Scarborough

Did anyone else give this a go? I can't say I was very impressed. It just sort of unfolded, a series of scenes with very little plot. I counted two gags that got a smile. Despite being a half hour sitcom slot it struck me as a very light drama. But the question of whether it's hooked me to watch next week? Sadly not.

One of those modern comedy dramas. Not an out and out sitcom.

Not many laughs, didn't grabbed me. Impressed that Jason Manson can sing and act (for a stand up).

I didn't like it at first, then it grew on me. Very soapish - more like Coronation Street than a conventional sitcom, the idea is obviously to reel the viewers in with the various story arcs. Some very good characters, I loved the two fat girls, and Jason Manford is great. I think it'll be a hit, I'll definitely carry on watching.

Not saying I didn't like it. There were some funny bits. Maybe it's a grower.

A few of the jokes were a bit signaled, but that's probably me watching it as a writer.

Maybe but better than Hold the Sunset.

I think it's very good and I'll be surprised if it isn't a big hit.

Great characters, great cast, and a funny script - you can't ask much more than that.

The first episode of a new sitcom (is that really what it is?) is often a bit hit and miss but this first episode had several big hits and, as far as I could see, no misses. I think the foundations have been laid for what might be Derren Litten's finest work.

It has tons of potential and, even at this early stage, I prefer it to Benidorm.

See you at the BAFTAs, Derren?

Derren Litten shows himself to be a classy guy....

https://twitter.com/DerrenLitten/status/1170138970086400000

Talk about thin-skinned!

Quote: beaky @ 7th September 2019, 2:38 PM

Talk about thin-skinned!

I know! I liked Benidorm well enough for the first few series, but I noticed a lot of the jokes were punching down.

https://twitter.com/DerrenLitten/status/1170113450426675206?s=19

If he doesn't like critics then fine, there's no need for the vile classism though.

Oof. The review was... silly (seemed to be taking lines as some sort of author insert, or the writer's views, put in the mouth of a character shown to not really being liked by the town anyway), but lashing out at reviewers isn't the best move.

I liked it enough, feels like it's setting the characters up and that rest of the run will be solid/better and hopefully funnier. Manford even tweeted about it setting up an ensemble cast. And I felt it introduced them well, so I hope it gets better. I didn't actually laugh, though did find a few lines amusing. Particularly the workmate asking if it's "disrespectful to change the toilet seat" after the old lady died there. And "I've just been given the Phil Collins back catalogue" "My condolences".

Definitely has that comedy-drama (even, as others have said, a bit soap-like) lean a bunch of other modern comedy has. I'd still call it a sitcom of course.

As Rood Eye put it above, the foundations have been laid and it has tons of potential. A good writer and a talented cast here, so I predict a quality series by the end. I hope!

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 7th September 2019, 12:42 PM

Derren Litten shows himself to be a classy guy....

https://twitter.com/DerrenLitten/status/1170138970086400000

Well I'm not (wasting any more time by going onto yet another social media by going) on Twitter. So I've got no idea what this is all about.

Jesus.
Just watched 4 minutes of it.
I first heard the "had to throw half of it away gag" when I was a kid.
Sub-Victoria Wood/Roy Clarke ramblings and a stolen joke.
Desperate.