Scarborough Page 2

F**king hell, that was awful.

When Benidorm first came out there was an official ITV Facebook page for it and whoever was maintaining it was really taking it personally and was over the top. Turned out it was Derren himself, I kinda guessed before because the answers and replies could only come from someone with insider knowledge and passion for the work. I thought he was hilarious but ITV made him stop and it quickly became a rote boring page.

Compared with recent shows such as Hold the Sunset. Mum and Fleabag it was at least watchable (although I reserve final judgement on that until the end of the series).

I enjoyed it.
You could see it was a pilot where they have to introduce all the characters somehow.
Catherine Tyldesley is always good value (and I'm cheering her in Strictly)
And Claire Sweeny as the sassy brassy kiss my assy woman was great.

I thought, after all the publicity, this may have been crap before I watched. Then I thought it might be the 'new' Last Of The Summer Wine / Still Open All Hours, something for older people on a Sunday evening. I could see people saying "We only watch it for the views" as they did of Last of the Summer Wine.

Then I watched the first episode, and I was wrong about everything I said above. I thought it was really good. Good jokes - the soup thing being really accurate.

Anyway, I've just watched the second episode and it was dreadful (IMHO). I was expecting self contained episodes I think. I'll watch again next week and see what I think then.

I can't believe he worked the oldest joke into the script. The one about the ice-cream man who died by topping himself.
That is poor lazy writing.
The Scarborough tourist board will be happy though - lots of scenic views.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 17th September 2019, 8:09 AM

I can't believe he worked the oldest joke into the script. The one about the ice-cream man who died by topping himself.
That is poor lazy writing.

Nothing wrong with old jokes - as I discussed with the postman this morning when I opened the door in my pyjamas.

I had to open the door myself as my wife had gone to the West Indies...

How did you know he was there? Did he Knock knock?

Derren Litten has a style of comedy-writing that appeals very much to some while appealing not at all to others.

I'd heard about the ice cream man topping himself several decades ago but there'll be millions of younger viewers who hadn't heard it before and therefore thought it was highly entertaining.

He isn't totally my own cup of tea but it's difficult to criticise somebody who's achieved massive success in a very difficult and competitive industry by entertaining millions and millions of perfectly reasonable people whose taste in comedy is not exactly the same as my own.

In the first episode of Scarborough, he came up with a line that had me laughing out loud for fully 30 seconds - and exceedingly few people have done that during my lifetime, I can assure you.

In a world where nothing is perfect, Derren's comedy writing may not be perfect but it's bloody good! Laughing out loud

My great grandfather died in an ice cream factory accident.

He fell into a vat of Mr Whippy, then, as he tried to climb out, a crate of Flakes dropped on his head.

He was 99.

Quote: Robert Sacamano @ 19th September 2019, 4:46 PM

My great grandfather died in an ice cream factory accident.

He fell into a vat of Mr Whippy, then, as he tried to climb out, a crate of Flakes dropped on his head.

He was 99.

Thrrrrrrrump Tisssssssh I thangyow.............................now you take my wife.............

I kinda like it, but itit'ss slow. From the very first gag with her Mom, it took forever to unfold. the same with most of the dialogue. Geraldine is just cringeworthy. Like someone said earlier (Beaky), it has a soapish feel to it. I didn't catch the show right away, so I was able to see it progress from episode one to three in one sitting. As someone else said (Chappers), and again I agree, It's better than Hold The Sunset. It wasn't til ep four that I decided that I liked the quirks and would enjoy a second series. Unfortunately, it seems that some promising shows don't get a chance from the BBC.

Quote: Robert Sacamano @ 19th September 2019, 4:46 PM

He fell into a vat of Mr Whippy..

Too bad he was too old to take advantage of the situation.

I watched the first two episodes but feel no desperate necessity to watch it again.

I don't like to be rude but by heck there's some ugly lasses in it.