Dad's Army - The Lost Episodes Page 5

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th August 2019, 9:48 AM

Oh well, 'spect it'll be repeated on another channel one day................................like The Rebel was - NOT. Angry

There'll be a DVD release later in the year.

I expect it will, then I'll have to wait a couple of years while it drops from £29.95 to a price within my pocket, or someone where money is no object sells it for a £1 on eBay as they have no intention of watching it again.

I can wait. Rolling eyes

Series 2 Episode 3 tonight, The Loneliness Of The Long-Distance Walker. Perfection. Really remarkable casting. Almost brings tears to the eyes, such is the love and attention to detail - and of course, the delicious, hilarious scripts.

I certainly enjoyed watching it. It helped, of course, that it was an original script unlike the recent film. As long as they don't feel the need to come up with new scripts if this enterprise is viewed as a success.

And I suppose there is no reason that the characters shouldn't be played by different actors as time goes on. That way it continues to present itself to new audiences via different mediums. After all Macbeth has been performed without the original actors several times I believe. And Dad's Army episodes themselves have been performed on stage by many an amateur dramatic society over the years.

The cast itself was pretty good. A view gripes when comparing with the originals - but there's bound to be. I thought Pike was played a little too gormlessly. Frazer & Godfrey didn't have a lot to do but we'll see more of Frazer tonight - and also see what they've done with Hodges, Mrs Pike & Colonel Square.

Yes, I thought it was a very good attempt at reigniting a comedy flame which had been extinguished long ago by BBC policy. It helps, of course, when you have a Perry and Croft script at your disposal and it was full of little comic nuances that most scriptwriters would kill for.

Incidentally, I think the audio for the original episode still exists. It would be interesting to hear this and compare the two.

As I cannot get Gold, :( have been enjoying Saluting Dad's Army presented by Alexander Armstrong, which WAS a Gold programme and is now repeated on Yesterday - so I only have to wait.

Bloody Virgin packages

Is there a catch up service a la iPlayer but for Gold?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 26th August 2019, 3:40 PM

Not free to access. Only through the likes of Sky, NOW TV and Virgin if you have the channel already.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 26th August 2019, 3:40 PM

Yes there is - at least on Sky. Additionally the first episode is on again on Friday 8pm and Sunday 5.15pm. Episode 2 is on tonight 8pm and episode 3 tomorrow 8pm. Both are also repeated Friday & Sunday.

I thought Colonel Square was very good tonight.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 26th August 2019, 9:42 PM

I thought Colonel Square was very good tonight.

I totally agree, I think he stole it a bit.

I have really enjoyed the two episodes so far.

Terrible, truly terrible: an ill-cast cast - Mainwaring was just so wooden and forced, and Walker and Pike were awful! Should have used those from BBC's We're Doomed: The Dad's Army Story IMO.

Quote: gb901 @ 27th August 2019, 11:04 PM

Terrible, truly terrible: an ill-cast cast - Mainwaring was just so wooden and forced, and Walker and Pike were awful! Should have used those from BBC's We're Doomed: The Dad's Army Story IMO.

Whether Shakespeare or Wodehouse, Osborne or Orton, Ayckbourn or Cooney, it is the scripts that are the important element. Actors playing the roles come and go. Some are critically acclaimed; others not so much. We can't expect perfection every time - we had that 50 years ago.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 28th August 2019, 12:49 PM

Whether Shakespeare or Wodehouse, Osborne or Orton, Ayckbourn or Cooney, it is the scripts that are the important element. Actors playing the roles come and go. Some are critically acclaimed; others not so much. We can't expect perfection every time - we had that 50 years ago.

That's right, the script's the thing but there's always someone who doesn't seem to fit right, they distract you from enjoying the script because you are focusing on them. Mel Gibson in Hamlet for instance. I'd prefer cartoon versions of these eps. Apparently only one was made.

a way of seeing these sometime but I am noticing from this picture a complete jumble up of uniforms. They have two different colours, was that part of the episode or just unintentional? Either parade (brown) and field (green) uniforms mixed together or just what the costume dept could get? I've never really noticed a difference in them before on TV, but I remember them as mainly green. I think. ? :S

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th August 2019, 11:07 PM

I've never really noticed a difference in them before on TV, but I remember them as mainly green. I think. ? :S

Modern HD TV can portray a wider range of colours than SD TV of the 1960s and 70s.