Joker

I've just watched this splendid film noir. Joaquin Phoenix sensational as the deranged would-be standup ending up as the Lord of Misrule. Unmissable!

Having not seen Joker, I feel qualified to deplore that it is nothing more than tediously violent dreck, masquerading as a visceral examination of mental illness. The truth is, this film is just using a big-name "villain-origin-story" with a big-name star to sell us the lie that society is to blame for attention-seeking psychopaths.

Gets great reviews, but some cite it as a gore-fest that may inspire copy cat violence.

Ffs

How many more frigging Batman, marvel, superhero movies do we actually need?????

The American film industry should just f**k off and die

Churning out the same god awful rubbish over and over and over again

Quote: lofthouse @ 11th October 2019, 7:10 PM

The American film industry should just f**k off and die

So should a lot of people I can think of.

However, speaking purely for myself, I'd be prepared to spare the lives of some members of the American film industry.

I'll let you know what I think about Joker when I see it.

It's not my sort of thing.I don't like violence,even someone shouting puts me on edge.
Fortunately there a lots of good films being made ,they just don't come from Hollywood.

What has Hollywood given us this week?

A new Rambo movie

A new Terminator movie

Absolutely pathetic

Hollywood has always been sequel and franchise obsessed, but there's good stuff being made as well and the world would be a poorer place without American films. As for Joker, it looks one of the more interesting comic book films.

It actually has very little in common with the Marvel superhero films, which I dislike too. It's more of a film noir. Will Gompertz gave it a great review for the BBC.

They should make a comic superhero film called Beaky - A mild mannered man from Sussex who got his terrific nose caught in an electric car charger on holiday in Marbella now as soon as anyone criticises Europe or calls the Spanish lazy bastards with a penchant for rough wine and animal cruelty his nose turns into a deadly weapon karate chopping down Brexiteers mercilessly.

haha! Bastard.

The reality is that American movies are financed by people who want to make money not movies. There is little favour amongst these investors for anything that is not similar to the last one that made money. Americans go to their multiplexes every week and decide on what they'll watch when they get there were as we tend to go to see a specific film. On top of that after America their biggest target is Asia and the far east etc were it will be watched as a second language thats why every crash turns into an explosion.
I think that the French channel Canal is very good, their work on Tinker Tailor was refreshing in that it did not over simplify. About the best American movie I have seen in awhile was Scario as it never told you anything you had to learn what was happening in the same way the main character as it happened .

Joker is very good.
Not a superhero/villain film in any shape or form, thank God.
You'll need a sit down and a cup of tea afterwards, though.

I've just watched Joker and it's excellent.

There are a few pre-Batman-related references but the film would still be every bit as good as it is if Batman had never existed. It's not necessary to have heard of Batman in order to enjoy it thoroughly.

It's a hugely entertaining and thought-provoking film and it's infinitely better than I thought it was going to be.

There are a couple of very violent scenes but they're brief and serve well to remind us that not everybody in our society is constrained by the same values that keep most of us on the relatively straight and narrow.

It won't be everybody's ideas of a cinematic masterpiece but it's one of the best films I've seen and it's certainly a film that nobody who sees it is ever going to forget.

Joaquin Phoenix is sensational in the title role.

Best film I've seen in years.