Sarah Kendall's Frayed

I'm biased as Sarah Kendall is one of my favourite comics, but am hugely enjoying this. All episodes available now on demand, I love the relationships between the family, really well written.

It was decent, yeah. I think I preferred it to the Australian Trilogy series, TV's good for adding depth to simple, funny stories.

I'm really liking it a lot. Some very big laughs.

If you haven't seen an episode of Frayed yet, I strongly advise you to do so because it's absolutely and utterly brilliant.

I've just watched episode one and everything about it is great - especially the characters and the dialogue.

The comedy comes entirely from character: there are no jokes crowbarred into the dialogue and yet it's just about the funniest dialogue the average TV viewer is ever going to hear.

It's not easy to write dialogue that's simultaneously natural and funny but Sarah Kendall not only does that, she gives us dialogue that's simultaneously natural and bloody hilarious.

As if that were not enough, the visual humour is also first-class stuff.

For my money, it's the funniest sitcom or comedy-drama (or whatever it is) on TV at present.

In fact, it doesn't have a whole lot of competition from the past, either!

Oh, and did I mention it's got Diane Morgan in it too?

And Kerry Godliman?

"Stop! Stop!" I hear you cry. "I'm going into comedy overload!"

Okay, I'll stop now except to say that if you're a comedy fan, this really is "must-see" TV. Laughing out loud

I've just watched Episode 2 and the quality continues.

Apart from the previously mentioned excellence of the writing, I'm amazed at the quality of the acting in this comedy-drama.

I think it's true to say that a good writer is not necessarily a good actor (and vice versa) but Sarah Kendall as both writer and actor is absolutely top class in both roles.

Noel Coward was one of the best in his day but, in 2019, Sarah Kendall is running him awfully close.

One of the golden rules almost every writer knows is "Show, don't tell" and that rule has never been better put into effect than when Sammy (Sarah Kendall) who is cleaning up a vacant lot with Fiona (Diane Morgan), finds a discarded hypodermic needle and chases her around the lot with it while they both laugh and giggle as though it's the best day ever. The scene is only about five seconds long but it tells you pretty much everything you need to know about these two girls.

In another scene, there's one of the funniest lines and most character-appropriate lines I've ever heard:

Fiona is watching TV when Sammy phones her. Picking up the phone, she tells her, "I'm watching 'Yentl'. It's f**kin' great - it's like 'Tootsie' but not funny."

The line itself is superb and if any actor was born to say it, it's Diane Morgan.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 30th September 2019, 4:13 PM

I've just watched Episode 2 and the quality continues.

Apart from the previously mentioned excellence of the writing, I'm amazed at the quality of the acting in this comedy-drama.

I think it's true to say that a good writer is not necessarily a good actor (and vice versa) but Sarah Kendall as both writer and actor is absolutely top class in both roles.

Noel Coward was one of the best in his day but, in 2019, Sarah Kendall is running him awfully close.

I agree wholeheartedly! I've been going to see Sarah Kendall's live shows for years and she consistently astonished me with how she coalesced proper belly laughs with a knack for storytelling that on several occasions moved me to tears. That she's managed to transfer that so seamlessly to television drama is no surprise and the start I hope of a long line of TV series (and at some point I hope a recording of one of the aforementioned live shows!)

I've been trying not to binge this because I'm enjoying it so much and want it to last! Episode 4 is the best yet, I counted at least 5 proper belly laughs and I love how she gives everybody an arc.

Just seen the first episode, and never wanted it to end. One of the most enjoyable things I've even seen on TV. Bittersweet, sharp as a knife, wickedly funny. I prostrate myself before Sarah Kendall, a comedy genius.

Quote: beaky @ 6th October 2019, 10:21 PM

Just seen the first episode, and never wanted it to end. One of the most enjoyable things I've even seen on TV. Bittersweet, sharp as a knife, wickedly funny. I prostrate myself before Sarah Kendall, a comedy genius.

My thoughts exactly. And first episodes are so notoriously difficult but I was absorbed right from the first scene. I don't want to go too far into hyperbole but it's definitely one of if not the best TV series I've had the pleasure of watching this year.

My favourite character is Jim(Ben Mingay), Sammy's ne'erdowell brother. Petulant, childish, scheming, thick and sexy.

Quote: beaky @ 7th October 2019, 10:16 AM

My favourite character is Jim(Ben Mingay), Sammy's ne'erdowell brother. Petulant, childish, scheming, thick and sexy.

I think Sammy's my favourite character but my favourite scenes are those where she and Jim are being petulant with each other, their relationship is so natural (I'm an only child but I imagine it's pretty true to life about brother and sister). Obviously I won't spoil any of the further episodes but Sammy and the gym teacher have such a great rapport too, not to mention Diane Morgan who comes close to stealing it several times. And I think that's what I love about it, Kendall doesn't give a single character short shrift, everybody is fleshed out.

Finished watching the series today. BRILLIANT.

What. an. ending.

Dying for more. Crawling up the walls already.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th October 2019, 6:31 PM

Finished watching the series today. BRILLIANT.

What. an. ending.

Dying for more. Crawling up the walls already.

Hell yes! I haven't enjoyed a series so much in years, again I don't want to get into the realms of hyperbole but it really is that good! A recommission announcement had better come soon! Also hasn't been mentioned thus far, how bloody great is Kerry Armstrong?! And by the end of the series how Jim was taken from this slob to a loveable loser who cared about the kids was such a brilliant arc.

Wonderful news. Frayed has been recommissioned and will be out next year:

https://www.if.com.au/abc-upfronts-anna-torv-and-sam-reid-to-topline-the-newsreader-more-total-control-frayed/

Series 2 is on demand today! Also being broadcast weekly on Sky Max. I'm trying to stick to one a day, I'd already laughed multiple times in the first five minutes. So far, just as good as the first series.