The House In Nightmare Park

OK, some 20 years later but the difference between this and that Benny Hill farrago "Who Done It?" I reviewed Wed., is VERY noticeable.

Didn't think I would like this typical 1970s comedy horror fare, but it turned out to be a well-honed funny film written in part by Terry (Dr Who) Nation I believe.

Certainly suited Frankie Howerd who was very good and made for some laugh out loud moments, for e.g. when he slid down the cellar stairs on his backside - "Oooo, well if I haven't broken it, I've certainly bent it"

AKA (my title) "Battle of the Rugs" - between Frankie and main villain Ray Milland.

Most enjoyable.

Oh damn missed it. THINP is a cult classic that's been waiting for a DVD release for ages. Might 've come out already as I haven't checked for a while. Pretty much established as Howerd's best work with Up Pompeii, he's superb in this. It's a much better 'comedy horror' using the same rough plot line as What A Carve Up which isn't bad, it's just that THINP is brilliant. There is or was even a campaign by Howerd fans to get this film on DVD. Will have to find this channel to see if it comes on again.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 24th August 2019, 2:16 AM

Oh damn missed it. THINP is a cult classic that's been waiting for a DVD release for ages. Might 've come out already as I haven't checked for a while. Pretty much established as Howerd's best work with Up Pompeii, he's superb in this. It's a much better 'comedy horror' using the same rough plot line as What A Carve Up which isn't bad, it's just that THINP is brilliant. There is or was even a campaign by Howerd fans to get this film on DVD. Will have to find this channel to see if it comes on again.

Oh dear Alf. Never mind ay. I'm sure it will be on again. Yes, forgot to mention also that his lugubrious "innocent" face and the "oohhs" and "ahhs" well suited him in this and I can't think of anyone else who could have carried it off as well as he did.

I see it is available on Amazon - only £6

See Amazon product listing

No, it was written for him, it wouldn't've worked with anyone else I don't think. I can't think of anyone who does cowardliness quite as well as him. Minor cult film rather than a classic but still. There used to be a Foster Twelvetrees website in honour of the film but it must've gone. But I'm off to Amazon then if it's now come out ta.

Yes, it's been out on DVD for more than six years, and a Blu-ray remaster will be released in October: https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/the_house_in_nightmare_park/shop/6299/the_house_in_nightmare_park/

I'm not into horrors and as such don't love the film, but it is indeed very enjoyable. Who doesn't adore a bit of Frankie?

I bloody love The House in Nightmare Park! It's great!