Ghosts - Series 1 Page 17

Quote: gb901 @ 28th May 2019, 11:45 PM

Christ, if true then the bar's not been set very high!

Well you try and set up a situation and write a better script.

Well I enjoyed it. I look forward to series 2.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th May 2019, 11:27 PM

Well you try and set up a situation and write a better script.

I suspect there are many such "better" scripts, but the writers of them are not 'in'.

Quote: garyd @ 28th May 2019, 12:58 AM

I think I seriously need to consider whether there's any point in me continuing to pursue a career in comedy writing. I seem totally devoid of any idea as to what is required these days, though obviously my talent is unquestionable!Cool

I felt exactly like this and gave up a few years ago. I now write for my own enjoyment, and to be honest I'm having more fun than when I was trying to write for submission. At the end of the day though garyd, do not give up if you really want to be a sitcom writer.

Back on topic...

On the subject of GHOSTS, I watched every episode and found it to be watchable but nothing memorable. On the positive side it had a kind of warm endearing feel to it. On the downside I didn't find it funny at all and felt it was more like a light hearted drama than a sitcom. Comedy wise, I thought a lot of jokes were telegraphed making it obvious what would happen and so the pay off simply wasn't funny. Character wise I liked the Captain and Mary but the rest didn't make an impact on me. I found a few character just too annoying, and this included Charlotte Ritchie. Overall I didn't dislike it but I wouldn't rate it that high either.

Quote: Deferenz @ 30th May 2019, 6:03 PM

I felt exactly like this and gave up a few years ago. I now write for my own enjoyment, and to be honest I'm having more fun than when I was trying to write for submission. At the end of the day though garyd, do not give up if you really want to be a sitcom writer.

Def, that's a pity for your ambition but good for your peace of mind, I'm sure.
As much as I feel I have a decent sitcom in me I think it likely another genre may be the way forward.

On the subject of GHOSTS, I watched every episode and found it to be watchable but nothing memorable. On the positive side it had a kind of warm endearing feel to it. On the downside I didn't find it funny at all and felt it was more like a light hearted drama than a sitcom. Comedy wise, I thought a lot of jokes were telegraphed making it obvious what would happen and so the pay off simply wasn't funny. Character wise I liked the Captain and Mary but the rest didn't make an impact on me. I found a few character just too annoying, and this included Charlotte Ritchie. Overall I didn't dislike it but I wouldn't rate it that high either.

Yep, that's a very apt summary.

I thought a lot of jokes were telegraphed making it obvious what would happen and so the pay off simply wasn't funny.

This is a key difference between many (aspiring) writers, and viewers. The former's analytical thinking of comedy constructs leads to such. The latter just watch and enjoy; and when they do predict a joke, it only adds to their enjoyment.

Or could it be that aspiring writers recognise poor writing, weak comedy, fluffy characters?

If all viewers found everything as equally funny as you seem to now, there'd be no hierarchy in sitcoms, no recognition of classics, no established top 10s, 20s, 50s, as established as they can be obviously, with different tastes and ages.

My view is if a sitcom is lucky enough to get broadcast on a mainstream channel then it runs the gauntlet of reviews on forums where some will be more nuanced, more knowledgeable, more concerned about the quality of sitcoms coming out compared to the best and worst. By getting in that highly desired list of TV sitcoms you give licence to everyone from casual viewers to press critics to BAFTA to judge your creation and give their comments.

A show can obviously be pleasant viewing to many while being middling unfunny nonsense to some who want a bit more from a mainstream BBC sitcom, as Ghosts proves. imoo.

Quote: garyd @ 30th May 2019, 11:24 PM

Def, that's a pity for your ambition but good for your peace of mind, I'm sure. As much as I feel I have a decent sitcom in me I think it likely another genre may be the way forward.

Thanks garyd. For me personally it was the right thing to do. I used to love writing stuff for the pure joy of doing it, but when it turned to trying to get the work out there things changed. It became less about the fun and more about product and market and politics. For me this took away the joy of doing it.

My old writing partner turned his back on sitcom and went the drama writing route. I think he felt pretty much the same way you do. I don't know what the answer is to be honest. If you really want to make it then keep going and don't let any of the things you hear about put you off. Of course that is easier said than done in todays society!

Quote: Aaron @ 1st June 2019, 2:32 PM

This is a key difference between many (aspiring) writers, and viewers. The former's analytical thinking of comedy constructs leads to such.

I would agree with this particular point to an extent. Certainly as an 'aspiring' writer you try to learn the nuts and bolts of the craft. This can sometimes have an effect when you watch comedy as you start to see how it has been put together and you can find yourself analysing it from a writers view point rather than that as a viewer. Of course this does not mean that you cannot still enjoy watching comedy for purely enjoyment purposes.

The latter just watch and enjoy; and when they do predict a joke, it only adds to their enjoyment.

I do not fully agree with this and I think this is a bit of a sweeping statement. I feel the joy of a joke comes down to the individual and their particular tastes and requirements of what is funny for them. I think some people like the joke to build, they see the punch line coming and wait in anticipation for it to happen. To them the joke works and is very funny. Other people do not like this as soon as they see the initial set up then the joke is over. Again it comes down to the individual on what they find funny. You do not have to be an 'aspiring' writer to be in a particular camp over what you deem funny or not.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd June 2019, 6:39 PM

Or could it be that aspiring writers recognise poor writing, weak comedy, fluffy characters?

I think there is some truth in this.

I thought a lot of jokes were telegraphed

Agreed. It's as if its aimed at parents that used to watch Horrible Histories with their kids.

"The BBC Press Office... noting its popularity with 16-34 year old viewers" - confirming it's basically a kids show akin to horrible histories!

Quote: gb901 @ 28th July 2019, 4:16 PM

"The BBC Press Office... noting its popularity with 16-34 year old viewers" - confirming it's basically a kids show akin to horrible histories!

18 to 34 year olds aren't kids.

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 28th April 2019, 3:24 PM

It's not often these days you can sit down and watch a comedy with your kids and I can with this. It's harmless fun.

I couldn't agree more.

They've only recently stopped showing Family Sitcoms in the evenings, something that has been ever present on TV until lately. Ghosts is a novel way of filling that gap, airing a Cbeebies show after the watershed to get parents to watch it with their kids. Having seen it I'd rather they go back to My Family.

According to Laurence Rickard on Twitter, this has been recommissioned not just for a second, but a third series as well! Fair enough some people liked it, in fact looking over my posts it seems I found it funny on first viewing, however I rewatched the first two episodes recently and I didn't find it funny at all, aside perhaps from Charlotte Ritchie and Simon Farnaby.