The Rob Rinder Verdict

Barrister (and I think natural comedian) Robert Rinder hosts a new show in which stand-up comedians, other comedy-related people, various celebrities and a number of politicians will join him to discuss an assortment of topics.

I've just watched the first episode in which he was joined by Jonathan Ross, Tom Allen and Judi Love.

All in all, it was decent enough entertainment but it was obvious that Rob's contribution was almost entirely scripted and, as a result, appeared rather stilted - and that's a departure from his usual performances on Judge Rinder where his wit and repartee appear to flow naturally.

Many viewers will have been horrified (and some delighted) by Judi Love's comedic swipe at the Duchess of Sussex - pointing out that, in the event of her being caught in a sudden rainstorm, her long straight hair will become an Afro in two seconds flat.

Is she allowed to say that?

Apparently, she is! Laughing out loud

The Rob Rinder Verdict commenced on Friday 30th August at 10pm and runs for four episodes on Channel 4.

Episode two last night was even better than the first episode, with Rob now talking to camera in a perfectly natural way with little or no sign of being scripted.

His guests - Jason Manford, Lorraine Kelly and Jeremy Paxman - were all first class: Lorraine, for my money, is one of the most attractive women on TV as well as being one of its most charming and skilful presenters. She is also very funny indeed.

Non-stop entertainment!

In Rob Rinder, the law's loss has certainly been TV viewers' gain.

Certainly an improvement on Episode 1. Perhaps in hindsight it could have done with a longer run of shorter programmes, giving it more time to develop and settle as the series progresses and they find the stronger elements of the format and discard/rein-in the weaker.