Make Mine Mink

Just watching this now on London Live.

Made in 1960 it has a tremendous cast. Terry-Thomas, Irene Handl, Hattie Jacques, Kenneth Williams being the major comedy actors plus Jack Hedley, Raymond Huntley, Elspeth Duxbury, Raymond Huntley, Sidney Taffler, Peter Vaughan, Freddie Frinton plus the gorgeous Billie Whitelaw who I've had a soft spot for since the Omen.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/make_mine_mink/cast_crew/

Yes, I have it in a Terry-Thomas box set (along with "School for Scoundrels", "Private's Progress", "Too Many Crooks", "The Naked Truth" and "Brothers in Law"). Don't get London Live in this neck of the woods but it also appears on Talking Pictures TV every so often.

London Live does have the occasional gem in amongst the general rubbish they show.

I normally do Chappers, old chap; but didn't in this case (search), so in "compensation" I hereby bump up yours. :)

"OK, so was going to give a bruising review of this after 20 minutes of viewing and it seemingly going nowhere, which is a bit of a disappointment considering Terry-Thomas and Hattie Jacques starred in it amongst others.

So on checking summat abart it on the IMDb, I find virtually all glowing reports from reviewers :- 10/10 "Maybe the best British comedy of the 60s--if not ever!" (EXCUSE ME!?), 10/10 "An outstanding British comedy", and so on, and so, retrieving it from the deleted files folder on me digi-box I decided to give it a second look.

And after 30 minutes I was surpr....................NO, still disappointed.

I can only assume those people were drunk when they watched it, as I found it OK.............just OK, with sort of surprising cameo appearances of Kenneth Williams and Freddy Frinton (very good! The perfect drunk), but both were on the screen for only about 2 minutes apiece.

To cap it all, you had a lovely lady in Billy Whitelaw, who I swear was Tommy Steele in drag, but was one of those people who got more attractive as they got older.

So, after nearly 1½ hours, was it worth it? Just about, and just when I was beginning to think T-T wasn't even going to use one of his classic catchphrases...................he did............ The very last thing to be said "Good Show", but as far as the film went, it wasn't."

I'm currently watching Make Mine Mink and I think it's a commendable cinematic effort in many ways - particularly when one remembers it was released almost 60 years ago.

It's not "sitcom funny" but very few films ever are. Instead, it trots along nicely at "comedy drama" pace and its excellent writer and top-class actors are well-matched in what I think is a polished and intelligent production.

I've always been a fan of Sydney Tafler: I don't know why. Laughing out loud