TPTV Films Page 5

"Guilt Is My Shadow" (1950)

Apart from the ironically unmissable tiny Esma Cannon, Carol Vordeman's "Mum" Lana Morris and (blink and you'll miss him) Desmond Llewelyn - (Pub customer uncredited), I didn't recognise anyone in this film. If you like "gor blimey trousers" and a bit o' SW scenery and country air (oooh ahhh - proper job), then this is the film for you.

Bordering over long dull thriller, it had a nasty villain and stupid over-honest suspect who could so easily have got away with it (Spoiler alert!) Too late, oh well, don't suppose anyone will ever watch it on here.................... only idiots watch films like this. Huh?

I was very surprised when I discovered that Esma was from Oz and only in her fifties when doing the Carry On's.A guaranteed scene stealer.

Yes, so was I and that she died in France, presumably on holiday as it seems her English husband died in England 10 years later and, according to the IMDb:-
Her death was only discovered by her former colleagues and friends after a 'Where are they now?' feature in 'Films and Filming' a number of years after her passing.

"A Tale of Two Cities" (1958)

Book I've never read, even though I am a Dickens' fan and a film I have only seen in part previous.

Just about kept track of who was who and what was going on and presume CD wrote it as a warning to the powers that be in England, the people cannot be left to rot in their wretched lives without there being serious consequences.

My wife is a fan of Dirk Bogarde, so we were determined to sit through the two hours it took to tell the tale - I don't think it will be reading the book!

I'm sure I saw Mr Barraclough (Brian Wilde) very briefly with one line of script, but he doesn't even get a mention in the "uncredits", whereas Benny Green (Ladykillers), George Woodbridge (always jovial, jolly innkeeper) and, ooh now, what's his name..................No, no don't tell me it's on the tip of my tongue. Oh yeah! Sam Kydd as Joe the Coach Guard.

I often wonder what Charles Dickens would have made of the Muppets adaptation of a Christmas Carol? As it was pretty tight with the story line and very professionally presented.
So would he have approved? Or would his legendary temper get the better of him and have him call Kermit out to Kentish marsh at dawn, where both clad in Ulster coats give fire in a bid to retain their honour?

Yikes!

Yikes indeed Herc .Very few people are prepared to speak out on the subject of Victorian Authors legendary tempers. Oscar Wilde was known for keeping a sock full of farthings inside his waistcoat and George Eliot may have been a woman but she could punch like a man thanks to a brass knuckle duster she was given by Emily Bronte. And don't get me started on John 'Razor' Rudkin!

"Noose for a Lady" (1953)

Nice little murder mystery, where Dennis Price is playing against form in turning out to be the "nice guy" who with his logical mind turns detective to reverse the evidence and help clear his cousin's name as she is 7 days away from the gallows.

Esma Cannon again in it as a dotty Miss Ginch, Trigger's dad Charles Lloyd Pack as a twitchy antiques collector, Eric Messiter, who was in Kind Hearts and Coronets with DP and was the uncle of Ian of "Just A Minute" fame apparently and a few other faces I did not recognise who all had reason to be the real murderer and managed to put the blame on poor Pamela who faced the noose.

All culminates in just 24 hours from the hanging with a good old Agatha Christie style "one of you (seven of them) here in this room is the real murderer, and that is............", which I have to say I didn't see coming, so a nice finish to a film with a difference.

I see The Green Man is on the 4th Sept.
Now that is one I would want to see again.

"by heaven I'd thrash the life out of you, if I didn't have to read the 9 o'clock news."

Quote: john tregorran @ 31st August 2019, 12:11 AM

I see The Green Man is on the 4th Sept.
Now that is one I would want to see again.

"by heaven I'd thrash the life out of you, if I didn't have to read the 9 o'clock news."

Wonderful film with the even more wonderful Alastair Sim. When he is sitting in the very quiet lounge having set his plan in motion and all was going well, until suddenly the unnoticed lady string trio strike up!! Laughing out loudLaughing out loudLaughing out loud HIS FACE and how he gets around the "problem" is absolutely hilarious.

There's some Will Hays coming up and "The Day the Earth Caught Fire" and "Green for Danger".Two I would look out for.
That's more than enough to whet my appetite,I'm going to check out youtube.

Recently finished watching his box-set, so not at the moment, especially I am always looking out for the one that are never released on DVD.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 29th August 2019, 11:04 PM

It wasn't me. IF you had read the post correctly, you would have noticed that I was copy/paste quoting from the IMDb, which despite being founded by two Englishmen, has been taken over by the Yanks.

I totally agree, I hate to see American words/phrases creeping in on this forum; BUT I wish you would read posts properly and not just scan them and then give a knee jerk reaction! [/i] It is very annoying!!

I just wish that your knee-jerk reactions did not take things so seriously!

Quote: Chappers @ 31st August 2019, 9:07 PM

I just wish that your knee-jerk reactions did not take things so seriously!

You jerked off before me................... Unimpressed

"Boys in Brown" (1949)

In B&W so presume the Borstal uniforms were brown, but I couldn't see today's delinquents putting up with wearing short trousers! Richard Attenborough, Dirk Bogarde, Jimmy Hanley, Michael Medwin and Alfie Bass et al all with a "case of the knees", with Jack Warner as the Governor trying to understand them and a pretty Barbara Murray as Attenborough's girlfriend waiting on the outside, along with his Mum Thora Hird.

Good fare with muted violence as nasty piece of work Bogarde uses mind tactics to get his way with the others on an escape plan.
Missed this at the beginning of the film though, as one of the two robbers in the getaway car driven by Attenborough is Clive Dunn - Holdup Man (uncredited) at the aborted bank robbery......................

"The alarm's gone off! Don't panic! Police on their way! Don't panic!! Every man for himself and report back to HQ Quarters!"