I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,089

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th September 2019, 8:45 PM

It's commonplace Tarby unfortunately. Where are you based? I assume from your name that you are on Merseyside but I could be wrong.

The name is loosely based on the scene from Filthy Rich & Catflap when Richie and Eddie are playing Triv. Richie ventures the answer "Jimmy Tarbuck" to a question from Eddie and when told he's incorrect Richie says "It's Definitely Tarby".

It was in Gloucester city centre but a trip wouldn't be the same without having it ruined by rotters. I'm using a Beano description to keep it light hearted. It was near the entrance to the Cathedral which gets a lot of visitors but thankfully it wasn't busy. Gloucester is surrounded by towns and villages that are serene and a million miles away from the shite in the metropolis.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 19th September 2019, 9:19 PM

The name is loosely based on the scene from Filthy Rich & Catflap when Richie and Eddie are playing Triv. Richie ventures the answer "Jimmy Tarbuck" to a question from Eddie and when told he's incorrect Richie says "It's Definitely Tarby".

It was in Gloucester city centre but a trip wouldn't be the same without having it ruined by rotters. I'm using a Beano description to keep it light hearted. It was near the entrance to the Cathedral which gets a lot of visitors but thankfully it wasn't busy. Gloucester is surrounded by towns and villages that are serene and a million miles away from the shite in the metropolis.

Ah.....very interesting, DT.

I've only been to Gloucester once. Had to attend a meeting with the Council when I didn't know any of the answers. Totally embarrassing. I was made to drive there and back in one day. I was young - but still knackered. I do have aspirations - Laurie Lee's Slad, the Malvern Hills to the north - whether I will ever get to do them properly I don't know. Hope I can.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 18th September 2019, 6:56 PM

Alan Clarke (sniffer) worked as a rep for a fork lift company after Leeds United.
And the day Peter Lorrimer and Norman Hunter walked into my local in Cleckheaton was like a dream.
These Gods ordered two pints of Tetley bitter. I'd watched them kick seven colours of shite out of Osgood at the weekend and now they were in my pub drinking the common man's ale.

So what was so good about that? Was that before or after Chelsea stuffed Leeds in the FA Cup final?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 19th September 2019, 10:10 PM

Ah.....very interesting, DT.

I've only been to Gloucester once. Had to attend a meeting with the Council when I didn't know any of the answers. Totally embarrassing. I was made to drive there and back in one day. I was young - but still knackered. I do have aspirations - Laurie Lee's Slad, the Malvern Hills to the north - whether I will ever get to do them properly I don't know. Hope I can.

I lived on Slad Road in Stroud and my jogging route was past the Woolpack. It was 2.5 miles from my front door to a memorial bench that took me past the Woolpack so I would run to that, have a rest and then run back. I would always slow down approaching the Woolpack in both directions so I had the energy to sprint past and impress everyone sat on the benches outside. Cheating I suppose but five miles is five miles.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th September 2019, 10:44 PM

So what was so good about that? Was that before or after Chelsea stuffed Leeds in the FA Cup final?

Stuffed? 2 -2 :)

Sheffield High School for Girls has introduced an eight-week stand-up comedy course for its sixth formers.

Its stated purpose is to enable girls to fight their corner in the workplace but who knows? It may also give Britain its next Victoria Wood - and God knows we need her, wherever she is!

When it comes to British women comedians, Sarah Millican has been ruling the roost for a good many years. Across the Atlantic, Gina Yashere is doing her bit but she's doing it across the Atlantic!

Jo Brand does very little stand-up these days, and French and Saunders aren't doing much either.

There are a number of "good" British women comedians but stadium-fillers are exceedingly thin on the ground and have been for a very long time. Meanwhile, our funny boys are attracting multitudes to their shows and, in the process, becoming rich and famous beyond most people's wildest dreams.

Maybe Sheffield is about to redress the balance?

You know what they say: Yorkshire born and Yorkshire bred, tell your jokes and knock 'em dead!

They don't say that actually (I just made it up) but nevertheless let's keep our fingers crossed for the girls of Sheffield! Laughing out loud

Sky news issued a big warning before showing a short video of the Canadian prime minister in 'blackface'

WARNING in big capital letters!

It was a fancy dress party and black greasepaint was used. Who were they warning of this upcoming horror?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 19th September 2019, 11:21 PM

I lived on Slad Road in Stroud and my jogging route was past the Woolpack. It was 2.5 miles from my front door to a memorial bench that took me past the Woolpack so I would run to that, have a rest and then run back. I would always slow down approaching the Woolpack in both directions so I had the energy to sprint past and impress everyone sat on the benches outside. Cheating I suppose but five miles is five miles.

I like this a lot - thanks for it Tarby!

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 20th September 2019, 8:01 AM

Stuffed? 2 -2 :)

Have you ignored the replay?

Prince Andrew, anybody? He always had the reputation of being a bit ....

I'm thinking 'sleazy bastard'.

Quote: Briosaid @ 20th September 2019, 11:12 PM

Prince Andrew, anybody? He always had the reputation of being a bit ....

I'm thinking 'sleazy bastard'.

The upper classes, and particularly the aristocracy, are notoriously sleazy bastards.

I'm not particularly fond of Andrew but, when it comes to sexual shenanigans, he's probably no more perverted than the rest of his posh ilk. Laughing out loud

No one would believe her without that photo but that's very compromising. You have to wonder why he allowed it to be taken, they're usually careful with that sort of thing. He can have as many top lawyers as he wants but explaining why he had his arm round her waist given both their connections to the convicted sex trafficker will be interesting. The woman is clearly going for him, and he isn't above the law (although few of us believe that in reality). If he's innocent he should be suing her for defamation.

Sorry - I had a bit of a meltdown at the end of last night and subsequently decided what was here wasn't one of my best posts of all time so I have deleted it. It must have been connected to all of the excitement about becoming a supporter (and in the process discovering I had far less money than I thought I did). But anyhow, several calls later, it's done now.

I've just caught up on the latest allegations against Prince Andrew and it appears he is accused of having consensual sex with a girl who at the time was above the age of consent.

The girl (now a mature woman) says she had been asked by a third party to have sex with Prince Andrew and she consented to do so. Prior to their alleged sexual activity, they'd apparently been to a nightclub and had consumed some alcohol but she makes no claim that she was in any way intoxicated.

She adds that, throughout their encounter, Andrew behaved like a perfect gentleman.

She further adds that the following day, she was paid $15,000 by Jeffrey Epstein for her services to Andrew.

Different observers will, of course, see the situation from different moral perspectives but from a purely legal perspective, Scotland Yard says they have completed their investigations into Andrew's alleged activities during his association with Jeffrey Epstein and can find no evidence of unlawful behaviour on Andrew's part.

What puzzles me is that the woman (as far as I can see) isn't even alleging that Andrew did anything unlawful with her.

Basically, she says the two of them had sex: he says they didn't.

That appears to be the full extent of the story unless, of course, I'm missing something.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 20th September 2019, 11:34 PM

No one would believe her without that photo but that's very compromising. You have to wonder why he allowed it to be taken, they're usually careful with that sort of thing. He can have as many top lawyers as he wants but explaining why he had his arm round her waist given both their connections to the convicted sex trafficker will be interesting. The woman is clearly going for him, and he isn't above the law (although few of us believe that in reality). If he's innocent he should be suing her for defamation.

The photo, so Andrew's defenders claim, is doctored. The fingers are supposedly not as chubby as Andrew's and his arm would have to be extraordinarily long to reach from its starting point, round her body and end up with his hand where it is. They have asked to see the original photo but it has not been forthcoming.