The hardest path Page 2

Write another one.
It's all you can do.

Also, can I say I don't think any writing is ever wasted. Hang on to everything because you never know when a sentence or a small event comes back to your mind and you realuse it will fit right in to your latest thing.

Quote: Briosaid @ 3rd September 2019, 1:20 PM

Also, can I say I don't think any writing is ever wasted. Hang on to everything because you never know when a sentence or a small event comes back to your mind and you realuse it will fit right in to your latest thing.

Wise words.

That's sound advice as always Lazzard and I will follow it.
But first I intend to push this one as well as it's some f the best stuff I have ever written as it reflects a world I know and its funny it really is.

The problem is that the producer couldn't relate to the overall theme. Sadly for me life is not as dramatic as people want it to be, so in order to maintain realism I went for low concept realistic stories.
I should have done people in pot farms and robbing cars with no gloves on . Or gypsy bare knuckle boxing and sex dungeons and card schools which is apparently rife , sadly I have never seen any of them.
There use to be card schools in the 80's but the internet took that and I have never seen a Gypsy grafting outside of their own firm.
It would appear that Snatch & Lockstock and the late stages of Shameless and the Commitments are now the boundaries for working class scripts.

Thanks Brio I keep all my scripts , I've got more f**king pilots than Ryan Air :(

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 3rd September 2019, 1:30 PM

........................................... I've got more f**king pilots than Ryan Air :(

:D

:) That sounds like the first line of a potential sit com if ever I heard one.

I've got faith in you, Teddy - you know that. You're a really talented writer and you'll break through eventually. I love the two sitcoms I've read of yours.

Thanks Beaky

Praise indeed.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 3rd September 2019, 1:30 PM

That's sound advice as always Lazzard and I will follow it.
But first I intend to push this one as well as it's some f the best stuff I have ever written as it reflects a world I know and its funny it really is.

The problem is that the producer couldn't relate to the overall theme. Sadly for me life is not as dramatic as people want it to be, so in order to maintain realism I went for low concept realistic stories.
I should have done people in pot farms and robbing cars with no gloves on . Or gypsy bare knuckle boxing and sex dungeons and card schools which is apparently rife , sadly I have never seen any of them.

(

I'm probably alone, but the sex dungeon sitcom sounds quite interesting. Whistling nnocently

Quote: chipolata @ 4th September 2019, 9:41 AM

I'm probably alone, but the sex dungeon sitcom sounds quite interesting. Whistling nnocently

I'll second that.

I'm sure it does but when was the last time you actually saw one in real life?. Actually don't answer that :P

Sorry to hear this Teddy.

But how does this work? They liked something you'd written so asked for a series? Then didn't like what they'd asked you to produce? I can understand that to some extent but hopefully you're known now. And I guess there's no money involved?

To be fair they were very nice to me, I submitted one of my mad scripts to start with and they said they liked it and could see that I could write but they would prefer it if I 'Wrote what I know'.

So they asked me to write in a working class genre which I did and I thought it was on the money and I still do . I would say one episode was one of the best things I have ever written.

As I submitted drafts I was given pointers regarding giving certain characters more 'Agency' etc and other changes which I did and I wrote 5 episode to show it had legs and that I wasn't a one trick pony. I was also given the remit to think 8- 9ish BBC1 BBC2 so I had to watch the language and the subject matter and for me I did it and more, but again its subjective.

So in the end it didn't hit the switch of the producer, I didn't keep them interested enough and they sensed it needed more work/ time than they had to spare so I was dropped.

I got some good advice and pointers but they concluded after a year that my sitcom required more than small structural tweaks, the problem for them was more 'Thematic and Tonal.'

It's not really anyone's fault the BBC are looking for more 'Inclusion' and 'Agency' for their characters than I could supply without me diluting the actual comedy or the realism.

For me writing a working class comedy is about magnifying small things rather than high concept ones like bank jobs. drug dealing sex etc. I believe that the small things are what happen in the main in most lives and people can relate to it from Dundee to Dover but if you start off over the top you end up becoming ridiculous fast!

So I suspect what finished my chances off was that I thought what I was writing was on the money and they thought it lacked what they wanted.

It happens, I'm not the first and I won't be the last . I think my initial post was to express my devastation at what happened as it really bowled me over .

We parted amicably and I am free to approach other producers with the BBC with it. Personally I love what I have written and I think its as good as anything I have ever written , its real its warm its funny but sadly now it may never see the light of day :(

Pretty bad form to be asked to write finished scripts for no payment.
Unsolicited material - yes. Outlines and treatments - possibly.
Once they're asking for episodes, things need to get contractual or it's just taking the piss.
A lack of financial commitment usually echos a lack of commitment in general and should be taken as a bad sign, rather than an encouraging one.
As you say - you 'passed' the writing test - you don't have to prove that.
Any further dealings with them should be on a more professional level.
Come at them with ideas, move them to outlines/treatments.
If they like stuff, ask them to get their wallets out.
They have a budget for this - it's their job - if they're not willing to break into it, they're not serious and they're wasting your time.
Plus you're promoting the "writers will work for nothing" ethos which doesn't do any of us any favours.
My advice is to put your current scripts in a drawer and don't look at then for a year.
Either that or get them to other channels/commissioners.
Either way, move on.
Write more stuff.