentally, I'm not sure the authorities clamp down on any of the abuse particularly effectively.

Quote: chipolata @ 15th October 2019, 6:33 AM

The media tend to report them because they are far more commonplace... There are, of course, examples from the other side, but they are fewer and farther between.

Maybe; maybe not. But the word you used previously when asserting death threats and abuse from one side to the other, and which needed rectifying (which you now evidently accept), was "always".

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th October 2019, 8:50 AM

Maybe; maybe not. But the word you used previously when asserting death threats and abuse from one side to the other, and which needed rectifying (which you now evidently accept) was "always".

Agreed.
9 times out of 10 would be a fairer assessment.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th October 2019, 4:42 AM

Making money,making more money,having money,keeping money is what our world is all about isn't it?Even if it means destroying where we live.I'm not surprised they were disturbed by someone actually throwing it around.
You don't seem to have much luck on your little jaunts Horse.
I try to blend with the background and become invisible,it's a lot less stressful

Well, I never really liked money and certainly I rarely ever thought about it for decades. When I was employed I just went though the motions of going in and being paid just enough to cope with most necessary expenses. It was probably only in that moment that I realised just what it meant to other people. That they became more frightened of someone chucking it away than they would about almost everything else. Not because of the physicality of it which was negligible but the mindset which was so far removed from their own - it was something that all of those who fell silent could never have been able to do psychologically - that they regarded it totally illogically as if they had just been burgled.

Tbh, I found that side to them bizarre and reprehensible. How they all reacted shook me. It wasn't even as if it was the City of London. It was at what is essentially a left wing musical convention. Nor were any of them poor. They couldn't have been. It was just like a sign had come up above their heads saying "all these people were brainwashed". And it made me shudder because it showed me that by inference people must be brainwashed more generally, not least in many cases in their lust and outlook in relationships which is something else I didn't do. Food too. When people talk about food when it isn't a time for food it makes me feel physically sick. I don't think about food at all until I cook it and eat it.

The only exception is if someone says they are going to give another tuppence and then they don't give them tuppence, the issue of reneging comes into play. It isn't about the money per se. If the person who didn't get the tuppence bumped off the person who had said they would give them tuppence then didn't I would see that as entirely justifiable and that any subsequent penalty for the bumping off would not be justified, not that I would actively advocate any bumping off.

Wasn't John Tregorran in The Archers?

Quote: Briosaid @ 15th October 2019, 12:19 AM

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud Though you do wonder what the Hell we pay her for.

We don't, as you well know, but you continue to propagate this myth, this lie, and yet continue to deride politicians for lying. Ah so such is the Briosaid logic, which amounts basically to: Briosaid can do no wrong and can lie and threaten murder and treason and get patted for it.

~~~~~~~

The Royal money comes from the Crown estates taxed at 85% (I think) and then a relatively small fraction is paid back as the Royal finances, https://www.royal.uk/royal-finances-0

So unless you are living in a Crown Estate building in Glasgow, you don't pay her anything.

Quote: billwill @ 15th October 2019, 12:25 PM

We don't, as you well know, but you continue to propagate this myth, this lie, and yet continue to deride politicians for lying. Ah so such is the Briosaid logic, which amounts basically to: Briosaid can do no wrong and can lie and threaten murder and treason and get patted for it.

~~~~~~~

The Royal money comes from the Crown estates taxed at 85% (I think) and then a relatively small fraction is paid back as the Royal finances, https://www.royal.uk/royal-finances-0

So unless you are living in a Crown Estate building in Glasgow, you don't pay her anything.

I really wonder about your posts, Bill. I definitely seem to have got under your skin. Anybody else can post something about your various obsessions, mainly Brexit, and you either ignore them or make a mild comment. The minute I post, you're in there with an insult. Consequently I mainly ignore your prejudiced rubbish. The matter above is much more complicated than you'd have us believe., so, you believe your rubbish and I'll believe mine. Have a nice day, when you've calmed down.

Quote: chipolata @ 15th October 2019, 6:33 AM

Bit of a cop out giving the Booker to two people, but Atwood is a fantastic novelist (and very funny) and deserves the plaudits.

The media tend to report them because they are far more commonplace - whether you like it or not Brexit has unleashed an ugliness in this country that seems to make it more acceptable to abuse women and minorities. There are, of course, examples from the other side, but they are fewer and farther between. And incidentally, I'm not sure the authorities clamp down on any of the abuse particularly effectively.

The overwhelming majority of people in the UK - I reckon it's 85-90% including me - are not merely supportive of law abiding minorities but strongly supportive and unusually so in global comparison terms. In fact, I can't think of a country which fares as well other than perhaps Norway, the Netherlands and Ireland (although the element of Irish hatred towards the UK diminishes that.). The England match last night was an absolute reflection of this position and I fully welcomed it.

Gareth and the team played a blinder in all ways. Attitudes in Bulgaria are easily dismissed as "just being Eastern Europe" but they are highly prevalent in many other places including Austria, Italy and Spain. With ongoing freedom of movement, expect many more far right voters from those countries here and if Ukraine ever joined the EU then we would probably end up having sooner or later a far right party as at least Her Majesty's Official Opposition if not the UK Government.

When it comes to a desire in 2019 to manage population numbers so as to maintain health and education services and more here, you can't just pretend away the significant multiracial elements in our society or indeed the disabled, people who are not exclusively heterosexual and women if they can still be described as a minority. The wish to maintain adequate services is on behalf of every one of us. But it is patently obvious why extreme elements who are in a tiny minority of those who support Brexit are targeting a few more people from minorities currently, albeit unfairly and disgracefully. It is that they symbolise the very concept of minority, irrespective of their identities, and at the moment the minority in the referendum is dictating via Parliament to the majority in the referendum and having its own way.

Even I have become someone who finds it easy to critique minorities since 2016 in a way that I would never have done beforehand because the concept of minority has been warped by the people who lost the referendum and their representatives, It's anarchic just as Extinction Rebellion is by refusing to heed police warnings and stopping people getting to work and life saving treatment. They have turned me from a one time Green voter into someone who is virtually anti environmentalism because of them. I still deep down support the environment just as I support minorities.

But the undemocratic militancy would have to go before I could ever get back to what has been my lifetime outlook until these years and that sadly isn't going to happen. In short, these people's ways are getting in the way of my instinctive support for good causes and it works on all levels, serious and comedic. I would say that for the first time since the 1970s it is easier now to attempt right wing comedy than left wing comedy because the left has taken leave of its senses..

Nope I studiously try to avoid posting against your comments, unless you post a definite mis-truth, when I know that you have been pointed at the truth before, I know you are lieing.

There is no insult in my message above, you have previously been pointed at the truth about royal finances yet you persist in propagating the lie that the taxpayer pays royalty.

A 19-year-old girl from Gillingham who had suffered a number of gynaecological problems since the age of nine was astonished recently when doctors told her she had two vaginas, two cervixes and two wombs.

Surgeons have now made various adjustments and believe she will be able to lead a normal life.

An amazing story with, I'm very glad to say, a happy outcome.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 15th October 2019, 5:28 PM

A 19-year-old girl from Gillingham who had suffered a number of gynaecological problems since the age of nine was astonished recently when doctors told her she had two vaginas, two cervixes and two wombs.

Surgeons have now made various adjustments and believe she will be able to lead a normal life.

Asked how the young lady was feeling, a hospital spokesman said, "She's as happy as a dog with two dicks."

P. S. I made that last bit up.

I'm guessing that she was due to have been twins but the egg in her mother re-fused.

That was what happened to my cousin Alan who is now in his mid 70s. He seemed normal when born but at the age that adult teeth appear he had a couple that grew out of his stomach and they had to be removed.

They were essentially the teeth of the other twin who would have been a separate person had he not been an only child.

2027 is a long way off and that is the date until which the government has committed to maintaining the licence fee funding model for the BBC.

However, Nicky Morgan the culture secretary said today that she would be 'open-minded' about scrapping the BBC's compulsory licence fee and replacing it with a voluntary Netflix-style subscription scheme.

I can hardly wait to see the changes in policy and programming when the BBC finally has to earn its income by giving viewers the sort of programs they want rather than the sort the BBC thinks they should be watching.

All those currently riding the BBC gravy train should make hay while the sun shines.

Winter is coming!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 16th October 2019, 10:20 PM

2027 is a long way off and that is the date until which the government has committed to maintaining the licence fee funding model for the BBC.

However, Nicky Morgan the culture secretary said today that she would be 'open-minded' about scrapping the BBC's compulsory licence fee and replacing it with a voluntary Netflix-style subscription scheme.

I can hardly wait to see the changes in policy and programming when the BBC finally has to earn its income by giving viewers the sort of programs they want rather than the sort the BBC thinks they should be watching.

All those currently riding the BBC gravy train should make hay while the sun shines.

Winter is coming!

I might not live that long.

It's the big Brexit vote in Parliament today and newspapers are telling us that it could go either way.

My own personal conspiracy theory is that the whole post-referendum delay in delivering Brexit has been a charade designed to prevent it happening while simultaneously convincing us that the Prime Minister respects the will of the people and is doing his/her best to deliver on the result of the referendum.

It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if Boris fails valiantly to deliver Brexit today and, if he does, I shall be convinced that it's all been an elaborate plot to correct a mistake (the referendum) that, according to the powers that be, should never have been allowed to happen.

MPs at Westminster have just backed the Oliver Letwin amendment.

The UK is going nowhere on October 31st.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 19th October 2019, 2:52 PM

MPs at Westminster have just backed the Oliver Letwin amendment.

The UK is going nowhere on October 31st.

So a vote by tens of millions of citizens doesn't count, but one by a handful of politicians does.