The general pop/rock - music thread Page 195

Quote: john tregorran @ 3rd October 2019, 6:27 AM

Have you ever encountered The Mountain Goats in your travels up North?
They are my obsession at the moment.It's really just John Darnielle and whoever he can persuade to play along.
They have a recent album but this is from 2005.
I picked this track to keep the football theme going.Not that it's about the famous Midlands team of course.

Ah, Vanderslice.

Yes, I am aware of the Mountain Goats but they are linked to my 2008-2012 ish period when I delved massively into Spotify as a new subscriber to see what I might have missed in all eras. There was a feeling by then that I had filled in a lot of my late 20th Century gaps in knowledge of my own accord, especially via CDs in the 1990s, and that was while maintaining an active interest in what then was current. What I expected was that I would mainly find things which were from after 2000 when indie/alternative was really pushed out by radio in favour of pop/tripe and I did so although I was also surprised and delighted to find that there was still great stuff from the 60s-90s of which I had been unaware. And I guess the Mountain Goats sort of straddled all of that work by being 1990s going into and through the 2000s. I like them.

As for what are called mountain goats in the UK, I have only formed a close relationship with them in the South West and East Anglia. There are some splendid ones on the road out of Lynton, Devon towards the Valley of the Rocks who if they are not clinging to a hillside stand with a look as if to say "if you want to walk past me you will have to box". And dear old Cromer in Norfolk of course, where they munch happily "nex''" the sea just before the pier, where boozy theatre goers seem to the casual observer to be parading in Victorian costume when actually it is what they wear when they go into Lidl.

As for Wolves, what a great result for them on the weekend. My day trip early this year to learn about the West Midlands has been previously documented here. While I was on my way to see the Villa, I managed to get up to Brom and then Wolverhampton so I have now seen the Wolves stadium from the outside. Mighty fine it looks too. Very, very smart. They are my No 2 team in the West Mids. And frankly who on this planet wouldn't have wanted to have been Christened Nuno Espirito Santo? A Father Christmas God figure in the middle of a Stonehenge bathed in the sunshine of Southern Europe.

I've been to Villa once,with a friend in199Osomething .We went to see his team West Ham.
As an away supporter I found the atmosphere very intimidating.
Mind you, nothing like the open warfare of the 70's.

Quote: john tregorran @ 8th October 2019, 11:54 PM

I've been to Villa once,with a friend in199Osomething .We went to see his team West Ham.
As an away supporter I found the atmosphere very intimidating.
Mind you, nothing like the open warfare of the 70's.

Yes - I didn't go to football between 1975 and 1981 and I often regret it. It was more atmospherically old school. I know as I did go in 1971-1974 but crowd trouble became a worry. The 1980s was hardly known as a bed of roses but when I did go back in '82 I found all of the newspaper talk exaggerated. I hardly experienced any problems other than one terrible time at Spurs. I was in the Chelsea end on that day. Don't ask. Far too long a story.

But with reference to what you describe, this is the middle aged sassy trick you see. Support 10-20 teams rather than just one or two and you can visit all of these places and not have to be in the away end. I have the shirts but it does require a bit of sensible strategy. For example, as I went to QPR v Luton, that ruled me out of supporting MIllwall v QPR in case jobsworths questioned it. Millwall are four places higher than QPR in my charts.

I like your posts but find you a bit difficult to place. You seem to be in Australia and the UK and I had a feeling that you thought I was in the US as well as the UK. I suppose in a sense we are all everywhere as well as everyone. We could very easily I think meet tomorrow as Nigerian women in Lagos. Anyone could. Even women. Obviously though I understand that some people are naturally mysterious, unlike we more straightforward types.

The lyrics are not at all appropriate here but the video, so typically classy of them. is:

Godley and Creme - Cry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BALmXecO0DE

(People are saying it isn't the original video - maybe not, not sure, but the key idea of it is there)

No, I never thought you were in the USA.Not while on your football ground odyssey ,anyway.:)
I used to live in the UK but decided Oz would be nicer and ,luckily, it is.

I think all of 10 cc write songs
Graham Gouldman is responsible for this masterpiece.

One of the best bands from USSR rock scene (& I know 'em all).

Black Coffee band:

That's interesting 69.
Can you tell us what your rock scene is all about?

Quote: john tregorran @ 9th October 2019, 3:09 AM

No, I never thought you were in the USA.Not while on your football ground odyssey ,anyway.:)
I used to live in the UK but decided Oz would be nicer and ,luckily, it is.

I think all of 10 cc write songs
Graham Gouldman is responsible for this masterpiece.

Yes indeed.

Oh my good gawd, what's happened?

My best mate of several on here - he's a brother really - Herc.

He's going to need carting off to somewhere. Wave

I LOVE this:

Johnny Flynn - Detectorists Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LbTeti0sw

(He's a 21st Century singer-songwriter too : bugger!) :D England

When Becky explains to Andy why she fell in love with him. We the viewer did have to ask how they were ever a couple.

He's a dreamer.

With Carla, Sullivan and Aherne and so many older ones than those people gone, readers do realise that Crook is the UK's No 1 writer? I hope so as he is and he is a fine actor too, The series got me through several hard times. I really adore it.

Thanks Mac/cast!

Quote: john tregorran @ 9th October 2019, 9:23 PM

That's interesting 69.
Can you tell us what your rock scene is all about?

It's too much of a task, really. One example, The "Kino" (=cinema) band has a cult status in post USSR countries, I like them very much.
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kino_(band)"

I prefer the second one.Even though I don't know what it's about.My Russian being a bit rusty.Would a coin on a bit of string really work?

Russia - Music and More:

I don't have a lot to offer here but when it is focussed on the late 1980s I think the start of Glasnost. Someone - actually a Greek Cypriot woman in London who I liked a lot but that is another story - gave me a tape of Boris Grebenshikov around that time. He had been in the band Aquarium since the early 1970s, had broken out to the extent that he was on American prime time chat show TV, and is now regarded probably rightly as the grandfather of Russian rock. In recent YT and Spotify years, I delved into what was really going on in the USSR and its satellites music wise in the 1960s to the early 1980s and while I can't name names as none stands out what I did find was MANY brilliant curios. Sorry, knob word!

Hard rock. Disco. Early electronica. And some wild and wacky light entertainment. I don't know quite how accessible to Russians much of it was back in the day but it raises some questions on what we were told, ie it DID happen. I do recommend that musical search to others who feel they might be interested. It is kind of full of weird grey vivid colour.

It is no secret that I have a very soft spot for Russia. I never once believed that we would have nuclear Armageddon during the existence of the USSR under Brezhnev. Obviously earlier versions - Stalin etc - were dire but they were not in my lifetime. I like Putin. I like some of his regime which seems to me more British as Britain was than Britain is now, especially re law and order. Drop a crisp packet in Red Square and you will be carted off, rightly. They value their architecture and their public spaces and like them to be clean. And to their surprise all of the football journos loved it at the World Cup.

Ruskies are in the main people who share our religion so in this world of ISIS I see no point in sabre rattling against those who would equally wish to see an end to ISIS. And Simon Reeve - wonderful, wonderful : he might feel lukewarm about me but he is my kind of easy to identify with mate - well, that TV series he did which was very much "warts and all" showed just how diverse Russia and its people are and how deeply interesting. It goes beyond a comparison with old Britain on to old America before the lawyers, the media, the violence and the hyping of polarisation and insanity set in.

It's a nervy off key performance but then it would have been wouldn't it - it was still very dangerous and not only then but with hindsight this rather modest Knopfler/Springsteen ish affair was a HUGE moment in all cultural history. It's fascinating to watch - that smile of semi relief a little way in - and listen to, as he is literally throwing off the weight of oppression of history for millions while not knowing if the tide will then take it forwards or backwards. A big task for quite a young guy :

Boris Grebenshikov (BG) - Radio Silence (Letterman), 1989 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E1ewQwdRlg

(30 years ago - I was 26) ;)

I've no doubt of your love for Mother Russia but I don't think the proud folk there would take to being called Ruskies.I could be wrong of course better than Commie Bastards I suppose.
I remember at the height of the Cold War we were always shown troops and tanks processing through Red Square.What a dark miserable place it looked.Until we saw it on a colour TV :)

Quote: john tregorran @ 11th October 2019, 1:53 AM

I've no doubt of your love for Mother Russia but I don't think the proud folk there would take to being called Ruskies.I could be wrong of course better than Commie Bastards I suppose.
I remember at the height of the Cold War we were always shown troops and tanks processing through Red Square.What a dark miserable place it looked.Until we saw it on a colour TV :)

Some of my best friends are Ruskies.

At the boxing club, they call me Taff, Jock, Paddy and all of the other words for Englishman and I don't mind one jot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6wl-EyhXl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiVqTYeIdIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKHoVlfvzrk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAQYMgAeqDY

That's alright then :)
don't want an international incident.

Do you actually hit people?Or just do the training.
I'd like to know for future reference.

Quote: john tregorran @ 11th October 2019, 3:56 AM

That's alright then :)
don't want an international incident.

Do you actually hit people?Or just do the training.
I'd like to know for future reference.

Eh?

The classes are for women only.

I just go there on Muffin Mondays.

Not for a muffin but for a bacon sandwich.

Well excuse me for being confused.
You go to a boxing club when it's open for women to eat a bacon sandwich?
OK. I'll say no more about it.:)