Defending The Guilty Page 2

One of the most interesting things about Defending the Guilty is that it upholds the perfectly accurate stereotypical view that barristers are middle-class, rather posh and believe themselves to be infinitely superior not only to their clients but also to everybody else on earth who isn't a barrister or a member of the Royal family.

Believe it or not, barristers are actually trained to believe themselves superior to everybody else.

Another of the most interesting things about the series is that it dispels the entirely inaccurate stereotypical view that barristers are necessarily good at their job.

Believe it or not, some barristers are absolutely shite at their job and, if you ever find yourself in need of a barrister, you would do very well indeed to remember that fact when choosing one.

An anecdote based upon the widespread perception of barristers as pillars of respectability tells of the occasion I was having lunch with a friend of mine who happens to be a barrister in Manchester. He was paying but, when the bill arrived, he had his cheque book in his pocket but no cheque guarantee card because he'd left his wallet in his office.

(A cheque book? You can tell how long ago this incident took place!)

I offered to pay, of course, but he wouldn't hear of it.

The manager was called over to the table and the waitress explained the situation.

My friend explained that he was a barrister from a nearby set of chambers and asked the manager if he would be prepared to accept a cheque without a guarantee card.

Given that he looked pretty much like a barrister and spoke pretty much like a barrister, the manager decided that he probably was a barrister and therefore not the sort of person who goes around issuing dud cheques for not-overly-expensive lunches. Accordingly, the manager said he was happy to accept the cheque.

The establishment at which we were dining was "Henry's Café Bar", the first-ever café bar to open in Manchester and a Mecca for yuppies and celebrities from the mid-1980s until 2007 when it closed.

My friend opened his cheque book and the manager asked him to make the cheque out to "Henry's Café Bar" at which point my friend paused for a moment before asking "How do you spell 'Henry'?"

The manager and the waitress looked at each other for a moment as each immediately began doubting that my friend had in fact ever been to school, much less qualified as a barrister.

Reading their minds, my friend added: "I mean is it the English version or the French?"

The manager smiled happily as he realised that the forthcoming cheque was probably not as bouncy as he'd thought it might be only a couple of seconds earlier.

I think that's a very funny story but perhaps you had to be there? Laughing out loud

Quote: Aaron @ 17th September 2019, 1:15 PM

It is the first series.

It's a BBC Two original. Rood Eye is saying he'll be watching Netflix rather than 'Episode 1', because it is in fact a repeat of the pilot as aired last year.

Incidentally, the series was commissioned in April last year, and the pilot aired without announcement or fanfare. It was never supposed to be broadcast as a pilot, only ever as Series 1 Episode 1.

Addendum: we've just discovered that it is not, in fact, a straight repeat: a few scenes have been re-shot with different supporting cast members.

Quote: Aaron @ 17th September 2019, 2:11 PM

Addendum: we've just discovered that it is not, in fact, a straight repeat: a few scenes have been re-shot with different supporting cast members.

In that case, I'll be in the public gallery watching the revised proceedings at 10 PM tonight.

Well I've just watched Episode 1 and it was OK. By that I mean I enjoyed it and will probably watch the series.

How did this get a series?
The sexist reason? Everyone fancies Katherine Parkinson. That's why none of her shows have ever failed. Er...
The real reason? Because it 's good.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 19th September 2019, 10:22 PM

How did this get a series?
The sexist reason? Everyone fancies Katherine Parkinson. That's why none of her shows have ever failed. Er...
The real reason? Because it 's good.

She's not incredibly fanciable - just OK - but from the first episode it seems it will have legs.

I've just watched Episode 2 and it's very good.

Even viewers with no discernible sense of humour can enjoy its dramatic qualities and those who do have a sense of humour are doubly blessed because there's a lot of comedy in there too.

The chicanery, double-dealing and unmitigated corruption inherent in judges, barristers, solicitors, defendants, witnesses and everybody else involved in the criminal justice system are laid bare in Defending the Guilty.

It would be laughable if it were not so worrying.

No, wait a minute - it's extremely worrying and yet I still laugh at it.

I think you will too! Laughing out loud

Just finished the series and was very satisfied. As Rood Eye had said, along with the comedy, there are dramatic qualities and I found myself caring about the characters. I really wish UK "series" ran for eight to twelve episodes. Not the measly six episodes that are just enough to get a good taste for the show or the drawn out eighteen to twenty network runs we have over here, just something in the sweet spot of an HBO or other "cable" networks. (ie GOT, Preacher, Legion, etc). I found myself wanting more as ep six drew to a close.

I do prefer the British shorter series although 8-10 may be better.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th September 2019, 8:46 PM

I do prefer the British shorter series although 8-10 may be better.

Americans have seasons. Geek

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 1st October 2019, 9:45 AM

Americans have seasons. Geek

I know. Don't you get bored with them?

Managed about six minutes of this before wanting to stick a fork in my head. It's got this horrible faux childish acting style the drivelling script has asked for. Clearly a sign to me the creator has just written this to fit a trend in sitcom and has no real inspiration for his or her own concept.

They've plucked a setting that hasn't been overused and adopted a current acting style plenty of performers are versed in at the mo to fill a vacant sitcom slot, it's that processed looking. No one's read a script that bubbled with promise and got excited about a new winner. Yes I can tell all that in just a few mins.

Just getting around to watching this and enjoying it a lot. Hope it did well enough to earn a second series.