Brassic

I have just watched the first episode and to be honest I have mixed feelings. On one level there's a story there but on another it is way too exaggerated.
I don't see it as Northern; it's more a homage to Snatch, Lock Stock and The Commitments, and while it's not hilarious it's watchable. For me the swearing and sex are more to bolster its edge as a TV show and the story line on the first one was weak and unreal. That said I'll watch more as it does leave you with enough interest to see what happens next.

I'm only 10 minutes into episode one but, even at this early stage, Brassic has "winner" written all over it.

Excellent cast, really good script with some genuinely funny verbal and visual humour, excellent production values and, to me, it looks totally authentic Manchester.

Well, I say "Manchester" because that's where Michelle Keegan says it's set but I haven't seen anything strictly Mancunian in the first 10 minutes. For my money, it's a few miles north but it's still early days so perhaps there's plenty of strictly Mancunian stuff to come. There's certainly plenty of Manchester in these splendidly colourful and exceedingly dodgy characters.

I think it's entirely possible to recognise a crap program by watching the first few minutes and, by the same token, it's entirely possible to recognise a really good one.

I have a feeling this is a really good one.

Yeah - I think it's got legs.
Pretty derivative, but thoroughly entertaining.

Okay, I've just finished episode one and it's good stuff.

I've now pinpointed the location - mainly because I've just seen a shop I recognise! It's Bacup, about 20 miles north of Manchester.

Some scenes for The League of Gentlemen were filmed there.

The town, I mean - not the shop! Laughing out loud

not seen it yet, but from the photo it seems that men outnumber women in Lancashire by six to one.

Quote: beaky @ 25th August 2019, 12:48 AM

from the photo it seems that men outnumber women in Lancashire by six to one.

The situation is worse than that, Beaky.

The few women we do have up here are, for the most part, significantly less fit than Michelle Keegan. :(

Haha!

Just watched a trailer and an interview with Joseph Gilgun, and it hits the ground running. What a great opening! Just trying to find out how to see it without a Sky subscription...

Beaky it's also on Now tv and they've got a free trial running, I think.

Thanks, Firkin!

Quote: beaky @ 25th August 2019, 12:48 AM

from the photo it seems that men outnumber women in Lancashire by six to one.

...and it's got a thieving gypsy who likes to fight, a mad criminal master mind and the black person dies (not a spoiler). I guess they were trying to impress Rupert Murdock and not the BBC. Trainspotting meets the last of the summer wine. Really enjoying this. Rood, Bacup is just a hill and a bit away from where they shot the last of the summer wine.

I've reached episode five now and it really is good stuff: great writing, great cast, great acting - great everything really!

It's strange to think there was a time well within living memory when any actor "unfortunate" enough to have a regional accent was unlikely ever to become successful in the business.

Those days are, of course, long gone - thank God!

I can see Brassic being recommissioned . . . and then recommissioned again . . . and again.

I've now finished episode six and with it series one.

My favourite line occurs early in the series when one of the characters is told the travellers think he's gay - because he uses long words.

That's almost as funny as it is worrying. Laughing out loud

Unsurprisingly, the guardian love this addition to the raft of "alleged" comedies celebrating Britain's underclass!

It's not bad its just far fetched and a lot of people seem to like that type of thing so good luck to them.