The Cracksman (1963)

Starring and mostly written by Charlie Drake "the Marmite comic". At his height (5ft 1" :P) in the late 50s early 60s he was a very big star on television, but I think he couldn't accept his rapid decline and going off people's radar, as borne out by the documentary he did in 2001 with the Arena's "Drake's Progress" that I recorded and have on DVD somewhere - I do remember he was living in a flat somewhere with one of his brothers and was a bitter man.

But I digress. The film. It was good and enjoyable but at nearly 2 hours long it could have been shortened, I think.

Lots of then famous people in it of course, BUT the thing that amused me was when he was in prison, at one point when a group of prisoners were sitting around a table you could be forgiven if you thought you were watching an episode of "Porridge" for there was a "Grouty" lookalike Percy Herbert AND Ronnie Barker for all the world looking like Norman Stanley Fletcher. Bit weird for a few seconds there.

Watched recently on TPTV, a good film. I think you're right about him being bitter. Have read and seen a lot about him and co-stars and crew all seem to agree he wasn't the nicest person.

Didn't he get badly injured doing one of his stunts? Bashed by a bookcase?
I used to find him more annoying than funny.

Quote: john tregorran @ 14th October 2019, 11:36 PM

Didn't he get badly injured doing one of his stunts? Bashed by a bookcase?

Yes, that's quite a famous sketch that went badly wrong - he was thrown through a bookcase, which through a misunderstanding, was made too solid and he was knocked out, and then to make matters worse he was picked up off the floor unconscious and dumped out of a window.

There was a rumour that the bookcase was made too solid by a set carpenter whom Drake had upset.