Monty Python's 50th anniversary

So, a lot going on..........................

Monty Python's Flying Circus will mark its 50th anniversary on 5th October 2019
A season of BFI screenings will be held throughout September, with BBC Two and Radio 4 following suit
New and re-released products include the group's hit books and a Blu-ray restoration of the original TV show

BUT, I bet they don't show the video version of "Monty Python Live at Drury Lane"

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5392/monty_python_50th_anniversary/

Some very interesting goings-on, I think. I'll be interested to see the results of the new Flying Circus HD remaster/restoration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00081v8

Some documentaries on BBC2 tonight from 9pm. I never get bored of the team talking about Monty Python or better yet talking about each other. Plenty of ribbing.

I so desperately wish the BBC had used to opportunity to re-show the "Live at Drury Lane". Apparently, Michael Palin has no recollection of it, but they did do it as the many audio versions will verify, and I clearly remember seeing it on TV in the late 1970s.

It's in some archive.....................if only someone would dig it out. :(

Are you sure you're not getting confused with The Secret Policeman's Ball? They re-enacted many sketches in those. It's possible that segments were also filmed for separate broadcast in other programmes - but there's never been anything, on any channel, of Live At Drury Lane as a programme in and of itself.

Quote: Aaron @ 8th September 2019, 6:36 PM

Are you sure you're not getting confused with The Secret Policeman's Ball? They re-enacted many sketches in those. It's possible that segments were also filmed for separate broadcast in other programmes - but there's never been anything, on any channel, of Live At Drury Lane as a programme in and of itself.

:D This is the second conservation we have had about this and you're making me doubt myself now! I have the audio cassette and am convinced (now maybe :( ) that what I hear is what I have in my mind's eye.

It's your "but there's never been anything, on any channel, of Live At Drury Lane as a programme in and of itself" that's now casting doubt as you clearly are sure "Live at Drury Lane" has never been on TV. Why are you so sure? I am not questioning you, just wondering if you can finally knock this on the head for me and I start looking at "The SPB" shows.

You do have a sort of ally in this as I managed to get in contact with Michael Palin's office and a very helpful chap there called Paul asked Michael who said he had no recollection of doing the show:-
"I asked Michael about this when you first wrote - he doesn't recall it, I also looked in Michael's Diaries and could find no mention of the event.", which seems odd considering the many audio recordings that are available......................... https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=monty+python+live+at+drury+lane&i=popular&crid=1YHUYT5EMVJOQ&sprefix=monty+python+live%2Caps%2C177&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_17

Yes, there's no doubt they ran a show there and recorded that famous live album - but something for TV? I've checked broadcaster and independent databases and can't find any hint of such a thing, as I say, existing as a programme in its own right.

I'm fact more than that, I can't find anything with the phrase "Drury Lane" in the title, live or Python or not!

Thanks Aaron.

Oh well, it's a long trawl for me through all the The Secret Policeman's Ball progs. then from the late 70s. Do you know of or have access to what was on those (?) that I see were on C4 and ITV, and not on the Beeb as I thought.

The first, from 1976, would have been my best guess. Wikipedia seems to have lists of all the shows, how/if they were broadcast, and what they contained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Poke_in_the_Eye_(With_a_Sharp_Stick)

Quote: Aaron @ 9th September 2019, 11:07 AM

The first, from 1976, would have been my best guess. Wikipedia seems to have lists of all the shows, how/if they were broadcast, and what they contained.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Poke_in_the_Eye_(With_a_Sharp_Stick)

Yes, thank you Aaron - read right through that article and the three 1970s ones are on YouTube, and sad to say none of them are what I saw.

Despite the "evidence" I am now 100% convinced that "Live at Drury Lane" was filmed and that I did actually see it on TV, and by the way, I forgot to mention someone on Twitter remembers it too because they asked, (nay pleaded) that I let them know when and if I found out anything.

The only thing I would say is that I can only remember the cocktail bar sketch, which is identical to the one on the audio version, AND on reflection it might not have been the BBC.

ONE DAY (maybe when I am long gone :( ) it will turn up and you can say "He was right you know!"

Yes I think Aaron is right. Live at Drury Lane was a record/album/cassette.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th September 2019, 11:25 PM

Yes I think Aaron is right. Live at Drury Lane was a record/album/cassette.

Yes, I have had the cassette since the mid 70s, BUT I KNOW I saw this on TV, late in that same decade - as far as I can make out everything the Pythons did is available on DVD, BUT THIS. :(

Very good reason for that, Herc. ;-)

You wait, one day it will surface. ;)