Bottoms Up!

Rather tired comedy that wouldn't appeal today and not as funny as the TV series it was based on (I have one on DVD and it's better than this). Arthur Howard as the put-upon Deputy Head Pettigrew was as always very good though.

Interesting nonetheless if only to see a young Richard Briers and yet again Melvin Hayes (at 24) playing a schoolboy - also sort of "linked" to him was Donald Hewlett, as a teacher, who played the Colonel in It Ain't Half Hot Mum.

ALSO noticed, yet again, that TPTV had blurred out a very brief shot of somebody's nude (Gosh!!) bottom, as they did at the end of the I'm All Right Jack film. Very silly bit of PC control.

Hitting someone on the bottom with a stick. It's just done for pleasure, by some, these days isn't it?
(So I've been told.)

Very kinky with elements of paedophilia.

Jimmy Edwards made a career out of it. Apart from Mr Glum I can't remember him in much else.

Jim was very much a product of his generation: a decorated RAF pilot, he grew his trademark handlebar moustache in order to conceal injuries sustained in a crash landing when his Dakota was brought down by enemy action.

Not a lot of people know that!

Quote: john tregorran @ 4th October 2019, 8:36 PM

Jimmy Edwards made a career out of it.Apart from Mr Glum I can't remember him in much else.

Two other films - Innocents in Paris and Three Men in a Boat spring to mind. Like many of today's "celebrities" was a regular in various panel games, notably Does the Team Think?. Acted in various productions on-stage, probably best remembered for touring with Eric Sykes in Big Bad Mouse. Talking of Eric Sykes was in The Plank of course. Stood as a Conservative candidate in the 1964 General Election but failed to get elected. Also a keen fox hunter.

Does the team think.
I think he actually devised that. I used to listen in just to get annoyed.
Although Ted Ray was on it and I liked him.

LOVED The Glums and still listen to them now.

"Oh Ron, beloved"
"Yes, Eth"

Whilst not nearly as good as Whack-O!, I do like this film - and its poster is one my favourites in my collection.

Quote: Aaron @ 18th October 2019, 4:10 PM

Whilst not nearly as good as Whack-O!, I do like this film - and its poster is one my favourites in my collection.

Trades description? I don't remember a young lady scantily clad like that in the film!

Quote: Aaron @ 18th October 2019, 4:10 PM

That is extremely sexist and offensive - to someone I'm sure!:)

Scene: a quiz night or, perhaps, a Christmas party game.

"What am I describing?

Huge numbers of innocent people removed against their will from happy homes and transported to a place where they would be ill-fed, ill-treated, despised, routinely beaten and frequently used for the sexual pleasure of opportunistic predators whom they were powerless to resist?"

"The Nazi Holocaust? Good guess but it's not what I'm looking for."

"The American slave trade? Another good guess but it's not what I have a card."

"Any other guesses?"

"Come on. No idea? Okay, I'll give you a clue: it's always been acceptable subject for comedy."

"Another clue? It was all done for their own good."

"Still not got it? Okay, how about this? It never did them any harm."

"Oh, wait a minute! Actually, there were a few suicides but it never did most of them any harm."

"Oh, come on - it's a legendary subject for comedy in Britain!"

It did the rest of us harm though: most of them became politicians.