The all in one Consolidatorised Cricket Thread Page 24

Watched a bit of it out of curiosity - why did he say tickets were like gold dust and people paying silly money for them and then a few minutes later says it wasn't at full capacity as there were some empty seats.

Now this is Lords (I've been in the Long Room on Antiques Road Show for Sport Relief some years ago) and I thought being the hallowed ground it would be more respectful, but can someone tell me WTF was all that music being played when there was a break from any action? It was getting on my tits and I was watching on TV!

Herc a lot of tickets are sold to corporates who don't always turn up. So you can be sold out, whilst having empty seats. Also people leave their seats to go walkabouts (especially the Australians).

Still basking in the euphoria of that win. Long overdue. Britain's women have won it 4 times.

Thank you, :) and the annoying music every time there was a "lull"?

A lull a bye ? You get a point for a leg bye.

Quote: Firkin @ 15th July 2019, 12:26 PM

A lull a bye ? You get a point for a leg bye.

I see you're still doing that Michael Monkhouse pun course.

I really don't understand cricket. A couple of weeks ago I thought we were on the verge of crashing out as we'd lost every game.

It was a league and points system Chappers - much like football.
They all had to play each other and the top four go through to the semi-finals.
England lost 2 matches on the bounce and needed to win their remaining matches to get to either third or fourth place.

They actually drew the final on all counts. A very rare thing in limited overs cricket.
The bookies didn't even offer odds on a draw. If they had of done, they wouldn't have had to pay out.
As it was a draw in both runs scored and runs scored in a deciding super-over it went to the team that had scored the most boundaries during the game. (England)
On the final ball of the super-over, New Zealand had to score 1 run to draw (which by then they knew was no good) and 2 to win.
The entire world cup balanced on that last ball.
It came down to milliseconds of timing.
The ball was thrown to the wicket keeper as the NZ player was running as fast as he could for his second and winning run.
The keeper broke the stumps less than half a second before he got there.

And apparently the deflection from Stokes bat should only have been 5 runs! What a game, we will never see such a close finish again. There were just so many crucial incidents that could each have changed the out come. So happy i was in a bad mood and just parked myself in front of Sky's 'free' coverage.

Stokesy eh? Making a habit of this isn't he? Test Cricket, Can't beat it. And Headingly again, what a special ground for England. Ashes all on again. :)

I couldn't post for being in total awe and shock.
Beats Botham's ashes by a mile.
I was offered a seat in a corporate box on Friday + weekend but I reckoned it would be over that day or early saturday.
I kept seeing them out in the seats cheering.

It does beat Botham's ashes, we have more breadth. We didn't even have arguably our best bowler Anderson. Botham is still statistically our best all rounder, could Ben Stokes overtake him ? How good is Jofra Archer at just 24. Fearless with bat and ball.

I keep on misreading his name as Jeffrey Archer - funnily enough, that's just the sort of made-up thing the writer would boast about.

What a game today
Couldn't get TMS in Gozo but followed it on BBC sport
Incredible drama great advert for test cricket.
And the Australian sportsmanship congratulating Stokes was commendable

Quote: beaky @ 25th August 2019, 8:46 PM

I keep on misreading his name as Jeffrey Archer - funnily enough, that's just the sort of made-up thing the writer would boast about.

Ha ha. Disgraced novelist reinvents himself as black sporting hero. Yes I can see it.

I've seen this done before with two players, but singly, never - absolutely incredible!! What skill and dexterity.