Dad's Army - The Lost Episodes Page 6

Quote: Aaron @ 29th August 2019, 1:26 PM

Modern HD TV can portray a wider range of colours than SD TV of the 1960s and 70s.

Things were so much simpler in the B&W days. Pleased

Finally caught up with the first one and enjoyed it immensely. McNally does a fine Mainwaring and Bathurst really captured that superior air of Wilson. Eldon as always was on top form. The only sour note for me is that Matthew Horne was completely miscast as Walker, none of the spiv attitude at all

I've just watched episode one and I give it an unqualified "thumbs up".

Not every character is identical to the original but I don't think we could ever have expected them to be: the overall production is excellent and the Perry and Croft script still shines despite its age of 50 years.

One thing's for sure: it's vastly superior to a great many modern-day "comedy" programmes that have graced our TV screens.

Super stuff! Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st September 2019, 1:00 PM

the Galton and Simpson script still shines

You sure you watched it?!

Pfffff!

:)

Quote: Aaron @ 1st September 2019, 1:43 PM

You sure you watched it?!

D'oh! I see what I did there! :$

(Original post now edited in order to give credit where it's due)

I've just watched episode two which contains one of the funniest jokes I've ever heard in a sitcom.

I didn't see it coming and even when it had come and gone, it took me a moment to realise that there had actually been a joke - and an exceedingly good one.

I wonder how many viewers missed it? (Yes, I know - probably just me!)

In any event, I think they've done an absolutely marvellous job of recreating these missing episodes.

The missing episodes are funny, but these outtakes run them close!

Quote: Rood Eye @ 1st September 2019, 9:05 PM

The missing episodes are funny, but these outtakes give them a run for their money!

Those were the only clips I've seen of these remakes and it does make me want to get them on DVD when they come out. Surprised at how close the actors sound to the original characters, the ones I heard speak.

Constant corpsing by an actor is usually a sign they aren't concentrating or taking it seriously enough, as it looked here. He seems to be too intent on enjoying himself. I know these are light hearted remakes but actors can get very annoyed when one of them keeps cocking it up, as it makes it harder for them to focus.

Having now watched all three missing episodes, I have to say I enjoyed each of them every bit as much as I've ever enjoyed an original episode.

And that is praise indeed!

I thought they were brilliantly done, with obvious love.

Dire. Absolute dire. And the cast was wrong in the main.

For those who were unable to watch these episodes on UK Gold, they are to be shown free to air on the Yesterday Channel on August 25/26/27 @ 9pm.

Yes I watched two of them but missed the Walker one, the one I most wanted to see. Never mind, because I have a feeling knowing Yesterday, it won't be long before they're on again, and again. However, I wasn't too taken with the cast choice for Walker so maybe I shouldn't hope for too much.

The other two eps were quite Frazer centred, which I didn't mind at all, another of my favourite characters, and I was pleased with the choice of actor for him, who did a good job. Pike's I also liked, and Godfrey's. Jones' did annoying scene hogging adequately, Wilson's was a bit bland if I'm being honest, Mainwaring's was pretty good, if just lacking a bit of intensity. Hodges was nowhere near loud or irritating enough, I didn't get him at all.

Didn't like the fawning audience track one bit, which together with the looser casual style of acting, I thought made for a self consciously conspicuous tribute show rather than a straight authentic looking version of the original shoot. That's not to take away from the laudable act of reproducing in colour (a bonus) three idiotically destroyed b&w eps.

Oh yes, Corporal Colonel (ha ha) Square was very good I thought, reinforcing my belief he was underused in the colour series. Wouldn't want him as a regular, but just half a dozen more would've lifted some of the more tired later eps. Morning.

Yes, thought it was OK, and agree the Walker was a bit limp and disagree over Pike as he lost the character completely imo, otherwise everyone else fine, BUT found myself visualising the original actors all the way through, WHICH brings me on to the last episode where Mainwaring stripped off to put his uniform on - I read somewhere that Lowe flatly refused to ever appear sans trousers, so how did that play out in the original I wonder.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 30th August 2020, 9:37 AM

Yes I watched two of them but missed the Walker one, the one I most wanted to see. Never mind, because I have a feeling knowing Yesterday, it won't be long before they're on again, and again.

It's on Drama 3pm this afternoon (Sunday) and again Bank Holiday Monday afternoon. Also available on their catch-up service UKTVPlay.

I agree that Walker's character wasn't captured at all, thought Pike was played too gormlessly and Frazer didn't seem quite right. The best, as you say, was Corporal Colonel Square.

But, different actors playing the characters in such as Macbeth & Hamlet, and putting their own interpretations on them, have enabled the original scripts to survive for 400 years.