BREXIT Page 8

What makes you think the EU would want the troublesome UK back after we had left?

Quote: billwill @ 14th October 2019, 11:18 PM

What makes you think the EU would want the troublesome UK back after we had left?

Well, initially it would save them the time, trouble and expense of having to adjust the orientation of all the "Land of Milk and Honey" road signs that are currently pointing towards England.

Also, it would save them the time, trouble and expense of supplying homes and incomes to all the people who at the time of our leaving were trudging along the roads of Europe following the "Land of Milk and Honey" signs but who, upon our leaving, had to stop in their tracks and forget all about moving to England.

I tell you - when hardly anybody in Paris speaks French and hardly anybody in Berlin speaks German, they'll be begging us to rejoin.

(Little bit of right-wing comedy there, ladies and gentlemen!) Laughing out loud

de Gaulle never wanted us in the first place.

We'd certainly find it hard to re-join under the same advantageous conditions we enjoy now.

Man who shoots himself in foot demands new shoes.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 14th October 2019, 11:48 PM

Well, initially it would save them the time, trouble and expense of having to adjust the orientation of all the "Land of Milk and Honey" road signs that are currently pointing towards England.

Also, it would save them the time, trouble and expense of supplying homes and incomes to all the people who at the time of our leaving were trudging along the roads of Europe following the "Land of Milk and Honey" signs but who, upon our leaving, had to stop in their tracks and forget all about moving to England.

I tell you - when hardly anybody in Paris speaks French and hardly anybody in Berlin speaks German, they'll be begging us to rejoin.

(Little bit of right-wing comedy there, ladies and gentlemen!) Laughing out loud

That's all just wishful thinking, because the EU & treaties move so slowly that all the minor hassles would have been resolved by the time of a new UK referendum and the EU would (IMO) not really want to go the the hassle of undoing all that yet again. Besides which there is absolutely no certainty that the UK population would vote to rejoin. Once the initial hassles are over and all the project fear scenarios fail to happen, the population will probably actually prefer to stay out of the EU. The polls are notorious for being wrong on major issues as all too frequently the pollee responds with what s/he thinks the pollster wants; its quite different when they come to a real election/referendum ballot form.

Bloody hell, Bill - if you're going to post sensible replies to the stuff I write, we're never going to get anywhere! Laughing out loud

Try telling Briosaid that I only post sensible stuff & see if you get an earful. :)Laughing out loud

Quote: billwill @ 15th October 2019, 12:59 PM

Try telling Briosaid that I only post sensible stuff & see if you get an earful. :)Laughing out loud

Can't resist, can you?

As one member of this forum insisted: "It's a joke" ....

For a solution to the Irish Border problem in Brexit, you really have to think "outside the box". Nothing proposed to date really cuts it.

Here's my latest suggestion.

The EU clearly think it is politically acceptable to have one member state of a Union on a different customs union than the main political union of which they are a member. That is, after all, what they want Northern Ireland to do for Brexit and there are other cases on the continent.

So as a solution we turn the concept (of NI remaining in the EU customs) union on its head, the EU should compromise and have the Republic of Ireland (let's call it by its old name Eire for short) leave the EU customs union and join the new UK customs union. That way there will be no border impediments at all between Eire and NI. Customs infra structure already exists for goods etc transported from Eire to the rest of the EU at ports such as Calais and Amsterdam, though they may need expanding a little to cater for Eire goods etc which used to pass through unchecked.

Quote: billwill @ 15th October 2019, 11:25 PM

For a solution to the Irish Border problem in Brexit, you really have to think "outside the box". Nothing proposed to date really cuts it.

Here's my latest suggestion.

The EU clearly think it is politically acceptable to have one member state of a Union on a different customs union than the main political union of which they are a member. That is, after all, what they want Northern Ireland to do for Brexit and there are other cases on the continent.

So as a solution we turn the concept (of NI remaining in the EU customs) union on its head, the EU should compromise and have the Republic of Ireland (let's call it by its old name Eire for short) leave the EU customs union and join the new UK customs union. That way there will be no border impediments at all between Eire and NI. Customs infra structure already exists for goods etc transported from Eire to the rest of the EU at ports such as Calais and Amsterdam, though they may need expanding a little to cater for Eire goods etc which used to pass through unchecked.

Yeah, but why should Ireland have to suffer? They're more than happy to stay in the EU with all their rules and regulations, and they didn't vote to leave or change.

Quote: chipolata @ 16th October 2019, 9:37 AM

Yeah, but why should Ireland have to suffer? They're more than happy to stay in the EU with all their rules and regulations, and they didn't vote to leave or change.

N. Ireland didn't vote for it either.
Yet still they're being shafted.

The reunification of Ireland is becoming more likely by the day. If I had to be attach to a free market, I'd chose the bigger one. Wales and Scotland are also thinking in that direction. Boris got booed in both those countries, says it all.

Boris gets booed by his own family. He's very booable.