I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again Page 2

Again, much the same as last week without John Cleese for some reason, and I forgot to mention last week (the 1st. Ep. of this 2nd series) we hear the new Angus Prune theme tune for the first time, but no lyrics yet.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 27th September 2019, 9:50 AM

Again, much the same as last week without John Cleese for some reason..................

Much the same again this week - still waiting for the ISIRTA I remember, as some of this is absolutely dire and not funny in the slightest.

I remember my schoolfriends loving this show and quoting endlessly from it, but I never much liked it then, and couldn't bear to listen to it again.

Curse of the Flying Wombat was October to December 1966. Can't see any mention of King Lear though Episode 4 did include "Will Jo do a love scene with King Harold?"

First episode is described as "The explosive Flying Wombat" rather than the Curse.

Edit: Ooops just noticed the query was from 2013. Guess they're not coming back.

It was really the radio equivalent of Monty Python which also was very hit and miss.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th October 2019, 8:45 PM

It was really the radio equivalent of Monty Python ...............................

Hmmm.........not really.

It was also pretty racist, even for the time.

Quote: beaky @ 7th October 2019, 12:25 AM

Hmmm........not really

pretty racist

Helga Geerhart: a very pretty racist.

There was a certain amount of race-based humour in some episodes of I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again but race-based humour is not necessarily racist.

A glance at the photograph at the top of this thread shows five young, able-bodied, white men and one young, able-bodied, white woman - all from Britain's educational top drawer.

So, if we're looking for derogatory adjectives ending in "ist", I can think of a few more.

But are we really looking for such adjectives?

Can't we just enjoy it for what it was - a funny radio programme?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 7th October 2019, 8:44 AM

Hmmm........not really

There's an echo.

What wasn't at that time, even on TV of course; but it was all fairly innocuous. I can still remember the spawn of this (ISIHAC) on one of the early episodes, with one of those "Late arrivals at the Ambassadors Ball", Bill Oddie made up a very racist name.

Sorry to use the tired statement "it was of it's time", but how many more years are we going to bash ourselves over the head with what happened yonks ago. We now know it was wrong..............let's move on for f**k's sake.

The definition of "racist" and "racism" has been changed in recent years to suit various agendas.

The correct definitions are being anti- a particular race or showing hatred and animosity to a particular race. Making a joke without any malice is not automatically showing hatred or animosity. Similarly dressing up to honour somebody you particularly admire is clearly not showing hatred or animosity, either to that person or to a race in general (in fact the opposite is true). Any more than the Bootleg Beatles are showing a hatred of Liverpudlians, Bjorn Again are showing animosity to Swedes or Elvis lmpersonators are anti-American.

MUCH better this week as I found myself laughing out loud, so more like the ISIRTA from the later episodes I remember.

Still no John Cleese and I did notice that this episode was co-written by Esmonde and Larbey, so I wonder if that's the reason for the sudden improvement?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th October 2019, 9:11 AM

MUCH better this week as I found myself laughing out loud, so more like the ISIRTA from the later episodes I remember.

Still no John Cleese and I did notice that this episode was co-written by Esmonde and Larbey, so I wonder if that's the reason for the sudden improvement?

I will have to try it. Disappointed by most of the episodes I've heard. For example, I often find the Bill Oddie songs a bit embarrassing. I have memories of it as a child which isn't surprising as they recorded so many episodes. But I think there is a lot of stuff from that era which is much better. It makes me wonder about The Goodies on TV which I loved much as I loved the Banana Splits. I'm sort of wondering if I would be disappointed by that now. It is never shown for some reason.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 16th October 2019, 1:18 AM

I will have to try it. Disappointed by most of the episodes I've heard. For example, I often find the Bill Oddie songs a bit embarrassing. I have memories of it as a child which isn't surprising as they recorded so many episodes. But I think there is a lot of stuff from that era which is much better. It makes me wonder about The Goodies on TV which I loved much as I loved the Banana Splits. I'm sort of wondering if I would be disappointed by that now. It is never shown for some reason.

Yes, as I said in all my previous posts on these first episodes, which I'd never heard before, they are rubbish and I did wonder why it was given further series; BUT it has improved this week - maybe the two new scriptwriters? I started listening to this in the late 60s when I thought it was hilarious and have many of them on cassette. You need to stick with it and it will get better as they find their feet and John Cleese reappears. Yes, the Bill Oddie songs, though clever, are like Marmite.

As for the Goodies - I bought the recent mega box set and am gradually working my way through it in my DVD rotated watching, and I have to be honest it hasn't travelled well. I can't see now why I thought it so funny at the time, and as for it being on TV, I doubt very much if you will see it - maybe when the DVDs are no longer selling?

Didn't think it could get any worse, but this was dire! Don't understand it as the later ones (with Cleese) were so funny. There was a sketch at the beginning about a Greek phrase book (I think) and the audience were in raptures at some bits (it did go on too long as well) so I can only assume they were all pissed out of their heads, when you would laugh at anything. Weird