The ethics of how you dress child singers

If anyone has heard of Young Talent Time (the Australian variety show 1971-88 original version), they might be interested in asking serious questions about how the adults involved decided the concert outfits for the young female pre-teenagers in the cast.

Notably at one concert in Sydney, a young girl singer in the group was made to wear a costume that went see-through under the stage lights. Hopefully it was just a mistake and not deliberate.

Sorry Natalie but anything called Young Talent Time I would avoid like the plague.

It's not so much a matter of how we dress child performers on TV: it's basically a matter of how we dress children on and off TV.

Different people have different views on the subject but rather than ask serious questions about an Australian TV show from the 70s and 80s, those concerned about presenting very young children in an overtly adult manner might like to ask questions of a certain modern-day celebrity parent whose still-preteen daughter has been posing for the camera dressed up and made-up like a preening pouting 25-year-old showgirl since the age of eight.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 26th August 2019, 8:50 AM

a certain modern-day celebrity parent whose still-preteen daughter has been posing for the camera dressed up and made-up like a preening pouting 25-year-old showgirl since the age of eight.

Viz?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th August 2019, 10:05 AM

Viz?

No names, no pack drill - but if you think of a famous biblical river that the Israelites crossed to reach the promised land and in which, many years later, Jesus was baptised, I think you'll get it. Pleased

Thames?

the incident happened at a YTT concert at the end of the original show's run in 1988. Poor Courtney Compagnino had to wear a costume that went transparent when exposed to the concert lights, including um, outlining her private area. At least one later convicted Jimmy Savile-type worked on the program - and found his first victim there.

Hopefully things have changed, but 20 years ago when I'd tune to the Mexican channels for some alternative language offerings I'd often see preteen girls dressed very scantily and provocatively. It was creepy.

In nthe early days of Channel 4 they had an early-morning prog featuring kids dressed as pop tarts. They axed it when they realised they were attracting a rather dubious audience...

I was trying to remember the name of that. Kids caked in make up singing songs with raunchy lyrics. It only lasted a few episodes.

Wasn't there a programme on TV-AM as well?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 27th August 2019, 3:13 PM

Wasn't there a programme on TV-AM as well?

Just a tip, guys and gals - if you don't know the answer, FFS don't Google it! Laughing out loud

I do like this thread title, it:S like a Morrissey song.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 27th August 2019, 3:56 PM

Just a tip, guys and gals - if you don't know the answer, FFS don't Google it! Laughing out loud

I should have taken your advice. I Googled the Mexican variety show that I mentioned earlier and came up with this:

https://remezcla.com/film/allegations-sexual-harassment-child-abuse-set-sabado-gigante-arise/

Uncomfortable viewing but strong satire that actually means something. Unlike Italian comedians just dicking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61q2Nt46Jo There used to be an Italian show 'Non e' la RAI' featuring hordes of 14-year-old girls dancing etc. Everyone thought it was fun but I always wondered -a- why no boys and -b-why no full outfits. The oddest part is that the producer recently said, 'The great thing about our girls was they weren't vulgar.' Well yeah cos if they were...