Hold The Sunset - Series 2 Page 2

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th August 2019, 10:22 AM

It's not their fault but the script. Steadman and Cleese don't need to prove their comedy acting credentials. Not sure about Watkins, the only thing I can remember seeing him in was Trollied, an incredibly unfunny 'sitcom'. All actors like to work and casting directors like to cast the best actors so in times when the sitcoms are poor (Can there be a worse decade for sitcoms than the teenies? No!) then they inevitably star in sub standard shows. :(

One upside of the ratings success of HTS and the recent crop of senior citizen sitcoms is you get to see the odd very good actor who you haven't seen for a while. This latest one has Peter Egan and I think he's the best thing in it, of what I've seen, although it is a minor straight role. Hmm is there an under used sitcom actor thread brewing? ...

Hasn't Peter Egan been in every episode?

Yes I think he has that's why I said/wrote 'this latest senior citizen themed sitcom'. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th August 2019, 9:06 PM

Yes I think he has that's why I said/wrote 'this latest senior citizen themed sitcom'. :)

I thought you meant the latest episode.

I now only watch for the sense of schadenfreude: just to see how truly awful it gets - I'm not disappointed!

I've missed most of this series but am watching it now as I've got nothing to do between TV programmes.

She's a good actress but is Anne Reid the only actress playing old women on TV these days? She was in Hold the Sunset, Years and Years, Sanditon, Last Tango in Halifax, plus some other things in production.

Surely there won't be a turd series?

So, are we left to believe Egan's character (originally annoying next door neighbour with large dog who eventually inexplicably buys the house and becomes best man at wedding!) ends in a relationship with the daughter - If so, where on earth was the development?

From the end credits it was obviously filmed last year - shame it ever saw the light of day, frankly!

A bit of a waste of (TV) space if you ask me. Nothing to write home about -but who does these days?

DO NOT watch it and am at a complete loss to understand why it got a second series after the debacle that was the first.

I endured ten minutes of this tonight and had to turn it off. What the f**k was that idiot doing with a crocodile puppet? Dreadful.

He's had it all this series. Why? Is a good question, my own view is the writer needed a visual crux for this character to show just what an idiot he is. The problem with it is it has made him so irritating it's painful to watch. >_< This sitcom is like a rudderless boat lost at sea. Every episode it seems to drift further and further to oblivion.

Quote: gb901 @ 6th September 2019, 9:57 PM

Surely there won't be a turd series?

So, are we left to believe Egan's character (originally annoying next door neighbour with large dog who eventually inexplicably buys the house and becomes best man at wedding!) ends in a relationship with the daughter - If so, where on earth was the development?

No, we are left to believe it's a total mess, created with no conviction and no definitive plan.

Absolute classic.I totally wet my pants at that penguin hand puppet.John cleese should burn the master tapes of FAWLTY TOWERS being that HOLD THE SUNSET is the new blueprint in sitcoms.I really hope it does run for endless more series.

Sadly, if you manage to get that cast attached you could literally get any old shit through.
And they did.