American remake that went badly wrong. Page 4

Well, Pinkman was always the great tragic figure of BB, so it'll be interesting to see how he's doing. Hopefully Walter is dead, as having him alive would be slightly farcical and undercut the BB finale.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th August 2019, 10:14 AM

I know I posted this before, but there was a pilot of a Yank Young Ones 'Oh No, It's Them.' I'd be curious to see it, even though it was bound to be crap.

Extremely late follow up but again, not one to start new threads... This fascinating topic was brought up in a clip on the worst remakes ever made and even they didn't have a snippet. It's rarer than a teetotal student. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uzBpLqOoy8A&t=186s As I said, it's bound to be beyond awful, I'm just curious. Not gay.

Surprised that someone as professional as Nigel Planer had difficulty with his American colleagues.

I would imagine he had professional rather than personal issues. The Wankees couldn't possibly have done a good job. I've regularly ploughed the net for info and it's all on this fansite http://www.faqs.org/faqs/tv/british-comedy/young-ones/part2/ - though there's also the clay opening on BoobTube. All ten sex of it.

Thanks for the link that looks like a good read for my next poo time. Just found this:

Robert Llewellyn wrote in his book The Man in the Rubber Mask (1994):

"The Young Ones was taken over the Atlantic in the mid eighties, and Nigel [Planer] was the only member of the British cast to go. He had experienced a fairly hideous time, worried sick that he was going to have to stay there for six years with a group of people he hated who managed to make The Young Ones into a sort of grubby Benny Hill Show. He was hugely relieved when the pilot was a flop and he was released from his contract".

So he really didn't like it if Robert is going to suggest Nigel 'hated' them. Maybe it was a bit of a culture shock for Nigel as well. Shame Nigel was never in Bottom. They could have written any part for him.

I'm glad he wasn't in Bottom. Bottom is total and utter f**king shit.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 4th March 2021, 10:16 PM

I mentioned Bottom because perhaps the trip to America prevented Nigel from taking part in Bottom in a sour grapes from Rik and Ade or logistics sense. I don't think Rik or Ade would be like that to someone but they always write parts for their mates.

Have you ever elaborated on your hatred of Bottom besides calling it f**king shit/utter wank/pissing bollocks etc? I thought you were an academic :D

I didn't like it when the Americans remade the English language

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 4th March 2021, 11:35 PM

Hold me back....................Hold me back!!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 5th March 2021, 12:07 AM

Hold me back....................Hold me back!!

I'm sure the Green beret chaps are on red alert. Applying the bold tags and double exclamation marks tells them this renegade means business and there could even be a fully loaded stapler involved Laughing out loud

Besides most of the American population actually adopting the English language I think the USA demonstrates other ways how they have affection for Britain and British people. How often do you see them using the word pennies / pence instead of cents? I see it all the time which shows Americans like the word penny. Maybe it conjures up images of scruffy pickpockets dancing in basements with other criminals in a Dickensian London.

Yeah. Them badass dudes need a motherf**king dissing.
I'm writing a thesis to eradicate Latin from English. It's my magnum opus.
I remember the American Dear John. The Beeb sold it to the US, who f**ked with it and then sold it back. Weird. It was total shit too.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 4th March 2021, 11:35 PM

Stirrer :P

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 4th March 2021, 10:16 PM

I loved the Young Ones but could never get into Bottom.Angelic

Quote: rrr 969 @ 16th August 2019, 4:14 PM

What else is good in American drama series except those two? I'd like to know, maybe I've missed something?

Let it not be a recommendation, you don't know what others usually watch, but what is good in dramas (2-3) in Your opinion? Thanks a lot for your answer beforehand, you know it could make my month.

Better late than never - i have two for you but with a caveat -they were both cut short by the American writers strike, but still worth a watch.

Deadwood, up there with the very best - but with language that would make Michael Monkhouse blush.

and the beautiful 'Pushing daisies' I have never seen any thing quite like it, before or since'.

Those pesky writers...