Spaced Page 8

Wait a sec...Julian Barratt was supposed to play Brian? That would have been an entirely different show.

...kind of fun to imagine, but I prefer the actual casting.

Er, he'd still have the same part, wouldn't he?

Sure, the parts would be the same. But surely Julian Barratt would have delivered a notably different performance than Mark Heap. Not that I have anything against Mark Heap. Not at all. I think he was amazing. I just think Julian would have been great in a fairly different way. It's a great character, regardless.

Imagine someone other than Simon playing Tim. Pretty different show, no? I think all good actors bring something unique to the characters they portray.

Spaced is always a weird one for me, I've always really liked it but never quite seen why some rate it as one of the best comedies around, never found it side splitting funny. You can definitely see its influence on stuff like Community. The performances are great and Edgar Wright's direction definitely makes it stand out. I think two series were enough. Any show that features the great John Simm, Mark Heap and Michael Smiley always get a thumbs up for me.

I always found Jessica Hynes the most interesting from the cast. Besides a small cameo in Shaun Of The Dead she seems to have cut herself off from the whole Wright/Pegg/Frost gang - or they cut her out, who knows. She probably hasn't gone onto the fame they have but she's spread her wings far more. She's just recently won a BAFTA for There She Goes. I really liked W1A, Twenty Twelve and Years and Years. Really liked her in The Royle Family too. Has acted on stage and has directed her first film with The Fight. Has worked steadily in film, with her best known work being Bridget Jones and Nativity films, Son Of Rambow and Confetti (which I really liked). Looking at her CV, she was working since 1993 and shows she was grafting away at her career before she hit the paydirt with Spaced. I think it's unfair some totally write her off or that she never lived up to the hype. I always wondered how in love was she with all the film nods and stuff like Wright and Pegg were.

I might feel differently to it with a rewatch but it's a very good comedy show.

Quote: Looper007 @ 2nd September 2019, 4:46 AM

I always found Jessica Hynes the most interesting from the cast. Besides a small cameo in Shaun Of The Dead she seems to have cut herself off from the whole Wright/Pegg/Frost gang - or they cut her out, who knows. She probably hasn't gone onto the fame they have but she's spread her wings far more. She's just recently won a BAFTA for There She Goes. I really liked W1A, Twenty Twelve and Years and Years. Really liked her in The Royle Family too. Has acted on stage and has directed her first film with The Fight. Has worked steadily in film, with her best known work being Bridget Jones and Nativity films, Son Of Rambow and Confetti (which I really liked). Looking at her CV, she was working since 1993 and shows she was grafting away at her career before she hit the paydirt with Spaced. I think it's unfair some totally write her off or that she never lived up to the hype.

Yeah, I like Jessica a lot and it does seem a shame that she never quite made it as big as she deserved.

As for Spaced, looking back I still find it a great sitcom, although the constant referencing does get a bit tiresome in hindsight.

Quote: Looper007 @ 2nd September 2019, 4:46 AM

She seems to have cut herself off from the whole Wright/Pegg/Frost gang................. [or they cut her out,.................

The latter, the way I read it in an interview, and she wasn't very happy about it.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of the documentary 'Skip to the End'? Is it a bonus feature on any of the DVDs? It seems to have completely slipped under my radar.

Quote: EllieS @ 25th August 2021, 10:29 AM

Does anyone know where I can get hold of the documentary 'Skip to the End'? Is it a bonus feature on any of the DVDs? It seems to have completely slipped under my radar.

I'll check my box-set when I get a chance - VERY busy at the moment.

Have made a note :)

Quote: EllieS @ 25th August 2021, 10:29 AM

YES! It's in the box-set, with a load of other goodies on Disc 3 of "Previously Unseen Material"

Very good box-set actually.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th August 2021, 12:02 PM

YES! It's in the box-set, with a load of other goodies on Disc 3 of "Previously Unseen Material"

Very good box-set actually.

Ah, great! Off to eBay I go... Thanks for checking!

Box set finished, not that there was a lot to it, as it only ran for two series, but what series, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Despite it being really for the young 'uns, I liked it a lot, despite being an old fart.

Only three discs, with the third being profiles, interviews with all the main actors (didn't recognise Michael Smiley who played Tyres O'Flaherty - only his voice gave him away!!) and such like, with Simon, Jessica primarily and producer Edgar Wright going back to where most of the scenes were filmed. Unusually, for example, a lot of the interior house scenes were actually filmed in the house, and when the present owners told Simon and Jessica that a couple of fans were outside taking photos, the two of them went into the street to greet the gobsmacked fans - nice.

Everyone wanted a third series, but it was not to be; but there was a nice touch at the end of the third disc, sort of relating to this, involving Tim and Daisy in a short skit...............but I won't spoil it for you.

Have a tenuous link to this series - my daughter's first boyfriend was a very good skateboarder (it was him with mates in the BBC ident a few years back you might remember). Well, it was his videos Tim and Daisy are watching and cringing at the crashes at the beginning of Series 1 Episode 7 "Ends", and in the commentary, Jessica mentions it was a Franklin Stevens that supplied the videos. Apparently, they got in contact with him to ask for permission - he didn't get any money for it, which I thought was a bit mean.

10/10

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 29th May 2013, 10:45 AM

The direction doesn't tire me out, I love it. I wish more sitcoms had a bit of invention and character behind the camera.

That would be fine if we had the output of sitcoms we did in the 70s to 90s but at today's trickle, there'd be no room left for conventional sitcoms, especially as the majority of shows called sitcoms these days really aren't. Imo the most radical thing to happen in sitcom now would be to create new trad studio sitcoms for mainstream co-gen viewing.

I like Spaced after the enjoying the Cornetto Trilogy films, I'm not so sure I would like it as much if these films hadn't been made. And I see the sitcom as more of a trial run or rehearsal for the movies than anything else. If the creative team had wanted to make more sitcoms together, well they've had 20 years to do it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th January 2022, 9:27 PM

I like Spaced after the enjoying the Cornetto Trilogy films, I'm not so sure I would like it as much if these films hadn't been made. And I see the sitcom as more of a trial run or rehearsal for the movies than anything else. If the creative team had wanted to make more sitcoms together, well they've had 20 years to do it.

I certainly don't see them as a trial or rehearsal - I think the films came out of inspiration from the TV series, and someone giving Pegg the dosh to do so.