Newsjack Series 21 - September 2019 Page 7

Quote: Auditchris @ 19th September 2019, 6:16 PM

Gah, another nearly!

Nice work. That's a good result!

Nothing for me.

I got the nearly email too.

Well done all.

It was a nearly for me as well...good luck next week everyone!

Yes good luck

Well done everyone who got any email. :)

Well done to those who got the e-mails. Once again my in-box was empty.

Well done, all you near misses

Good work making the script!
Nowt for me this week.

Strangely, I did make the show but just didn't get an email...

Mine was the Iron Man GWBW.

Quote: Thosisd @ 20th September 2019, 7:49 AM

Congrats! I imagine that was a nice surprise!

This also rather cruelly gives extra hope in future whenever I don't get an email Laughing out loud

Apparently I had this in the script:

It's been a good week for the scientists who won a spoof Nobel prize for their study of French postmen's testicles.
It's also been a good week for satirists who love to make jokes about low-hanging fruit.

Thought it was a decent show this week. Some excellent breaking news oneliners
Good luck for next weeks show

Quote: Thosisd @ 20th September 2019, 7:49 AM

Congrats Thosisd, I do love a good Marvel joke! Just out of curiousity though, was your name read out during the credits at the end? I heard a Breaking News joke that was remarkably similar to mine last night, but received no email and no credit at the end.

I had assumed I was just unlucky that someone had submitted a similar version that they liked more than mine, but now that you've said about making the show and not getting an email, I'm wondering should I email Newsjack and ask was it actually my joke and they just forgot to credit me??

For reference, the two versions of the joke were as follows:

My version - Aldi plan to open a new store every week for the next two years leading to fears that German chains are taking over the supermarket industry Lidl by Lidl.

Version used on the show - Aldi claims it's planning to open the equivalent of a new shop a week. They say they plan to take over the supermarket industry Lidl by Lidl.

Quote: KevDP4L @ 20th September 2019, 11:21 AM

For reference, the two versions of the joke were as follows:

My version - Aldi plan to open a new store every week for the next two years leading to fears that German chains are taking over the supermarket industry Lidl by Lidl.

Version used on the show - Aldi claims it's planning to open the equivalent of a new shop a week. They say they plan to take over the supermarket industry Lidl by Lidl.

Can I be pedantic (the devil is always in the detail)?

It could be argued that your version doesn't work because it mentions German chains - both Aldi and Lidl are German so 'taking over Lidl by Lidl' is a separate thing to Aldi opening a new store every week. The cause and effect is lost.

The version on the show could be interpreted as Aldi taking over branches of Lidl - and therefore works.