The general pop/rock - music thread Page 191

This is an unusual music video as it's macabra but funny.

7 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE POSH SPICE
1. She is married to David Beckham.
2. She is wed to David Beckham.
3. She married David Beckham once.
4. Her husband is David Beckham.
5. Her spouse is David Beckham.
6. She is the wife of David Beckham.
7. That is the end of my 7 interesting facts about The Posh Spice. I hope you have enjoyed them.

Apparently Global Radio (whoever they are) have banned Melting Pot by Blue Mink because somebody complained that it was racist.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th August 2019, 8:47 PM

Apparently Global Radio (whoever they are) have banned Melting Pot by Blue Mink because somebody complained that it was racist.

I think it's the brilliant and hugely popular Gold Radio that's been forbidden to play the track by its parent company, Global.

There have been complaints about the way various races are described in the song: a number of listeners are offended by 'Red Indian boy', 'yellow Chinkees' and 'curly black and kinky' - an expression subsequently changed to 'curly Latin kinkies' in some recordings by other artists, notably Culture Club, although Boyzone retain the original expression while ditching the other two completely.

Interestingly enough, I had a drink with Madeline Bell at a club in Manchester in 1976/7.

Nice girl! Cool

But the whole idea of the song was ANTI-Racist.

They were a multi-racial group.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th August 2019, 9:20 PM

But the whole idea of the song was ANTI-Racist.

You know your problem, Chappers? You're intelligent.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are not.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th August 2019, 9:32 PM

You know your problem, Chappers? You're intelligent.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are not.

Now I know I can never take anything you say seriously.

I've been listening to a lot of Yazoo recently. It's a shame they only made two albums.

Quote: Ben @ 27th August 2019, 10:11 PM

I've been listening to a lot of Yazoo recently. It's a shame they only made two albums.

Alf went her own way. Incidentally just bought her first LP on vinyl from a charity shop last week.

Quote: Chappers @ 27th August 2019, 8:47 PM

I only really know the track because Alan Partridge works out to it in his underpants.

For sale: EXTREMELY rare copy of Joy Division's 'Unknown Pleasures', unsigned by Peter Hook.
Latest Spicepage fanquote: 'At first I thougt it was Geri, but then I ascertained it was Mel C...' Easy mistake to make, similarity's uncanny. I assumed they were identical twins - same hair, face, physique, even accent. It's taken me 23 years of hardcore fandom to tell them apart.

Great show last night. The lovely Sonja still has it, Thijs van Leer really is a mad genius and as for Wilko and Norman Wat Roy (and Dylan Howe) what more can you say.

Then climaxed with the brilliant Geno. Looks like he's struggling physically but his voice is incredible.

One of his anecdotes. "I was in this bar with this big roast chicken when the Ku Klux Klan came in. They said whatever you do to that chicken we'll do to you. So I picked it up and kissed it's ass."

I've been using software called OBS Studio which records whatever is displayed on the desktop and I've just realised it records EVERYTHING including any video that may be streaming at the time. In other words it's effing perfect for capturing online material. I've just tested it with this music video recorded in a .MOV format and can replay it in the kitchen. It can be tricky to set up so if anyone tries it and needs help let me know.

I can't help feeling she's lost the pathos of the Joy Division original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPcAeydoUT4

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 13th September 2019, 12:49 PM

I can't help feeling she's lost the pathos of the Joy Division original. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPcAeydoUT4

Yep completely

Whereas Joy Divisions cover of "Doin the doo" was tremendous