Hancock's Half Hour Page 14

Trying to remember Kenneth's Diaries, which I read many years ago. I'm sure he wrote of Harry's stint in glowing terms implying that he was more professional, etc..... Of course he might have been miffed about Tony's absence.

On Sunday 17 April 1955 he wrote:

"He played Tony's lines without any attempt to impersonate, just taking them as he came to them like a thoroughbred horse taking jumps - confidently & with style. He kept the pace of the show bubbling with laughs and the success of the show was largely due to him."

Then, on Tuesday 2 September 1975 he wrote:

"Lunch with George. Harry Secombe came over to the table and was v kind to me... ... he is a dear man - I've liked Harry without reservation since I worked with him at the Camden when he took over from Hancock and was so brilliant! Goodness, what a lift he gave to that series! And how much better he was than the absentee."

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 2nd September 2019, 10:42 PM

...............since I worked with him at the Camden when he took over from Hancock and was so brilliant! Goodness, what a lift he gave to that series! And how much better he was than the absentee."

Oh dear! Angry

Thanks for that Billy. A postal order is on its way.

I am seeking any info about the episode where Bill Kerr keeps asking "When are we going out?"

On one reply TH complains about driving to the South Coast, stuck in traffic within a £1000 box of luxury....

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Baz

Nothing immediately springs to mind, and am not sure what the "within a £1000 box of luxury...." is/means? Box of what? Have you any further thoughts/ideas?

That's a tough one.
I can hear him saying it and "I'm bored"
Tony replying "you've got your ball, haven't you?"
But of course I'm probably wrong and I can't recall the episode title anyway.
No help at all then.

Quote: Baz Wits @ 7th September 2019, 6:14 PM

I am seeking any info about the episode where Bill Kerr keeps asking "When are we going out?"

On one reply TH complains about driving to the South Coast, stuck in traffic within a £1000 box of luxury....

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Baz

Erm, just a wild guess but would it be a car of somesort? Huh?

Doh! >_< Yes, that suddenly occurred to me too at 3 o'clock this morning when my sleeping brain was clearly still working on it. Dunno WHY I didn't see what it was before. Of course the "box" being a car, but £1000? Was that ironic? And as far as I can remember he only had the pile of junk stuck outside No. 23 as in "Hancock's Car"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th September 2019, 11:54 PM

Nothing immediately springs to mind, and am not sure what the "within a £1000 box of luxury...." is/means? Box of what? Have you any further thoughts/ideas?

He was referring to the cars stuck in traffic jams on the road to South coast. I remember it was so today in his description. Bit like plastic use reference in "Fred's Pie Stall" from the 50s which has now come to pass.

My grandfather lived to 94 and never saw a plastic bag in his life.

Something like that.

I don't remember him venturing far from East Cheam very often.
He went on holiday with Bill but that was on a bike, I think.

There are several episodes that involve cars, including "The New Car", "The Monte Carlo Rally", "Back from Holiday", "Hancock's Car" (although it doesn't move in this one) & "The Picnic". I played them all this afternoon and, while it made for an enjoyable two and a half hours,, there is no dialogue of the sort suggested.

Gosh,the sacrifices some people make in the name of research.

Yes, "The New Car" was on today on Radio 4+. The OP's request has certainly got me stumped.