Things that piss you off Page 1,769

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 5th September 2019, 11:38 PM

It's not a case of the scanners may be dirty because as I point out, twice, the scanners are dirty. I take exception to your skip reading and am going to have a massive wobbly as a result. Not sure what a wobbly is but I'm having one and a massive one to boot.

I did read what you said and as you said scanners ARE dirty go to a bloody personned checkout

Quote: Chappers @ 6th September 2019, 8:53 PM

I did read what you said and as you said scanners ARE dirty go to a bloody personned checkout

:D

The problem with that plan is that the personned checkouts are always busy with at least one trolly full waiting so if I have just a few items that will take far longer than finding another checkout. I'll carry a bit of tissue so I can clean the scanners screen myself next time.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 6th September 2019, 9:09 PM

:D

The problem with that plan is that the personned checkouts are always busy with at least one trolly full waiting so if I have just a few items that will take far longer than finding another checkout. I'll carry a bit of tissue so I can clean the scanners screen myself next time.

You should take one of their cleaning sprays off the shelf, use it to spray the screen and leave it for the next customer.

Quote: Chappers @ 6th September 2019, 9:33 PM

You should take one of their cleaning sprays off the shelf, use it to spray the screen and leave it for the next customer.

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

What's the probkem with a queue? I'm always fascinated to look at other folk's trolleys to see what they're buying. Then you look at the person and they don't look like the person who'd buy that stuff - or they do. All human little is there.

Quote: Briosaid @ 6th September 2019, 11:46 PM

Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud

What's the probkem with a queue?.

Yeah, I don't mind a queue. It gives you a chance to just do nothing but stand and watch the world (albeit a slightly duff bit of supermarket world).

People who quote Alan Partridge. It's not a-haaaaaaaaaaard thing to do.

I hate people who repeat themselves. - Hear hear.

A great many tabloid reporters and editors are intelligent and literate people.

Why then should there be so much use of the adjective "vile" to describe people and actions that aren't politically correct?

Oh, wait a minute! Could it be that many readers of such newspapers struggle to understand words with more than one syllable?

I think I've answered my own question.

As you were, everybody! Laughing out loud

Literate only means they write letters (or more likely these days, emails). Doesn't mean they've read Shakespeare.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 20th September 2019, 1:57 PM

Oh, wait a minute! Could it be that many readers of such newspapers struggle to understand words with more than one syllable?

I wouldn't diss tabloid readers too much as statistically they are more likely to share you obsession with political correctness and are forever muttering things like "You can't say anything now!" or "It's political correctness gone mad!". Tabloids are by there very nature populist and being non-PC is usually (nowadays) the default position of the populist.

Quote: chipolata @ 21st September 2019, 10:24 AM

I wouldn't diss tabloid readers too much as statistically they are more likely to share you obsession with political correctness and are forever muttering things like "You can't say anything now!" or "It's political correctness gone mad!". Tabloids are by there very nature populist and being non-PC is usually (nowadays) the default position of the populist.

I see your point, Chip.

I would, however, point out that my remarks described "many" tabloid readers rather than all tabloid readers or even tabloid readers in general.

Clearly, as well as the many tabloid readers referred to in my earlier post, there are a great many other tabloid readers whose standards of literacy and attitudes to 21st-century British society are thoroughly commendable.

If any such tabloid readers read my earlier post and imagined, even for a single moment, that I was deriding their education or their entirely reasonable (and in many cases absolutely correct) opinions, I hereby apologise most humbly and I promise to make every effort to express myself more clearly in future.

People that insist on being ignorant, just so they can keep applying their life long prejudice (e.g. The American PM). And then those that make silly mistakes which they later correct, end up getting more stick (e.g. the Canadian PM). Bonkers.

Reading Celia Johnson's biog. by her daughter at the moment and a lot of it at the mo' is letters between her and her husband during WWII - she relates how in 1943 she'd been offered a film role for £2,000 and was shocked with the amount with her conscience wondering if she should take it when men were fighting and dying for two shillings a day.

NOW, to get some perspective on this, that equates to about £90,000 in today's money, which is peanuts compared to some of the obscene fees today's "mega-stars" receive.

Conclusion :-
More proof that the world has gone f**king mad.

You're having a rerr terr ranting, today Herc. That's what I like to see. :D

Thank you Brio. I'm like a volcano that gets to the point of no return. Cool