The Magnet (1950)

Listed as a comedy, but I would call it a light hearted romp typical of the early 50s and not a bad story I suppose, set around New Brighton and Liverpool, and my only criticism is that the gang of lads our posh New Brighton hero meets in the Liverpool area do not have much of a Scouse accent. They were local non actors apparently, so perhaps they came from NB too.

A 11-year-old James Fox plays the young lad who runs away when he thinks he has murdered another little boy, and played him very well too.

Charming.

Were there any scenes in the fairground in N B?
I used to think that a very exciting place.

Quote: john tregorran @ 16th October 2019, 9:03 AM

Were there any scenes in the fairground in N B?
I used to think that a very exciting place.

Didn't especially make note of it like I would have done if it had been around the coast of East Anglia, but this may help off the IMDb that someone has posted :-

The Magnet - locations
melling-reid7 December 2004

A lot of the film was shot in New Brighton, and I have added this to the database as a location. The pier and ferry are no longer there but the Floral Pavilion and Wilkie's fairground (where they try to influence the pinball machine with the magnet) are. The swimming baths where the Miss New Brighton Competition takes place has gone as well. The bike shop was Longworths in Rowson St. You went and chose your bike and Mr Longworth told you to come and collect it next week so he had time to put the seat at the right height, check the brakes,oil it for you and check the tyres.

:D

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be about that estimable boys' paper that was published weekly
from 1908 - 1940 with so many excellent and much admired characters. :)

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 16th October 2019, 11:22 AM

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be about that estimable boys' paper that was published weekly
from 1908 - 1940 with so many excellent and much admired characters. :)

Bit highbrow for me, I was more your Dandy or Beano sprog until I got the long trousers and then it was the Eagle.

A delightful little film and of the four lads he met two were scouse including the Chinese lad as they met on Gt George street which is at the top of Liverpool's China Town.