Inside No 9 - Series Four Page 4

In a move that has surprised nobody and please everyone, series 5 next year! Yes!

Well there was no trying to spot the hare this week.

What are you talking about, it's the one week I managed it.

So glad they have another series!

I managed to find all the hares this series. I can't not see them now. I've spent far too much time hunting for them in past series' that they just jump out at me now. Though obviously in the final episode you couldn't NOT see it. It was a great episode and a great ending to a great series. I love the idea that if they hadn't turned off the VHS in horror they would have eventually seen him get down and turn off the recording so he could put the tape in the safe. And the little dinging sound everytime a wish was made was nice. I love the darker episodes. I was a little dismayed that this series had less dark and horribleness than last series, but I did enjoy every episode. My favourites right now are To Have and to Hold and Zanzibar. Zanzibar obviously very light, but it was just so brilliantly done and one of the funnier ones. To Have and to Hold was the most awkward thing I've ever watched live with a friend before. *shudder* I'm very very pleased that it's getting a 5th series, and also happy that it picked up a comedy.co.uk award. Well deserved. Thanks to those of you who voted for it. I know I did. I think the public is really starting to catch on to this show and that makes me very happy.

One thing I will also say about this series is that I think Steve really kind of outshined Reece overall. Steve's versatility and ability to bring out such rich and compelling characters, especially his physical humour in Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room just really wowed me. I might almost like him more than I like Reece now. (Sorry Zooo if that's blasphemy. I do still love Reece very much).

(PS: I might come back to posting here now that I've escaped the cult I was in. Long story. Sorry for my absence.)

Davidaaaa!

I didn't notice the dings! Another thing I'll have to look out for on a rewatch, as well as almost all the hares.
(It is blasphemy, but Steve's amazing so it's allowed.)
I do think this show has slowly found them a new audience. My mum, for example, suddenly loves the show, whereas she would never have gone near any of their other shows.

It's a beautiful thing. My parents like the show, too. So do Mark's. It's a weirdly family friendly show. Or maybe just a weird family show. Probably not meant for kids though.

I think a lot of people might start to get irritated if their main obsession in life suddenly became mainstream, but I'm genuinely happy that those guys are getting the recognition they deserve. Maybe there will be some awards out of this series.

(And thanks for forgiving my blaspheme. *kisses a promo photo of Reece on bedroom wall* 'Sorry Reece, I didn't mean it')

In your opinion did Reece's character make the wish for the son's legs to be healed out of kindness or as a punishment? He had one line where he said 'everyone makes wishes that are self-serving and they always backfire. no one's ever tried to do something good for someone else' or something along those lines. But surely he should have realized that the undead guy (what's his name?) tried exactly that when he wished for his wife to be more healthy. He wanted to do something kind for her and it still backfired. Do you think Reece's character knew it was going to backfire and wanted Steve's son to die since Steve clocked him over the head with the hare? Was it a vengeance thing, or done in earnest? I can't decide. I'm leaning toward vengeance. That's the darker option, and I like dark.

I think I may have finally spotted the hare this episode...

Fantastic series and of course I voted for them in the awards. My favourite has to be Bernie Clifton's Dressing room, how they cram so much tension, pathos and drama into a short time slot still amazes me. I will rewatch them all though, and maybe even some of the other series, I've already watched The Twelve Days of Christine a couple of times, that's probably the stand out one if I had to choose from them all.

Roll on Series 5!

My favorite show besides Peaky Blinders and The Boys going today. Wished it got the world wide exposure of Black Mirror, as I feel that show has got weaker while Inside No 9 has got stronger.

Series 4 was probably the best one so far, with Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room and Zanzibar been two of the best things Shearsmith and Pemberton have done. To Have and To Hold Not probably the scariest thing they done cause things like this really happen, with a great performance from Pemberton. Once Removed was really great as well. Tempting Fate one of the shows strongest finales. The only one that I felt let this series down was And The Winner is....

Recently rewatching the show on Netflix, I find the strongest episodes aren't the comedy ones but darker and more downbeat ones. Episodes like Diddle Diddle Dumpling, The Riddle of the Sphinx, The Devil of Christmas, Cold Comfort, The 12 days of Christine and Tom and Gerri, Sardines has some comedy in there but the ending turns that on it's head. But you get some fantastic comedy episodes in A Quiet Night In, The Bill and La Couchette.

I rate this show over The League of Gentlemen and Psychoville as the best thing Pemberton and Shearsmith have done.

Quote: Looper007 @ 31st August 2019, 2:18 AM

I rate this show over The League of Gentlemen and Psychoville as the best thing Pemberton and Shearsmith have done.

Inside No. 9 presents us with characters who could (and probably do) exist in the world around us.

Also, it presents us with different characters and different situations in every episode.

From a writing standpoint, that's no mean feat.

As you suggest, some episodes are better than others but, on the whole, it is as you also suggest a highly commendable series.