The Green Man (1956)

Just been on TPTV (have as a DVD too) and qualifies here as a comedy film - AND HOW!

What can I say? Alastair Sim, utterly and simply superb.

With a host of wonderful actors of the day - Terry-Thomas and George Cole as the front runners, along with the wonderfully dotty Dora Bryan, Raymond Huntley, Richard Wattis, Mr. Grainger ( Arthur Brough from Are You Being Served?), Arthur Lowe as Radio Shop Owner, Peter Bull, Willoughby Goddard, Michael Ripper (another "Sam Kydd" type) and an uncredited Terence Alexander in a very minor part.

Now I'm going to be terribly picky here but there is just one tiny, tiny flaw in the plot for me and that is that the gorgeous Jill Adams (whose house it is that is next door and is "borrowed" by Alastair's henchman/bomb maker for ...............well, spoiler alert just in case somebody hasn't seen it yet...................) puts up a hell of a lot from the potty George Cole's vacuum cleaner salesman TWICE and any sane person would have dialled 999 the first time, instead of THEN going off with him to "solve" the case.

Just sayin'

Otherwise, VERY FUNNY all the way through and if you haven't seen it, then you must!

Windy Ridge and Appleby.
I can still remember those names.
Brilliant film.

Quote: john tregorran @ 6th September 2019, 9:04 PM

Windy Ridge and Appleby.
I can still remember those names.
Brilliant film.

7 and 9 Oatlands Avenue, Weybridge, Surrey, and they look exactly the same from what I can see past the now much higher front garden hedges.

I wonder many people they've caught staring into their gardens?
There is a YouTube video of a bloke getting very excited by the discovery of the location of Buggleskelly. Not much there, of course.

A brilliant film that has stood the test of time, and probably my favourite Sim.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th September 2019, 10:34 AM

A brilliant film that has stood the test of time, and probably my favourite Sim.

If we're talking facial expressions, then this one hands down, otherwise I love anything he is in. The man was a comic acting genius as far as I am concerned. Taught George Cole all he knew as well when he took him under his wing.

Great dark comedy farce which reminds me of KHAC for the serial murder line, gleefully played by Sim. Good script as well, Cole particularly good. Funniest thing for me was when her stuffy husband lost it announcing on the radio. It was a sort of send up of how dull and staid English life was in the 50s.