What are you watching on TV? Page 2,158

Quote: Chappers @ 29th August 2019, 9:23 PM

That's Star Wars Herc, not Star Trek.

I really can't believe you've posted that, as yet again you haven't read my post properly. Do you really think I don't know who/what/where/when/how/why/ were in Star Trek and Star Wars?!? Jeeeeesus........................... Angry

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th August 2019, 7:23 PM

Fascinating documentary on ITV about RAF pilots training for the F-35 Lightning II. It looks like a computer game but without the notable benefit of being able to reload and try again if you smash in to the ground. The helmets have to be specially made for each pilot so they fit perfectly as many commands are issued by the pilots eye movements.

Amazing to see yet again the English student F 35 Lightning pilot unable to "start it up" as the software would not let him log on to the plane's cockpit display. Last week it was virtually the "switch it all off and try it again" until the flight controller had to tell the cameraman to look the other way as he told the pilot how to get past the password requirement! This is an $85,000,000 aircraft, not a £300 ipad, for crying out loud. Be great if there you were 10,000 feet above the ground, flying at 1200 mph and get the Blue Screen of Death - literally, as it seems you can't fly these manually (?) :S

Also, forgot to mention the accuracy at which these trainee pilots in their Hawk trainer jets have to work to, when the female pilot had to fly a one hour "sortie" north and hit a target of a barn on a remote farm with only a 5 second margin of error on each side of the designated time!! Not only had to time her flight to perfection, but as she got closer she had to filter out all the other military and civilian air control messages flying about the airways. Mind boggling, as she passed the test by hitting the target only 2 seconds early!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st August 2019, 12:15 AM

Also, forgot to mention the accuracy at which these trainee pilots in their Hawk trainer jets have to work to, when the female pilot had to fly a one hour "sortie" north and hit a target of a barn on a remote farm with only a 5 second margin of error on each side of the designated time!! Not only had to time her flight to perfection, but as she got closer she had to filter out all the other military and civilian air control messages flying about the airways. Mind boggling, as she passed the test by hitting the target only 2 seconds early!!

The fancy computer technology that makes such accuracy possible is the same that gave them problems when trying to start things up.

"Revolutions: The Ideas that Changed the World"

The final episode "Robots" has been fascinating, especially as it was fronted by the incongruously named Jim Al-Khalili who I find is excellent at putting over ideas in science, time and physics. Always enjoy his progs as he's not so theatrical as Brian Cox.

Where we are at with robots is fascinating and there is so much more to come, of course - especially the ones that are now being developed that can think about a problem before they "solve" it themselves.

Oddly enough, I find it strange that I feel sorry for them when the boffins do their best to push them over or trip them up, to see how long and if they can correct themselves. Naughty scientists!

The Jumbo Jet: 50 years in the sky. (Channel 5)

Brilliant program about the concept of the first massive passenger airliner.
Boeing nearly went bust designing it, being 100's of millions of Dollars in debt before they sold one.
Not only that, they couldn't get the 4 engines right. They kept flaming out and blowing up if the pilot asked for too much thrust.
Out of 90 engines they bought (at nearly $1M each) they blew up 70 of them.

The solution - limit the thrust the pilot could use.

Fascinating show

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 29th August 2019, 10:45 PM

What amazes me about Star Trek is that they're on a 5 year mission so what happens if someone gets sacked three weeks out? Do they still get paid and spend their day in Ten Forward getting drunk and porking off duty rocket women in short skirts or do they have to stay in their room with Klingon on the door?

And it's always "Where no man has been before" and they often meet humans from remote outposts.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th August 2019, 10:55 PM

I really can't believe you've posted that, as yet again you haven't read my post properly. Do you really think I don't know who/what/where/when/how/why/ were in Star Trek and Star Wars?!? Jeeeeesus........................... Angry

Yes!

Watching the start of 'Their Finest'.What bloody morons the Brexiteers who don't have a clue what a real threat is.

Quote: Briosaid @ 31st August 2019, 9:23 PM

Watching the start of 'Their Finest'.What bloody morons the Brexiteers who don't have a clue what a real threat is.

You could almost say the same for Remoaners.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2019, 9:26 PM

You could almost say the same for Remoaners.

To put it simply, you're talking (Typical Brexiteer) bollocks. Truly Chappers, I thought you were more intelligent than that.

Quote: Briosaid @ 31st August 2019, 9:30 PM

To put it simply, you're talking (Typical Brexiteer) bollocks. Truly Chappers, I thought you were more intelligent than that.

well you lot are all worrying about what MIGHT happen when we leave - with or without a deal. You don't KNOW anything unless you've got a crystal ball.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2019, 9:58 PM

You don't KNOW anything unless you've got a crystal ball.

The future is certainly uncertain (see what I did there?) but the fact that the Remain lobby includes many of the most powerful people in Britain - well-known and not so well-known - leads me to believe we might still be in the EU come November 1st.

If so, things won't have changed much by December 1st or January 1st or . . . the list goes on. Laughing out loud

Whatever happens,most people will still have to work all their lives to keep a roof over their head and have enough food to eat.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2019, 9:58 PM

well you lot are all worrying about what MIGHT happen when we leave - with or without a deal. You don't KNOW anything unless you've got a crystal ball.

Actually I DO have a crystal ball, bought some years ago in Queen Street, Glasgow.

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2019, 9:11 PM

Yes!

Cheeky Monkey. You have already by your own admission a couple of times stated that you do not read long posts............

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2019, 9:11 PM

Yes!

........and prefer one liners (I presume your brain crashes), so I suggest you comment only on those in future. :P

Quote: Briosaid @ 31st August 2019, 11:40 PM

Actually I DO have a crystal ball, bought some years ago in Queen Street, Glasgow.

I knew you were a Witch. Did you know Macbeth?